PDA

View Full Version : Depressed manual 855 T5R market?

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 14:45
I cannot believe this 97,000 mile manual T5R (Volvo stamped to 80k and lots of history apparently) has not sold at £2200 - it is a car reasonably local to me and looks good. Seller seems like a decent bloke.

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1635895.htm

How depressing this £1.25 a litre thing is....

I don't think there can be too many around at this mileage these days - would be a snip for someone. Unmolested too - just ripe for a remap etc etc!

madhouse
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 14:56
Like you say fuel prices etc etc.

They're not first choice anymore and as such don't seem to be selling unless they're really cheap :o(

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 16:14
Like you say fuel prices etc etc.

They're not first choice anymore and as such don't seem to be selling unless they're really cheap :o(

I am waiting for a gull yellow one!

The thing is, pound per horsepower/reliability/economy/initial outlay/utility, I don't think there is ANYTHING similar. The 850 T5R/R is almost unique in the delivery of high octane fun and maximum utility - as well as, for the performance, MPG which, whilst not exactly frugal, is more than made up for in the general durability and longevity of these vehicles. An M5 Touring on an N plate with 97,000 and history is going to raise a bit more than 2k - RS4 are rapid, but very expensive to buy and have fussy 4x4, E-class are pricey to maintain...
You see what I mean?
(Can't wait for the lists of great cheap but tough, big, hot estates I have forgotten).

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 16:34

On the news this morning they were saying that fuel might go up as much as 30p a litre by the summer! £1.50+ a litre will be quite ridiculous!

cherry1809
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 16:41
Don't think it's the fuel knocking prices down myself.
I've had over 40 cars since passing my test, So I 've seen prices drop and rise of most.
I sold a Rally prepped RS2000 back in 1997 for about 900 quid, Today it'd go for £8k+.
Prices seem to go silly low before shooting back up. You don't see many Yank tanks going for Peanuts, And your doing well to get over 12mpg out of most of them.

Loadsamiles
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 17:15
I cannot believe this 97,000 mile manual T5R (Volvo stamped to 80k and lots of history apparently) has not sold at £2200 - it is a car reasonably local to me and looks good. Seller seems like a decent bloke.

http://www.pistonheads.com/SALES/1635895.htm

I don't think there can be too many around at this mileage these days - would be a snip for someone. Unmolested too - just ripe for a remap etc etc!

That's because you can get a phase 2 car for that money.

You seem to forget. The second hand Volvo market is not an enthusiast market as such. People just look at what is on the market for what price. At the end of the day apart from a select few to most people it's an old boxy Volvo estate that's past its best.
If Mr Buyer can find a 2001 car for £2000 why would he want a 1996 car for more? The 2001 car is more modern, a recent shape, more comfortable more economical, and generally a better buy.

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 17:17
Don't think it's the fuel knocking prices down myself.
I've had over 40 cars since passing my test, So I 've seen prices drop and rise of most.
I sold a Rally prepped RS2000 back in 1997 for about 900 quid, Today it'd go for £8k+.
Prices seem to go silly low before shooting back up. You don't see many Yank tanks going for Peanuts, And your doing well to get over 12mpg out of most of them.

I think you are absolutely right. My rationale when I got my R was that it would probably lose for a year or two, stabilise, then accrue, because essentially, it is a very nice example. MPG is largely irrelevant on cherished cars because the don't do high mileages. My feeling is that NICE T5R and R are in a crossover period where they are not yet 'collectors' cars but have ceased to be aspirational - so fall into the 'beam ends' sector of the market ie people owning them because it is all they can afford rather than because of an appreciation of intrinsic value. People in this situation will dispose of thirsty cars needing fixes apparently costing more than they perceive their car to be worth. VPCUK do appreciate that value! I think it will be a little while until the hot 850 become scarce, but when they do, I think the prospects are OK. Not sure they will ever be Mercedes SL but should keep their value and probably gain in value as time passes.

For me, I just like driving the old girls! DOn't care too much about the cost - although if I do find a suitable LPG conversion I might be tempted!

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 17:26
On the news this morning they were saying that fuel might go up as much as 30p a litre by the summer! £1.50+ a litre will be quite ridiculous!

On the one hand, there is nothing left for the country to flog off so I guess we have to find some way to pay the National Credit Card Bill. That said, I will be interested to see how the inevitable hung Parliament will bear voter discontent at this sort of price.

I can see fuel boycotting becoming a real possibility - but you can't leave it to other people. I allow myself £40 a week on fuel and that is that. If everyone who could cut their fuel-buy by 10% a week, or more, in a concerted way, it would send a powerful message.
I appreciate not everyone can do this.

Tomcat
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 17:27
Your preaching to the choir here, look how long it took for me to sell mine, in the end I didn't get anywhere near what I wanted for it. It's a damn shame that these cars aren't fetching more money, it's a hell of a lot of car.

JelT5
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 17:36
Your preaching to the choir here, look how long it took for me to sell mine, in the end I didn't get anywhere near what I wanted for it. It's a damn shame that these cars aren't fetching more money, it's a hell of a lot of car.

Yep. I'm driving back to UK to check it out tmrw or Thurs TC, so no one else better buy it before my ferry docks at Dover!

Tomcat
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 17:46
Yep. I'm driving back to UK to check it out tmrw or Thurs TC, so no one else better buy it before my ferry docks at Dover!

Mwa ha ha ha ha...... nah, I can't afford it anyway,lol.

JelT5
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 18:02
Mwa ha ha ha ha...... nah, I can't afford it anyway,lol.

Phew! That's ok then lol

I spoke to the owner and told him NOT to sell it otherwise there'll be a cheese eating surrender monkey hitman after him :D

Seriously though, going to have a peek tmrw avo providing there are no upsets with the ferries...

cherry1809
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 18:14

I'm still quite gutted about not getting that :frown:

Tomcat
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 18:22
TBH I wish you had, at least I'd get to see something of it, as it is the guy that bought it isn't on here and he was a bit....odd.

t5 pete
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 18:37
as it is the guy that bought it isn't on here and he was a bit....odd.

I bet you two got on really well then LMAO

:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious:hilarious

Tomcat
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 18:39
Har...de.....har....har..... With friends like you who needs enemies?,lol.

aeroresh
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 20:51
Mine's been doing 850 miles a week @23mpg :(

30p a litre more?.....:cry:

telst5r
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 21:59
So what do you think my T5R is worth.95 Olive Green Estate.130k loads of History but in need of service/ MOT/Two front tyres/repair to glove box.Wheels will need refurbing got someone interested but has only ofered me £650 is this a fair reflection of it's worth.Bodywork is good but interior not so good.........

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 22:05
(Can't wait for the lists of great cheap but tough, big, hot estates I have forgotten).

At the end of the day a Volvo will never get an enthusiast reception that will bump its priceup, i doubt even in many years it will either, they just dont have the following of a Cossy or an RS etc. Its sad but true, even the yellow ones dont fetch a fortune, i would be lucky if mine made £1500 and its a tidy one. As for other estates, i have a 540 V8 BMW Touring, its wayyyyy better than the Volvo in the build dept, it has a better power delivery and once rolling the BM is quicker but the petrol premium of driving the 540 quickly is horrendous but hey ho it sounds the biz :)

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 22:08
So what do you think my T5R is worth.95 Olive Green Estate.130k loads of History but in need of service/ MOT/Two front tyres/repair to glove box.Wheels will need refurbing got someone interested but has only ofered me £650 is this a fair reflection of it's worth.Bodywork is good but interior not so good.........

even breaking it is not always an earner now compared to the hassle, if its rough sell it on and get it out of your life, 650 in your pocket vs spending a fortune on it + time and hassle ....I know what i would do

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 22:08

Auto or manual?

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 22:11
Mine's been doing 850 miles a week @23mpg :(

30p a litre more?.....:cry:

You need LPG methinks?

T4_Al
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 22:26
You cant realistically compare a 4.0 V8 to a T5 engine though can you? 2 very different engines and cars.

The Flying Banana
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 22:32
You cant realistically compare a 4.0 V8 to a T5 engine though can you? 2 very different engines and cars.

true but its a fast estate and was the very car Volvo pitched their T5r against in 1994

martybelfastt5
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 22:33
at the same time its all about whos buying i just paid 2500 for a man black 854t5r 111k pretty clean needs very little, collecting it tomorrow its a real shame that these cars have decreased in value tho on the flip side its good news for the buyer,i have been watching that olive estate on PH seems a real clean one,can remember a time when these cars where well out of my reach,and im delighted that tomorrow il have one in the drive,,

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 08:37
at the same time its all about whos buying i just paid 2500 for a man black 854t5r 111k pretty clean needs very little, collecting it tomorrow its a real shame that these cars have decreased in value tho on the flip side its good news for the buyer,i have been watching that olive estate on PH seems a real clean one,can remember a time when these cars where well out of my reach,and im delighted that tomorrow il have one in the drive,,

He tells me he paid 4k for it 2 years ago.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 08:43
The difference between a scrapper and a really nice one is about £2500. So whatever you pay, look to the instant depreciation on a new FOrd or Vauxhall. This money is a scrappage/swappage allowance - or in other words, nothing. So if you really fancy something, so what if you pay over the odds? My dad spent 10 years searching for a motorhome that was the right price, got it, then was diagnosed with terminal cancer - so good on anyone who just goes for it.
I did, and £3250 later, on something now worth about £2000, I don't really care, cause I have loved EVERY minute of ownership and you can't buy that!

telst5r
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 16:20
Oops, it's an Auto

Tomcat
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 17:10
I did, and £3250 later, on something now worth about £2000, I don't really care, cause I have loved EVERY minute of ownership and you can't buy that!

Well said that man, at the end of the day who cares what it's worth as long as your happy with it and your enjoying it?, it only becomes a problem if you ever decide to sell and why would you when you love it?.

gmotS40T4
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 17:27
Well said that man, at the end of the day who cares what it's worth as long as your happy with it and your enjoying it?, it only becomes a problem if you ever decide to sell and why would you when you love it?.

This is when you get to the point where the car is worth more to you than it is to anyone else, sometimes because of depreciation, and sometimes because of a massive love for the car.

I have a 2004 Audi RS6 that I am running in to the ground because I can't bare to sell it for the £10k it's worth, and a 1995 Fiat Coupe 20vT that I love so much I will never part company with it until it dies completely!

telst5r
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 17:38
I paid £10,500 in 2001.At that rate of depreciation by next year it will be worth absolutely nothing..........!

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 17:44
TC true indeed,my last t5 i paid 1000 pound for it and spent between 2500,>3000 on it loved every second of that car sold it for 1450 do i regret it, not one bit,let the spending begin again on this one lol,,,,,,

Jamest5r
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 18:13
Im spending the best part of £700 having my engine rebuit plus the money i spent on converting it to a manual, but when its done i will have the perfect car for me, i know i will never get my money back but i dont care as i will never sell the car, it puts a smile on my face every time i drive it.

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 28th April 2010, 20:34

This will be the one that sits in the garage for years - I wouldn't want to get rid of it cause I won't find another like it. I might buy something else at some point, but this one will be kept regardless. I reckon it's cheaper than the Mrs to run anyway!

cherry1809
Thursday 29th April 2010, 11:26
This will be the one that sits in the garage for years - I wouldn't want to get rid of it cause I won't find another like it. I might buy something else at some point, but this one will be kept regardless. I reckon it's cheaper than the Mrs to run anyway!

Mate's just pulled his 71' Camaro Z28 out the garage after 20 years.
Was a cover car at one point and he's just about to start restoring it.