PDA

View Full Version : Glovebox catch

ChrisMClark
Sunday 25th April 2010, 10:25
I'm going to be fabricating a replacement metal latch for my glovebox. When I bought the car it came supplied with a screw in the dash, and one in the glovebox door with a sandwhich bag tie securing it...I've removed the lid and am working on fixing the broken mechanism, but I also need to repair the metal loop that the lid latches to. So can somebody please give me the distance from the edge of the plate that bolts in to the car to the edge of the loop...I'm going to make a new one with an old wire coat hanger :D

ChrisMClark
Sunday 25th April 2010, 10:53
Forget about this one...I can't get the broken bits off the plate anyway. Looks like I'll be forking out for a new catch :mad:

cherry1809
Sunday 25th April 2010, 11:29
What bits broken on the mechanism? On mine a part of the hinged bit had broken and it wasn't getting the leverage to open the door.
All I did was drill out where it had snapped, Spun the broken bit the other way round and glued it back in place, Bit shorter obviously, But it worked.

Tomcat
Sunday 25th April 2010, 12:23
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a secondhand lid?.

ChrisMClark
Sunday 25th April 2010, 15:04
The mechanism has sheared off right by the catch, so the previous owner slipped a saw blade in and hacked the metal staple off that the lid latches on to. So you see it's not just the lid that's damaged, it's the metal piece that lif latches on to as well.

cherry1809
Sunday 25th April 2010, 15:53
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just buy a secondhand lid?.

Not unless they paid me to take it, Mine was a free fix :smileypul

ChrisMClark
Monday 26th April 2010, 09:26
Just found this item:

Link (http://www.partsforvolvosonline.com/product_info.php?products_id=6528)

Until this week or last, I could only find this on eBay from the states, and it was about £40 including delivery. Looks like I have a winner.

cherry1809
Monday 26th April 2010, 09:43
This is where mine snapped, And was drilled and glued.

ChrisMClark
Monday 26th April 2010, 09:54
On mine it's the little stud next to it, that actually operates the latch. As a result the large metal staple that it latches on to has been cut too. But £15 is much better than forking out for a new catch AND new glovebox lid!