PDA

View Full Version : Where to find this vac pipe?

Crazy_C
Sunday 25th April 2010, 09:55
I have a problem with an air leak on the engine of my T5 and it's causing major power losses. The engine only boosts up to 4psi and I can hear whooshing air loads when I put my foot down :(

The pipe that I believe is the problem I've highlighted here - I have found it on the side of the engine completely split, but I can't find where it goes to on the other end. A picture of where it goes to would be awesome :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/problem.jpg

Also, are there any other points that are likely to go with the vac lines? Cheers

nagrom
Sunday 25th April 2010, 10:05
I've got a split in the exact same pipe (actually on the rubber elbow) and on mine it appears to go to a point near the throttle body, two pipes attach to a 'bayonet' connector, one small one which is the 'leaky one in my case, and a larger pipe which goes to the pcv.
I replaced the pipe but placed it around the 'outside' of the inlet manifold, didn't fancy removing the manifold at this time

p fandango
Sunday 25th April 2010, 10:30
that pipe runs under the inlet manifold, if you look at the air intake pipe just before the turbo you'll see a black bung in the pipe with 2 pipes going into it, 1 a thick one for the PCV the other thinner one is the pipe you've highlighted. It goes into the foam insulation with the PCV pipe & comes out on the lefthand side (camblet end) & connects to the into the inlet manifold but quite hidden at the end. I believe it has a little rubber elbow to join it to the manifold which does often hole & quite tricky to access & replace

Crazy_C
Sunday 25th April 2010, 11:28
ahh, cheers, I'll be doing some searching around after work today then. and on the elbow at the inlet mani is where it has totally split.

I think I may have a leak on the vac line tree near the throttle cable bit (under the cover thing) so I'm going to replace as many of the little lines as possible.

Crazy_C
Sunday 25th April 2010, 20:16
Goddamn it, I replaced that vac line (was quite easy to find from your description fandango, cheers) but I still have a leak somewhere :(

So I think I'm just going to replace all the vac lines, that should sort it out. Guess I know what I'm doing on my day off on Tuesday!!

madhouse
Monday 26th April 2010, 08:38
Goddamn it, I replaced that vac line (was quite easy to find from your description fandango, cheers) but I still have a leak somewhere :(

So I think I'm just going to replace all the vac lines, that should sort it out. Guess I know what I'm doing on my day off on Tuesday!!

Hmm keep us posted please, I'm on a vac leak too. I can hear some whistling when on boost so will be interested to hear your results. That said I have had a nosey around and a few of my pipes have been done already, however I did find the little hose fron the BCS up to the air box was split so changed that, The car seems to feel perkier - but it could just be in my head!

Good luck!

Crazy_C
Monday 26th April 2010, 10:54
Don't think I've checked the pipe from the BCS to the air box. Will give that one a shot, gonna do all the ones from the BCS first I think, just to see what happens then.