PDA

View Full Version : Which tyres for the R

Flatout Phil
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 09:33
So I need some new tyres fairly soon on the 850 R. Currently on Pirelli P-Zero 205 45 17. I would like a consensus of opinion on what is the best replacement - I get the impression that the P-Zero is not highly rated on the 850 R.
All opinions welcomed.

S70T5Chris
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 09:45
I ran with Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's for years. They are excellent tyres on the road.

I now use Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta's, which are just superb on the road, and even very very good on the track. I wouldn't use anything else now.

dave854
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 11:20
I always used to be a P Zero man. They were brilliant on my old 850 but not quite so good on the V70 T5. Currently got Goodyear Eagle F1 225s on the front but the wear isn't that great, grip is good though. only thing I don't like about them is they look too wide for the rim (7.5") they hang over the edge a bit which means they wont fit on the back!

I have dunlop sp sports on the back which are wearing brilliantly! strangely though, they are 235s and are narrower and look better than the 225 Good years. They seem to fit the rim better if that makes any sense?

Might try some Vredstein next time but not sure which ones

Tyres are a bit of a mine field though, every one has their own opinion / preferences. If only there was a try before you buy!

leet5r
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 11:25
av got kumho ku31s on mine good wet and dry grip , about 70quid a tyre

Flatout Phil
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 11:53
I ran with Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's for years. They are excellent tyres on the road.

I now use Vredstein Ultrac Sessanta's, which are just superb on the road, and even very very good on the track. I wouldn't use anything else now.

Anyone used these people?
http://www.tyremen.co.uk/
Seem to be quite cheap on the Sessanta - although only seem to have 40 and not 45 in the 215 17 (£76)

Alan M
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 16:00
Go for 215 40 17 on the Vredestein Ultrac sessanta. They are an excellent tyre and wear resonably well. The grip is excellent and the tread pattern also looks good. They are reasonably cheap at Camskill.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 16:25
The thing that troubles me is going to 40 profile- only because I live in pothole city and would hate to ruin either the wheel rims (or my own) on the bumpy roads in these parts. But then again the 45 are not much different. When I used my spare set of Perfo on 205/50 16, the ride was not much softer, although the steering was a good deal less sharp.

Ed.
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 16:33
Yep, agreed with the above. I've also got Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas and they are excellent. I bought 215/40/17s from Camskill. Considering they are a mail order company, their packaging isn't the most impressive, (they stuck a shipping label onto each tyre and loaded them onto the van). I got the tyres a day later than expected but at least I've had no problems with the tyres themselves.

First time i used them was in the pouring rain and they gripped really well. Definitely recommended.

Ed

hellraiser
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 18:12
I'm running Yokohama Parada's spec 2 215/40/17, a very good tyre :cool:

Volvostorm
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 19:13
I'm using Falken ZE-912, they seem great, even tamed my cars liking for wheelspinning, not bad priced too, I paid £126 delivered off ebay, but other places have them.

Storm-Troll
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 20:09
I use the Falkerns.. have done for 5 years now... £60 a Tire.. long lasting.. amazing grip and probably half the price of the brand name tires that ppl pay for. well they are payin for the name i guess lol...

Flatout Phil
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 20:19
I use the Falkerns.. have done for 5 years now... £60 a Tire.. long lasting.. amazing grip and probably half the price of the brand name tires that ppl pay for. well they are payin for the name i guess lol...

Which model of Falken?

Volvostorm
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 20:26
Meant to put, the £126 I paid was for a pair of Falkens, so thats £63 each :)

Flatout Phil
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 20:33
Although the Falkens are a great price, the Vredestein do get a good review here http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Vredestein/Ultrac-Sessanta.htm which is somewhat better than the Falkens :http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Falken/ZE912.htm - although at the price very good. That said, it reviews the P-Zero Assymetrico as fitted and they do best of all: http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Pirelli/P-ZERO-Asimmetrico.htm but it is only one person reviewing that one!
Arghhhhhh!

Volvostorm
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 20:38
Guess it depends on how deep your are pockets , and how short your arms are! :P

Flatout Phil
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 20:40
Guess it depends on how deep your are pockets , and how short your arms are! :P

WHatever I get will get kerbed or nailed within 100 miles!

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 20:51
I ran Dunlop Sp sport 9090 on the Peril until i got the cut slicks was very happy with them and the grip was very good wet or dry even with a bit of boost lol

LiamT4
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 21:01
Can't stand pirellis, they'd be ok if they were half the price! Hugely overpriced imo. The yokos i had on the t4 before the pirellis were a lot better. Not long got a new tyre (bloody nail in rear tyre), i went for avon, but mainly because they are all avons and wanted to keep all the tyres exactly the same, seem ok but have nowt to compare with on a s/v70.

dave854
Friday 23rd April 2010, 11:01
Interesting read all this! too much to choose from!

What are people running on the 7.5 comets? I've got these on my V70 but am aware that some tyres won't work, eg I have goodyear eagles on the front but they wont fit the back as they sit against the inside arch! they are 225 45 - is this the right size for the wheel?. I need a tyre that sits nicely on the rim and doesn't hang over the rim like the goodyears. the dunlops are 235 and fit ok - strange.

Thoughts please :) tyre change due in the next month or so and I'd like to be able to swap them front to back later too!

Wobbly Dave
Friday 23rd April 2010, 13:21
chewed up and spat out a set of falkens in 3 months - not impressed. Vredestein Ultrac sessanta all the way for me ;)

850 2.5 10v
Friday 23rd April 2010, 14:12
Khumo (mine have been great)
or
Marangoni
http://tyre.marangoni.com/

Marangoni are top quality tyres and have a very good reputation.

woody
Friday 23rd April 2010, 20:28
Just fitted Toyo Proxes T1-R's all round (http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=2). Stickier than the standard/recommended Pirelli P zero Asim's
and look the muts nuts, oh and 2 thirds the price! Zimples.

LiamT4
Friday 23rd April 2010, 20:36

What are people running on the 7.5 comets? I've got these on my V70 but am aware that some tyres won't work, eg I have goodyear eagles on the front but they wont fit the back as they sit against the inside arch! they are 225 45 - is this the right size for the wheel?. I need a tyre that sits nicely on the rim and doesn't hang over the rim like the goodyears. the dunlops are 235 and fit ok - strange.

Thoughts please :) tyre change due in the next month or so and I'd like to be able to swap them front to back later too!

I'd like to help, but unfortunatly i'v only got 205s on my comets. Would like some wider tyres myself, but as they've all got loads of tread left i can't justify the cost.

Flatout Phil
Friday 23rd April 2010, 20:40
I ran Dunlop Sp sport 9090 on the Peril until i got the cut slicks was very happy with them and the grip was very good wet or dry even with a bit of boost lol

I think the 9090 has now been deleted - out of curiosity, what size were you running?
Phil.

Flatout Phil
Friday 23rd April 2010, 20:41
Just fitted Toyo Proxes T1-R's all round (http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=2). Stickier than the standard/recommended Pirelli P zero Asim's
and look the muts nuts, oh and 2 thirds the price! Zimples.

What tyre size are you using?

woody
Friday 23rd April 2010, 20:47
What tyre size are you using?

Standard Phil, 205/45/17

cameron
Friday 23rd April 2010, 20:53
I had Michelin Pilot Exalto II's when i put the Titans on the car, 215 45 17's.

Awesome grip whenever you need it, but then at £140 a tyre you'd come to expect it ;)

Now though i have Autoguard S900's all round, only £45 a corner ( i had a tight budget ) but they seem to be holding up pretty well and the grip is good as well.

They have been discontinued now and im pretty miffed as i hit a bloody deep pothole the other night and now i have an egg in the side wall of one on them, quick search on fleabay and they are pretty thin on the ground :cry:

Still, ive found one and it'll be getting fitted asap :B_thumb:

Flatout Phil
Friday 23rd April 2010, 20:54

Check out this chart http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=2 showing the width and diameter - if the standard tyre is a 205/45/17 the width on a Toyo is 208mm the diameter 616mm. On a 225 45 17 222mm x 633mm. So about 1.5 cm overall increase in diameter and width. This maynot explain why one manufacturers tyre is bigger than anothers of the same apparent size, but is useful in terms of understanding how much a tyre will fill an arch - although this will be complicated by varying offsets of rims. And also how an increas in width may require a reduction in profile etc...

woody
Friday 23rd April 2010, 21:02
Fitting 215 45 17 will change your rolling circumference surely? ABS and speedo calculations will be affected, to a cetain degree! fitting a 215 usually means dropping your profile, i.e 40 (AR)
Or......... should I just get my coat! hahahahahahahahaha

woody
Friday 23rd April 2010, 21:03
Check out this chart http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?identity=products&product_id=2 showing the width and diameter - if the standard tyre is a 205/45/17 the width on a Toyo is 208mm the diameter 616mm. On a 225 45 17 222mm x 633mm. So about 1.5 cm overall increase in diameter and width. This maynot explain why one manufacturers tyre is bigger than anothers of the same apparent size, but is useful in terms of understanding how much a tyre will fill an arch - although this will be complicated by varying offsets of rims. And also how an increas in width may require a reduction in profile etc...

Phil, you beat me to it! hahahaha

Flatout Phil
Friday 23rd April 2010, 21:05
Phil, you beat me to it! hahahaha

We should go train-spotting sometime. :beer: (or join the VOC)

woody
Friday 23rd April 2010, 21:08
We should go train-spotting sometime. :beer: (or join the VOC)
We probably have and never realised!:biggrin:

lordvague
Friday 23rd April 2010, 21:52
I have the choice of:
Western Digital 2 ½ for Notebook SATA HDD 500GB
OR
Seagate 2 ½ for Notebook SATA HDD 500GB

Is there any difference for an X200s ?

Which would you get ?

woody
Friday 23rd April 2010, 22:03
Personally I thought the X200 series lacked the body and feal of the early pre-X19F2 series loaders. I did preview the next generation F3's which seemed sluggish below 400 fkh ratings....... So lordvague, how was it for you?

woody
Friday 23rd April 2010, 22:04
Personally I thought the X200 series lacked the body and feal of the early pre-X19F2 series loaders. I did preview the next generation F3's which seemed sluggish below 400 fkh ratings....... So lordvague, how was it for you?

Tumble-weed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flatout Phil
Friday 23rd April 2010, 22:32
Tumble-weed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Certainly sounds like someone has been doing something with weed...

:wave23d:

Volvostorm
Friday 23rd April 2010, 23:07
I have the choice of:
OR

Which would you get ?

I would get the pink one with purple spots, with the extra left handed threaded danngleberry port :D

Flatout Phil
Friday 23rd April 2010, 23:27
I have the choice of:
OR

Which would you get ?

:B_offtopi

HADI
Monday 26th April 2010, 19:07

is the reason they are rubbing at the rear not because they are the wrong size my v70r has 215's all round, i think you are using tyres that are too wide for the car and as they aint as much room in the rear arches they rub, i have just ordered two goodyear f1's for my car got them for roughly £75 each which is a good deal for the best looking tyres on the market.

dave854
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 08:52
HADI - have you got 215s on 7 or 7.5 wheels? Mine are the 7.5 version of the comets. Your right, fag paper gap between tyres and arches on the back! mine do fit on the rear but they are bloody tight! (except the 225 goodyear eagles 225s as they are too wide). I've got a month or so before I need tyres so a bit of time to do some research for the best option.

Volvostorm
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 15:09
I've got 215 on 7J tethy's they would catch on the arch liner fixings, put a 5mm spacer on, been fine since, even dropped her 20mm and still ok :D

I've also put some 5mm on the front, now I don't get the tyres scrubbing the inner arches on full lock

Al115
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 15:23
Khumo (mine have been great)
or
Marangoni
http://tyre.marangoni.com/

Marangoni are top quality tyres and have a very good reputation.

I was a Marangoni fan too until I had some dodgy ones that failed!!! "Manufacturing defect"... never going back.

Flatout Phil
Friday 30th April 2010, 17:27
Well, I finally plumped for the Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas 215/40/17 - although the Toyos were cheaper, the Vredestein name just keeps coming up. Will be fitting them to the Titans whilst the Volans are, finally, refurbished. Whether I will get something different on the Volans when they are done remains to be seen.

THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR ADVICE!
Ordered from Tyremen who are cheaper than Camskill - so will report on the delivery times etc.