PDA

View Full Version : Tuning an S40 Sport?

VolvoBee
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 16:42
Once I have my baby fixed up I though of getting it tuned at AMD where my nephew gets his car tuned up.

I am not so much interested to get it to go faster, but more in fuel usage, as to use less fuel than it does now.

Can this be done with a bog standard S40 S 2 litre engine? Or lets say is it worth the bother and the costs? Will I save money in the long run or will it be too minimal to even try bother?

Will it be more responsive when accelerating? Especially in 2nd gear as I find that one a bit sluggish?

OK, a bit more ooohmmph and saving fuel is wanted. Will tuning help?

BTW: When in Germany fill up with the premium stuff. They have alcohol in it. The car loves it, runs smoother and the engine just purrs along wanting to go faster by itself. ;-)

t5_monkey
Friday 23rd April 2010, 17:05
Remaps often give more performance and slightly better fuel economy, if the fuel you put in is high quality.

Your driving style is the biggest factor in fuel consumption, that and correct tyre pressures and perhaps a set of low rolling resistance tyres might help? :)

IMHO nothing you'll do apart from part exchange your car will make that big a difference to your MPG's!

T4FLY
Friday 23rd April 2010, 19:37
AMD should be able to sort you out- they are good at what they do and they've just introduced a car this season at the BTCC.

Al115
Friday 23rd April 2010, 23:10
I've NEVER seen better fuel economy from a remapped car, and I've had a few remaps in my time on various Volvos!

There are rumours, and of course "your mileage may vary", but I wouldn't go into it expecting to save fuel :)

Cheers...

Slomo
Saturday 24th April 2010, 13:38
errrr what's fuel economy? :p

VolvoBee
Sunday 25th April 2010, 17:02
It was just a thought, Because the cost of fuel is just going up and up.....

The car had some sort of thinner Michelin tires on when I bought it, but were very expensive to replace so went with the best Michelins I could afford at the time.

However might return to them, but in effect I would have to buy 5 new tires instead of just two for the front that need replacing. Anyway that's some luxury I might consider in the future.

Slomo
Monday 26th April 2010, 10:17
The best tyres I ahve got on my T4 are Pirelli Zero Nero's assymetrico's. Superb in the wet, stick to the road in the sun. Have been superb :)