PDA

View Full Version : Car back from respray

bubba_1986
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 14:51
Hey guys,

just got car back from bodyshop and overall job seems ok.

Though in saying that, you can still fainly see mark from where got keyed, would this polish out ?

tried to explain to them about getting rid of swirl marks with no sucsess.

Think they just rushed the polish procedure, so really needs some expert detailing to show it up the best.

Going back in on thrusday to get rid of some of the orange peel that was left, about 1sqft. Is it normal to go back in or sould be perfect ?

Going to get some pics posted up before and after so you can see what i mean,

Is there any detailing buffs near me that would be willing to do my car for whatever they charge.

Much advice and help would be great, not really wanting to spend 200 quid on all the stuff for myself as don;t know what i'm doing and trying to save for remapp

cheers

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 14:58
I would be very happy to help but I am not local.

All the gear - but I'm down 'ere!

bubba_1986
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 15:04
I would be very happy to help but I am not local.

All the gear - but I'm down 'ere!

Lol cheers dave, coming down in july by looks of it for the atm remap

Mabye best to wait till then ?

Been looking at sonus sfx-1 - sfx-3

should i use this with a rotary buffer

also should i skip the sfx1 as just been resprayed ?

still unsure about doing anything just curious

Jaseb77
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 16:41
I have all the gear (and little idea) bit closer to you Bubba.

you could borrow/hire the stuff and I'll show you my techniques.

But you should get some advice perhaps from the Detailing World forum on best way to tackle new black paint

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 11:54
No need - I have some lovely lake country pads and the right polish for the car. July would be fine if you can wait.

Also you have to be very careful with rotaries - as you can burn the paint. My PC method is slower but much safer.

All you'd need to do is buy beer, some Sonus Claybar - green one is nice & what ever final product/wax you like. Chemical guys - Pete's 53 is good and not too expensive. Everything else including the awning etc - I already have.
Your elbow grease is the only other ingredient - I am not claybaring it on my tod!!

My 9 stage detail should just about do it.

Happygilmore78
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 12:33
Ba dluck that there is still some blemishes on it mate - same thing happened to me when i had mine resprayed - so much so i gave up in the end and sacked the guy off, and lived with it. I cant be doing with the hassle.

Will be getting it resprayed again as soon as i can, i have learned from my mistakes on this one - in my eyes there should be nothing blemish wise on the car when you get it back, thats what the respray is for.

Good luck with orange peel mate

volvokid
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 12:38
No need - I have some lovely lake country pads and the right polish for the car. July would be fine if you can wait.

Also you have to be very careful with rotaries - as you can burn the paint. My PC method is slower but much safer.

All you'd need to do is buy beer, some Sonus Claybar - green one is nice & what ever final product/wax you like. Chemical guys - Pete's 53 is good and not too expensive. Everything else including the awning etc - I already have.
Your elbow grease is the only other ingredient - I am not claybaring it on my tod!!

Dave have you tried tardis yet?

Jaseb77
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 13:22
I have a great big can of Tardis - I forgot about what is is good for ?

apart from tar spot removal

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 13:38
no - never heard of it.

volvokid
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 15:09
no - never heard of it.

Amazing stuff PB sell it, smells like paint striper lol but fairly safe if used as directed (same as anything). You use it before the claying stage and it will break down a lot more of the tar, I used it on my alloys the other month and was amazed it was melting tar that claying would have taken ages to break down. If you have used AG tar remover it compares to that but far stronger.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 15:42
is it the same as the pre-wax cleansers? I have Dodo juice lime-prime already. Also have the Megs DC#1 - is that what you mean (goes off to PB to have a look see)

volvokid
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 17:29
is it the same as the pre-wax cleansers? I have Dodo juice lime-prime already. Also have the Megs DC#1 - is that what you mean (goes off to PB to have a look see)

No nothing like it lol this is a spray on leave for a minute and wipe off, its an extra stage on the detail but worth it, it doesnt take that long to do, it doesnt polish or hide any flaws

bubba_1986
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 17:38
Jeeze oh wobbly, that is some offer

Been onto dw and put up post regarding where to go with new paint.

Car is going back in tomorrow for the orange peel to get buffed down.

The thought of clay barrying the now makes me feel faint, just played 18 holes on gold course in blistering sun, Never played either lol.

Been in touch with jase to try get it looking at lease a bit better as it is pissing me off big time the now, even though is million times better.

I feel asthough i pay my insruance, so job should be done right ?

Still not set in stone as to when coming down, though will let you know, as i see telford is about a 45-1 hour drive to bromsgrove ?

Cheers

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 17:44
As the volvo flys - it'll take about an hour. I have just bought some Tardis so we should be able to reduce the claybar effort - July should be long enough ahead to ensure you new paint is properly hardened.

Claying a whole car by hand will take about 90 mins with 2 people. It is but 1 small step in the process!

volvokid
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 17:52
Jeeze oh wobbly, that is some offer

Been onto dw and put up post regarding where to go with new paint.

Car is going back in tomorrow for the orange peel to get buffed down.

The thought of clay barrying the now makes me feel faint, just played 18 holes on gold course in blistering sun, Never played either lol.

Been in touch with jase to try get it looking at lease a bit better as it is pissing me off big time the now, even though is million times better.

I feel asthough i pay my insruance, so job should be done right ?

Still not set in stone as to when coming down, though will let you know, as i see telford is about a 45-1 hour drive to bromsgrove ?

Cheers

Buba if you are going to go down the wobble route buy this (http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/blackfire-wet-ice-over-fire-kit-cat1.html) for your paint I have this kit and its the best thing for black cars unless your spending thousands.

Wobbly Dave
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 17:56
Indeed - my collection is predominantly geared towards the lighter colours. I have limited materials when it comes to dark finishes. And it would be worth having something you can use to keep/maintain the polished finish.

bubba_1986
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 21:20
So will i need to bring with me the blackfire kit when coming down ?

is this clay bar alright http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/sonus-green-ultra-fine-clay-refill/prod_327.html

and this wax
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/chemical-guys-pete-39-s-53-paste-wax/prod_337.html

Cheers

volvokid
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 22:11
So will i need to bring with me the blackfire kit when coming down ?

is this clay bar alright http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detailing-clay/sonus-green-ultra-fine-clay-refill/prod_327.html

and this wax
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/chemical-guys-pete-39-s-53-paste-wax/prod_337.html

Cheers

If I was you I would take the kit with you that way you can get Dave to apply it and show you how its done. That clay says its a fine clay which should be all you need for new paint BUT its up to Dave really it will be faster using a harsher clay and it doesn't really matter if it marrs your paint as its getting detailed anyway.
If you go for the kit I suggested it comes with the wax also ask dave to apply the blackfire products with his DA instead of by hand it works better. Have a look at the polishedbliss web site its brilliantly set up and tells you almost everything you need to know about detailing.

bubba_1986
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 22:24
Thanks mate, will look into that site

Hope you were going to say get it after lol, save money

Cheers

If I was you I would take the kit with you that way you can get Dave to apply it and show you how its done. That clay says its a fine clay which should be all you need for new paint BUT its up to Dave really it will be faster using a harsher clay and it doesn't really matter if it marrs your paint as its getting detailed anyway.
If you go for the kit I suggested it comes with the wax also ask dave to apply the blackfire products with his DA instead of by hand it works better. Have a look at the polishedbliss web site its brilliantly set up and tells you almost everything you need to know about detailing.

volvokid
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 22:29
Thanks mate, will look into that site

Hope you were going to say get it after lol, save money

Cheers

Ok dude you dont need to buy it, you can easily do that part yourself you dont have to be so picky with those stages like you do with the polishing. I could send dave my blackfire kit for £30 quid as long as it gets looked after and you give me it back when its on your car lol

bubba_1986
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 23:04
Will send you a pm mate

Ok dude you dont need to buy it, you can easily do that part yourself you dont have to be so picky with those stages like you do with the polishing. I could send dave my blackfire kit for £30 quid as long as it gets looked after and you give me it back when its on your car lol

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 01:02
The polish is not essential - as I have all that. You could just buy the LSP.

bubba_1986
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 01:04
The polish is not essential - as I have all that. You could just buy the LSP.

Lsp dave ? :rolling_e:

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 01:14
Last Stage Products - namely the midnight paste wax. I already have a wide selection of sealants and polishes - and I know what works with Volvo topcoat.

You may wish to buy the applicators to keep them with that particular wax - but I do have plenty - Always nice to use new with a different wax.

I like to apply LSP by hand (no applicator).

If you are feeling flush then just buy me a digital paint thickness meter?? LOL

volvokid
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 10:15
I like to apply LSP by hand (no applicator).

Yi mug ha ha just joking, i've tried the by hand way and you use a hell of a lot more from my experience.

If you are feeling flush then just buy me a digital paint thickness meter??

Screw that get a sun gun lol