PDA

View Full Version : Not happy with handling

NugentS
Monday 27th June 2005, 13:27
I borrowed an S60 D5 from PW cars on Saturday (Jerry's car - which should mean summat to Volvotuning)

Anyway it goes round corners like its on rails (in comparison to my stock S70) - the handling is much much much much MUCH better.

I did not realise just how much difference there could be.

So - the question is can I (without it costing both arms, both legs, my granny, mother and house) improve the handling of my S70 to something like that S60

Sean

Wobbly Dave
Monday 27th June 2005, 14:55
My advise would be a suspension upgrade from VT - eibach lowering springs (~30mm drop) and monroe reflex shocks and if you havent already invest in a strut brace (~£70)Easy peasy lemon squeezy. It's what I've got - GuyT5 has got and many others. It transforms the handling giving a firm but not uncomfortable ride. If you dont have the money for the full works, just putting on new shocks would be a good thing.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Monday 27th June 2005, 15:48
Yeah and a £1000 is a lot of money too Dave.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 27th June 2005, 16:35
Didnt cost me anywhere near that.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Monday 27th June 2005, 17:17
Dave i'm under the impression the conversion is £780, plus strutbrace and fitting extra on top, thats give or take £900 is it not ?

Wobbly Dave
Tuesday 28th June 2005, 00:50
£120 for a SB? Whateva!

Y'get what you pay for at the end of the day. The cheapest isnt always the best. The ~800 for the conversion is fitted and you can just do the front shocks.

I can only report from my own experience and IMHO it is worth every penny.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 28th June 2005, 01:33
£120 for a SB? Whateva!

Y'get what you pay for at the end of the day. The cheapest isnt always the best. The ~800 for the conversion is fitted and you can just do the front shocks.

I can only report from my own experience and IMHO it is worth every penny.
I didn't realise the strut braces were fitted free, i'll try that next time at my dealers seeing as it was £27 for 10min to read 2 codes. But my main point Dave was you implied to get the kit u have fitted to sort it out, brilliant im sure it is, but most folk cant pull anywhere near that amount of cash out at the drop of a hat, i wish someone would recomend a budget spec thing then instead lol...

volvotuning
Tuesday 28th June 2005, 02:21
There are other options available, but they're not as good hence why they are cheaper. You don't need to have the springs either. Also, you don't have to do front and back at the same time. Plenty of budget choices!

Adam.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Tuesday 28th June 2005, 14:26
I think for myself with 135000 on the clock, i dont doo too many miles myself(7000), i might be as well off with new standard shox and a 40mm drop in springs and a strut brace, i've looked at the Bilstein kits at around £480 but with fitting it turns into £700 so it's still getting expensive when i'm unsure about how long to keep the car. Has anyone got the Bilstein Kit fitted and any comments if you have please ?

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 28th June 2005, 14:31
Hmmmm - I live all of 2 mins away from eibach's head office type place.....I wonder if it may be worth a trip down to see them and discuss a few direct cash in hand sales......

x

NugentS
Tuesday 28th June 2005, 20:19
My advise would be a suspension upgrade from VT - eibach lowering springs (~30mm drop) and monroe reflex shocks and if you havent already invest in a strut brace (~£70)Easy peasy lemon squeezy. It's what I've got - GuyT5 has got and many others. It transforms the handling giving a firm but not uncomfortable ride. If you dont have the money for the full works, just putting on new shocks would be a good thing.

Got the strut brace already - that was easy. Got some larger wheels coming (I hope) as I already have the 302mm discs. I might have to do the VT thing - which is bad news for my bank account (just have to see what working on Saturday brings..............)

Thanks for your replies BTW

Sean

Incidently if I do - I will have a spare set of standard shocks front and back that have done < 20K on them (at the moment) - so might anyone be interested rather than me throwing them away.

siamblue
Tuesday 28th June 2005, 23:53
Pm'ed

volvotuning
Wednesday 29th June 2005, 16:21
By the way Sean, the quote I gave you was for our top-of-the-range suspension upgrade. But we have various other options available too, at lower prices.

Adam.