PDA

View Full Version : D5 weird starting, like on one cylinder???

Liddo
Monday 19th April 2010, 11:00
This has happened to me twice now, but i must say twice in about 30 start ups.
When i start the D5 it runs REALLY badly, like on only one cylinder, or like id swapped HT leads all over the place (if it where petrol). I switch off straight away, and restart and everything runs fine.

Any ideas what this could be??? I make sure the glow light always goes out every time i start it, and I have no warning messages or anything, and the car runs perfect.

Its just wierd :confused:

thebadger
Monday 19th April 2010, 12:51
When did the glow plugs last get replaced? Could be a sticky/blocked injector? Or even some pressure issue on part of the rail?

The only time I ever had greif starting a deisel was when I drained the battery (not intentionally!) & forgot that deisels don't bump start! (duhhhh!)

The battery was so flat it took a recovery truck to jump it!

cornclose
Monday 19th April 2010, 13:00
When i start the D5 it runs REALLY badly, like on only one cylinder. Any ideas what this could be???

It's a DIESEL! :haha:

Liddo
Monday 19th April 2010, 13:37
When did the glow plugs last get replaced? Could be a sticky/blocked injector? Or even some pressure issue on part of the rail?

Dunno mate, Ive never had them done. Generally it starts on the button, and as i say, its only happened twice in about the last 30 starts. Suppose it could be lack of fuel gets into a couple of cylinders, hence the misfire feeling.

Oh well, will just keep and eye on it. might get some Redex for the next tank full

;)

Liddo
Monday 19th April 2010, 13:38
It's a DIESEL! :haha:

I know, and im still getting 42 mpg around the houses :haha:

cornclose
Monday 19th April 2010, 14:17
I know, and im still getting 42 mpg around the houses :haha:

:uglyhamme

Jaseb77
Monday 19th April 2010, 16:01
My D5 has done that too, once in a blue moon. no real constinency.

Turn it off , and on and it'll fire fine second time !

Have you ever had the trip computer T1&T2 reset its self to zero ?.
mine does that after a starting splutter

Liddo
Monday 19th April 2010, 16:08
My D5 has done that too, once in a blue moon. no real constinency.

Turn it off , and on and it'll fire fine second time !

Have you ever had the trip computer T1&T2 reset its self to zero ?.
mine does that after a starting splutter

Now that IS weird, but not yet mate. Im hoping for the "once in a blue moon" to continue, and then eventually clear up all by itself ;)

jimmyc
Monday 19th April 2010, 20:50
hi there, try changing your fuel and air filters,they have to be done regulary,mine started running rough and when i changed the filters everything ok,it states,in haynes, that theres starting issues when filters blocking jim

v70torslanda
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 10:14
Trip meters resetting is a symptom of 'dead clocks syndrome' along with intermittent seat belt chime, loss of main beam indicator, etc.

If your clock starts running backwards then it's time to get in touch with BBA Reman and have them overhauled.

p fandango
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 10:52
Trip meters resetting is a symptom of 'dead clocks syndrome' along with intermittent seat belt chime, loss of main beam indicator, etc.

If your clock starts running backwards then it's time to get in touch with BBA Reman and have them overhauled.
ah is that what the beeping is, my old mans D5's DIM has gone but we thought the beeping (its not a full seat belt reminder beep) was the phone losing signal or something. His indicators arrows don't work on the dash either

Turkish
Tuesday 20th April 2010, 11:24
I would have a look at the Glow plugs following that the Injectors.