PDA

View Full Version : locking wheel nuts

edgeyt5
Thursday 15th April 2010, 21:22
hi all
having a problem locking wheel nuts x2 cant get them off they seem to be rounded inside has anyone any ideas on haw to remove them
thanks roy

ncarnall
Thursday 15th April 2010, 21:35
I had same problem and got them off by hammering a 19mm socket over the nut and then undid them without problem with a t-bar. got all four off and replaced with normal wheel bolts

thebadger
Thursday 15th April 2010, 21:46
Yeah, well I had a set of genuine volvo ones on which went sour.

Have you tried the old "remove all the other bolts & give it a kicking" method?

There are alleged "removal" tools off ebay?

My garage took the last set off.... have a better set now.

edgeyt5
Thursday 15th April 2010, 22:08
ye my son told me that dont no if it will fit over without damaging the wheel around the nut doesnt look enough room, will have a go tho cheers

Flatout Phil
Thursday 15th April 2010, 22:27
ye my son told me that dont no if it will fit over without damaging the wheel around the nut doesnt look enough room, will have a go tho cheers

Check out my thread on the definitive solution to this problem:
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=24697&highlight=mcgard

p fandango
Friday 16th April 2010, 05:09
i'm currently in the same boat, got Bonny sat on the drive with a burst tyre & a knackered key. I've bought the wheel nut remover set from Halfords but because we've got the spinny collar on the bolt it can't grab it. Yet to try the 19mm but if that fails i'll have to get my bro to weld something to them

Liddo
Friday 16th April 2010, 12:03
The 19mm socket works a treat, ive had to do it twice now. With my S60, the locking nuts felt ropey, so ive replaced them with standard ones. I mean, how many times do you see cars up on bricks these days??? My wheels arnt that special anyway

;)

Take em off! Leave em off!

p fandango
Friday 16th April 2010, 12:39
The 19mm socket works a treat, ive had to do it twice now. With my S60, the locking nuts felt ropey, so ive replaced them with standard ones. I mean, how many times do you see cars up on bricks these days??? My wheels arnt that special anyway

;)

Take em off! Leave em off!
was that the McGuard locking nuts with the ribbon? Mine seem to have the spinning collar round the edge, yours the same?

Liddo
Friday 16th April 2010, 13:45
was that the McGuard locking nuts with the ribbon? Mine seem to have the spinning collar round the edge, yours the same?

Nooo, mine where the standard Ovlov ones, with the flower pattern on the inside. A real PITA once they start to slip :mad:

uzyg
Friday 16th April 2010, 15:54
Just a heads up with those of you who have McGuard locking wheel nuts and key (key has collar on).

My collar snapped on the locking nut which were stuck solid (probably due to over-tightening) with a wheel gun.

Was advised to take a photo of the wheel nut and the key - email McGuard (go to official website) explaing to them what had happened and within days they replied saying they would send me a replacement key, free of charge.

Got the replacement key and the buggers still didnt budge. So lefti it at a garage and he got them removed somehow. After my experience of running around for over a week trying to get wheels removed and reading that this is a common problem I simply replaced the locking nuts with standard wheel bolts. Not worth the hassly in my opinion...especially if I had a flat tyre or was strandard on a motorway and having no way to remove the locking nuts.

McGuard were very helpful though - I think they are based in Germany.

thebadger
Friday 16th April 2010, 16:23
Normally when you buy them new, they come with a barcoded sticker to confirm the idividual locking pattern (this is the volvo macguard ones btw) which the dealers can scan & order the exact replacement key!

I chose to get a new set when the collar/key started acting it. Best advice is to always watch a mechanic when they re-fit the bolts, just to check that they don't over do them!

Also good advice is to get some copper grease into all the hubs to try & prevent siezing.

edgeyt5
Friday 16th April 2010, 20:21
hi u guys thanks for all the replys
lots of info , not tried the 19mm yet but will do hope it helps as my front tyres are up for renewal