PDA

View Full Version : lpg

woking rob
Thursday 15th April 2010, 18:10
so whats the deal with it? wot sort of power loss do u get? mpg increase? and is it worth the price it costs?

Volvostorm
Thursday 15th April 2010, 19:09
Haven't a clue, don't use the stuff! :P

Depends on the kit fitted, mines a sequential gas injection one, and I would say the power loss is minimal, No, you don't get a mpg increase, you infact do less mpg, the saving comes from the fuel being cheaper.

I think its worth the conversion cost, I've probably saved £900 in the last year, the conversion cost £1700, so, by next year its paid for its self

woking rob
Thursday 15th April 2010, 19:17
cool iv seen diy kits on the net for 900 and im thinking of doing it, i saw u a ists and i loved ur car where did u get ur stickers from?

nobananas
Thursday 15th April 2010, 19:32
Been looking into this myself recently. You do get a slight power loss as the octane level in LPG is lower BUT because its gas you get better charge cooling and cylinder filling is meant to be better. I have read that if you set your vehicle up purely to run on gas alone with a custom map that you can (on a turbo) gain a slight power increase then with normal petrol although it's quite an expensive set up.

Volvostorm
Thursday 15th April 2010, 19:36
Thing is with DIY kits, you don't get a certificate for the insurance companies, though, you can get it tested at most LPG installers.

The stickers where done by http://www.signandposter.co.uk cost £600, worth ever penny too

Thanks, pleased that you liked her :)

Volvostorm
Thursday 15th April 2010, 19:41
Been looking into this myself recently. You do get a slight power loss as the octane level in LPG is lower BUT because its gas you get better charge cooling and cylinder filling is meant to be better. I have read that if you set your vehicle up purely to run on gas alone with a custom map that you can (on a turbo) gain a slight power increase then with normal petrol although it's quite an expensive set up.

It was suggested that having my car remapped will help, as it normally has more ignition advance, which you can run, as LPG is around 110 octane, I'm looking at remapping very soon.

5seaterT5x2
Thursday 15th April 2010, 21:31
bin running lpg cars for 10 years almost it's the dangly bits currently around 60p a litre here no noticible power loss really possibly slightly less mpg but of course your litre is only about half price. i can do about 100 miles on a ten ner lpg i guess so on petrol you'd have to be looking at 50 odd to the gallon ermmmm not on my car lol bin running t5 for over 2 years cost was £1500

P.S. anybody want a 2001 jumbo diesel (yuk) transit? :smile:

nobananas
Thursday 15th April 2010, 21:51
It was suggested that having my car remapped will help, as it normally has more ignition advance, which you can run, as LPG is around 110 octane, I'm looking at remapping very soon.

I knew I cocked something up there !. The octane rating of LPG is higher but the calorific value is lower, lower in fact than Diesel or petrol but LPG's higher octane rating makes it more resistant to detonation which is why it's more suited to turbo's.

Volvostorm
Thursday 15th April 2010, 22:29
I knew I cocked something up there !. The octane rating of LPG is higher but the calorific value is lower, lower in fact than Diesel or petrol but LPG's higher octane rating makes it more resistant to detonation which is why it's more suited to turbo's.

Yup, turbo's love the gas! :P

woking rob
Friday 16th April 2010, 19:50
and if i got a good ecu what could have 2 maps saved on it could i run it on the strong stuff nitrous?

Volvostorm
Friday 16th April 2010, 21:12
Yeah, some ecu's can have maps which you can switch between

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 21:53
This looks a good deal: http://www.lpgconversionservices.co.uk/prices.html?gclid=CKX4qPnUmKECFROElAod3g3wNQ

Volvostorm
Wednesday 21st April 2010, 22:19
I paid 1700 including VAT to have mine done, theres only a couple of multi-point kits that work on the 5 pots.

britten_mark
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 00:06
So what tank do you run, one of those doughnut types in the spare wheel well? How much ccan you get out of the LPG tank milewise? Is yours a P2?

Flatout Phil
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 08:35
Does anyone have long term/high miles experience of having one of these fitted to a Rica 304 fitted R/T5? My concern is valve wear, burning holes in embarrasing places and performance slumps. Also, have 7 seater, which uses a bracket that requires use of a space saver wheel - would I have to sacrifice the 7 seat to fit a doughnut tank?
I know I would also have to sacrifice travelling by Eurotunnel - no great loss there!

Volvostorm
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 13:39
So what tank do you run, one of those doughnut types in the spare wheel well? How much ccan you get out of the LPG tank milewise? Is yours a P2?

Yes, I use a doughnut tank, it hold about 50litres, for that I get about 180-200 mile range. No, mine's a 850 T5

Volvostorm
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 13:45
Does anyone have long term/high miles experience of having one of these fitted to a Rica 304 fitted R/T5? My concern is valve wear, burning holes in embarrasing places and performance slumps. Also, have 7 seater, which uses a bracket that requires use of a space saver wheel - would I have to sacrifice the 7 seat to fit a doughnut tank?
I know I would also have to sacrifice travelling by Eurotunnel - no great loss there!

Can't comment yet, as mine isn't yet mapped, I can't see why you should have problems on a mapped car, I know my kit mimics the petrol injectors, really the car's ECU is controlling the LPG, except it doesn't know that! lol It is possible to get bigger LPG injectors too.

As for the seat conversion, looking at mine, I would say, Yes you will lose the seven seats.

Flatout Phil
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 16:48
Can't comment yet, as mine isn't yet mapped, I can't see why you should have problems on a mapped car, I know my kit mimics the petrol injectors, really the car's ECU is controlling the LPG, except it doesn't know that! lol It is possible to get bigger LPG injectors too.

As for the seat conversion, looking at mine, I would say, Yes you will lose the seven seats.

It is very tempting - I use about £2500 of fuel a year so should pay for itself fairly quickly so long as LPG is not taxed up. Also live close to several LPG stations. Just concerned about burning a valve or holing a piston.

Volvostorm
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 19:04
It is very tempting - I use about £2500 of fuel a year so should pay for itself fairly quickly so long as LPG is not taxed up. Also live close to several LPG stations. Just concerned about burning a valve or holing a piston.

Some engines are affected with burning valve seats, they are mainly jap lumps, it can be improved by using a 'flashlube' system to help protect the valvegear, mine hasn't got one as I was told that volvo engines don't suffer with valve burning on LPG, I've never seen a piston burn through after running LPG, not saying it doesn't happen, my guess would be a poorly setup kit.