PDA

View Full Version : Same suspension across all models?

Hallsy
Thursday 15th April 2010, 17:16
Did Volvo use the same suspension setup (ignoring options) across all of the C70 range? i.e. same dampers, spring rates, ARB's, ride height?

Or did the T5 have uprated suspension over the others? Again, ignoring the 'Dynamic Stability' pack option.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 15th April 2010, 17:33
All I know is that the GT handling pack on the T5 GT model had a factory lowered chassis (I may even be quoting that wrong) ...goes off to look it up in Google....

BRB

Hallsy
Thursday 15th April 2010, 17:37
Yeah - I think that's the Dyanmic Handling pack, or something like that.

Only reason I ask is the other half is in the market for a new car, and one of her options is a C70 T5 (that was her first choice). The only local ones for us to try were 2.4T, so we took one of those out the other week and she said it felt a little soft. I found it not too different to my 855 T5, which is what I expected I guess - but her daily at the mo is a Toyota Celica with SuperStrut suspension, so handles pretty well.

Just wondered if the smaller engines had different suspension, but as far as I know, it's all the same across the 850 models (excluding T5R & R) so guess that's probably the case with the C70.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 15th April 2010, 17:42
I've been on the VOC (I know... I feel somehow dirty now)

http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/c70coupe.shtml

And the only thing I can see is this lowered sports chassis - which can only mean that the springs must have been a bit smaller/tighter. Most will be so old now that it will make FA difference.

Mine knocks spots of it anyway - as I've got Eibach springs/ Bilstein shocks and stiffened ARBs (IPD).

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 15th April 2010, 17:45
Yeah - I think that's the Dyanmic Handling pack, or something like that.

Only reason I ask is the other half is in the market for a new car, and one of her options is a C70 T5 (that was her first choice). The only local ones for us to try were 2.4T, so we took one of those out the other week and she said it felt a little soft. I found it not too different to my 855 T5, which is what I expected I guess - but her daily at the mo is a Toyota Celica with SuperStrut suspension, so handles pretty well.

Just wondered if the smaller engines had different suspension, but as far as I know, it's all the same across the 850 models (excluding T5R & R) so guess that's probably the case with the C70.
The one to keep an eye out for - if you want something a bit special are the Collection models. Last throw of the dice for the ragtops (if indeed she is after a convertible).

Stunning cars so long as you don't put too low a profile tyre on 'em.

Hallsy
Thursday 15th April 2010, 21:15
Thanks for the heads up Dave, although she has said she doesn't want a ragtop as we have a Eunos in the garage.

Reading that VOC link though, I read it that the 2.4T came with ''Dynamic' chassis as standard equipment, offering optimum passenger comfort' whereas the T5 came with ''Sports' chassis settings and shock absorbers are used, providing a firm yet compliant ride'. Both having the option of the low sports chassis.

So it is possible that the T5 does have firmer suspension setup than the 2.4T.

Hopefully this weekend we can find a T5 close enough to test drive, and compare the ride to the 2.4T :)

Simon J
Thursday 15th April 2010, 21:17
I have a couple of C70 brochures but they're too big to attach so here's a short summary.

2.0T and 2.4T had a Comfort Chassis as standard and the T5 had a Dynamic Chassis. Options for the 2.0T and 2.4T Convertibles were a Dynamic Chassis and a Lowered Dynamic Chassis with the latter being a no cost option for the T5. For the coupes, the options listed for all models were a Sports Chassis and a Lowered Sports Chassis but no mention is made of price or whether the lowered Sports Chassis was a no cost option on the T5.

By 2003 the coupe had been discontinued and the Convertible options remained as before.

With the Lowered Dynamic Chassis the shock absorbers were different to the standard ones and are in fact the same as those provided in the suspension lowering kit that Volvo offered as an after sales accessory.

A Volvo dealer can tell from the chassis code on the VIN plate under the bonnet exactly what specification a car had when it left the factory but of course by now many of them may well have been altered

Wobbly Dave
Friday 16th April 2010, 01:26
I was quite surprised to see that you can pick up a C70 T5 for as little as 950 quid!

Hallsy
Friday 16th April 2010, 11:22
Yeah - the prices are all over the place, as you say, some as cheap as £1000.

We looked at a V reg 2.4T, was very tidy, ~80k, but that was up for £4k, which was a bit high imo. Dealer though so nothing unusual.

flyeruk
Saturday 8th May 2010, 16:42
Just thought i would say,i have just purchased a 1999 c70 2.5t with 51000 on the clock,all mots,for £1800. She is in a1 condition. Has the lowered sports suspension fitted. Drives like a dream