PDA

View Full Version : Weird wobble

thebadger
Thursday 15th April 2010, 17:10
Hi guys, looking for a diagnosis of a wobble!

My car went to the Garage 2 weeks ago & had 2 new Ball Joints fitted, which is good, as the car is nearly 9yrs & could do with a "replace it before it fails" approach.

My issue is that I had not really taken it for a run till last night when I had to drop a pal off in the next town.

Driving on a very long & straight road (national speed limit on it btw!), as I accelerated between 40mph & up to 60mph (not a joke as I don't like to break the limit) there was a bit of a wobble from the front end.

Now I must emphasise that this only happens under acceleration & is only noticable between 40mph & 60mph.

Now, I have called my garage & asked about what was or wasn't done, they've said that it did not get a wheel alignment after the fitting of the Ball Joints.

Can I assume that as this issue is only happening under acceleration that the alignment is the issue & not wheel balancing?

Also could there be a possible driveshaft issue involved?

Cheers

Badger

cornclose
Thursday 15th April 2010, 18:02
Not scan tech ball joints were they ?

S60-MBS
Thursday 15th April 2010, 18:12
Have a looksy here ,maybe similar to my old issues.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=45601

thebadger
Thursday 15th April 2010, 18:13
Nope, I went with Delphi Lockheed numbers. I use their drop links too, very robust!

thebadger
Thursday 15th April 2010, 19:01
Yeah, I'm looking to get the rod ends done at some point soon.

My general plan is to get the bones done next (Via J) then the rod ends and hopefuly I'll swap out all the strut top assemblies too.

My car had a duff top mount on the drivers side but it picked up a slight creak post fitting when pulling to a stop. I'm guessing this is either a wonky spring seat or part of the lower assembly has failed. The joys!

I'm sure it's not a braking issue, as the brakes seem fine & the issue is not coming under barking.

I'm hoping this is not any prop/driveshaft issues... that would be too dear to sort!

pookie
Thursday 15th April 2010, 19:21
Did the garage knock a balance weight off one of the wheels when they did the ball joint?

Salut!

Pookie

thebadger
Thursday 15th April 2010, 19:27
Again, would a balance weight cause a wobble only under acceleration?

t5_monkey
Thursday 15th April 2010, 21:22
just a wild guess - dual mass flywheel issue maybe - does your car have a dual mass flywheel? :)

thebadger
Thursday 15th April 2010, 21:38
Couldn't say Ben, however, the clutch & pull of the car is tip-top as I'm sure you are aware of!

As it's only been since the ball joints were replaced, I'd need to assume that they're the culprit.

Bit worried about it though. It's not a good feeling, even in a straight line, I'm dreaded to take it on to the motorway!

t5_monkey
Thursday 15th April 2010, 22:02
Couldn't say Ben, however, the clutch & pull of the car is tip-top as I'm sure you are aware of!

As it's only been since the ball joints were replaced, I'd need to assume that they're the culprit.

Bit worried about it though. It's not a good feeling, even in a straight line, I'm dreaded to take it on to the motorway!

Cool - Hope it's an easy fix :)