PDA

View Full Version : Bugg*r me' racks leaking !

nobananas
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 18:46
Had MOT today and all was (sort of) well apart from there is a small weep of fluid coming from the N/S rack gaiter (which will explain why the pump ran dry a few weeks ago !). Does anyone know if all the racks from the 850 range are the same and are the V70 classic racks interchangeable ?

nobananas
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 18:48
Just spotted this on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-850-STEERING-RACK-REPAIR-KIT_W0QQitemZ290421528294QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item439e78d6e6

Anyone fitted a seal kit before to one of these racks and if so what sort of job was it ?

Alan M
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 18:57
I have one of those service kits to fit when I next take the engine out just to freshen up the rack in place already. I have just changed out the rack in the past but that was a right pain.

nobananas
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 19:09
I have one of those service kits to fit when I next take the engine out just to freshen up the rack in place already. I have just changed out the rack in the past but that was a right pain.

That's what I was thinking, the right pain bit. I pulled the engine, box and rack out on the subframe a few years ago and couldn't see an easy was to change the rack on it's own. I guess changing the rack will mean supporting the engine and removing the subframe. I wonder if you can change the rack end seal without removing the rack, hmmm.

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 22:34
V70 racks have a different size rack end-to-track rod thread (had this problem with mine) the 850 rack has a 14mm thread, and the V70 has a 16mm thread (though mine has the 16mm as it is a late 96 model and there must have been a crossover period).

HTH

Bomb

nobananas
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 22:47
V70 racks have a different size rack end-to-track rod thread (had this problem with mine) the 850 rack has a 14mm thread, and the V70 has a 16mm thread (though mine has the 16mm as it is a late 96 model and there must have been a crossover period).

HTH

Bomb

Thanks bomb, so mine may have the 16mm ends too as it's a 96' (will have to check).

Dangerous Dave
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 22:54
Thanks bomb, so mine may have the 16mm ends too as it's a 96' (will have to check).
Could be mate.

When I went to change mine, eurocarparts supplied the 14mm, and when I took it back, they said they didn't list any other size for the 850, and I went to a few different places and they all said the same thing. So in the end I just bought a V70 one and it fitted.

Actually, you should be able to tell from the part number on the rack.

nobananas
Wednesday 14th April 2010, 19:31
I had chucked some stop leak in a week ago or so (before I actually found out where the leak was !) but it ain't done 'owt. Have ordered some Lucas stuff which is supposed to be very good comes with a 'pinch of salt' guarantee to stop leaks. Thought I'd give it a try to tide me over till I can sort it properly.