PDA

View Full Version : repeairing rust - new panels???

d14vd_h
Sunday 26th June 2005, 17:29
since its the summer and ive got my engine perfect ive decided to attack the bodywork, got the spoiler on now i want to deal with some bubbling round my front arches,
ive been to one bodyshop who say the whole panel will need respraying,
as far as i can see my options are,
- shop around and see if i can get anyone who will just deal with the problem spots
- source panels new/scrap and have them sprayed and fitted
- have my originals fixed and entirley sprayed.

what do u think would be the cheapest option?
and wheres the best place to source panels?
let me know guys thanks

Tomcat
Sunday 26th June 2005, 17:36
Depends on how much you can spare really, rust can be treated but the surest way of getting rid of it is to replace the panel. I would get some prices on replacement panels first, as the Volvo wings are bolt on its not that big a job to remove and replace a wing.

If your just wanting to treat the rust and then repaint then you will have to reapaint the whole panel otherwise you will have an obvious join in the paint. I would grind the rusted area back to clean metal with an angle grinder, then treat with a rust killer, finally filler, primer and then paint. I would think that a decent bodyshop would do it for around £100.

I'm not sure on where to get replacement panels as I havent needed any myself yet, but you could always try Salvo for a decent second hand panel.

d14vd_h
Sunday 26th June 2005, 17:46
thanks very much tomcat,
i have a budget of max 500 for the lot, im thinkin panels might work ince it would get rid of some dings aswell,
im sure eurocarparts did some new ones, probs with salvo would be the postage for me,
i may stretch to replcaing my front bumper since the corners are a bit shabby, ive seen plenty of 940's in the states with 850 bumpers, what do u think the work in fitting that would involve.

Tomcat
Monday 27th June 2005, 17:35
Er.....not sure to be honest as I don't have much experience with 940's. Could you not get the 960 bumpers to fit as these would be a closer match to your overall shape but have the more refined look of the 960. If you had your heart set on 850 bumpers I would suggest you get hold of the bumper(top and bottom), the foam bracing from inside and the aluminium mounting bracket. Once you have these its just a case of removing your own bumper and seeing if there is any similarity in the parts or mounting points. If its already been done in the states then it can't be that hard can it?.

Good luck mate.

d14vd_h
Wednesday 29th June 2005, 00:37
cheers tomcat i'll get on to the americans on the bumper situation,
sricking with the problem at hand tho, found eurocrpart wings will cost 150 in total for set of new ones, which i think is the way to go,
on a side issue i have a coachline that runs all the way thru to the fron wings i assume i'll loose this???
if so i want to get it reapplied with a twr sticker in it like covcrew's
on my rear arch i have a pretty bad dent, but i dont fancy rplacin that panel as its huge and encorporates 2 pillars, could a body shop do anything???
the way ive been describing my car it probably sounds like a wreck its just that im a perfectionist and we tend to talk about whats wrong rather than whats right in this section heheh