PDA

View Full Version : C70 Buying advice help!?

d14vd_h
Sunday 26th June 2005, 17:18
Hi guys,
ive convinced my grandad that volvos are the best so now he wants a C70 coupe, i need a buying guide from those in the know,
budget is 6 - 7k
advice on what mileage, age i should be looking for,
best engine 2.3, 2.5, T5 etc
most desirable features colour, alloy style, accessories to look out for
plus any common faults danger areas?
knowledge of any facelifts/spec changes.
anything is appreciated guys thanks.

TedBovis
Monday 27th June 2005, 14:05
I think if you are looking at towards the 7k mark you should find a very nice example, something with probably around the 80-90K miles which isnt much (hopefully 60-70k would be very nice), confirm that all the trim is in good order and there are no warning lights on, double check for signs of wear/scrubbing on the tyres and that the brakes feel smooth when you put your foot on them.
I'd say go for the T5 or the 2.4T I dont think the non turbo version is worth considering neither is the 2.0T but then that's just my opinion.
Mine has now gone over the 145K and still drives like a dream now coming upto my 4th year of driving it (not from new) and I've had absolutely no problems sure is the best car I've had!

After_Shock
Monday 27th June 2005, 19:02
2.4t is ultra smooth and the T5 is naturally a nutter of a car, the 2.0t is a really good engine aswell but depends how much speed he is after! As mentioned avoid the non turbo cars.

Make sure its FSH dont bother otherwise, theirs lots of these cars that are owned by old people so are very much pampered cars.

Check the history to see what sensors have been replaced, especially the MAF sensor or o2 sensors, if these havent been done expect them to go soon.

Take a good test drive, excessive wind noise from the doors may mean the doors need re-hanging which will cost a fortune, also put the windows up and down at the same time, if one is noticeably slower the motor is probably on its way out, really expensive job!

One last thing with the car standing still before go on a drive, turn the wheel lock to lock and when it gets near full lock you will probably hear a bang which means the joints will probably need re-greasing, not difficult or expensive but annoying!

Colour is down to personal choice really, my favourite is Black, alot of people like Saffron which is gold but personally I really dont like it! However theirs numerous colours available, avoid weird ones like purple or white as the re-sale values will be bad, also try and go with black interior as the light trims are difficult to keep clean.

01c70t5
Monday 27th June 2005, 21:15
The only thing I can say is have quite a bit of patience, I spent ages hunting for a manual T5 with a decent spec and colour. 6-9 months later, I'm absolutely overjoyed with the car I got.

After_Shock
Tuesday 28th June 2005, 19:31
Ditto with above, took me 4 months to find one!

Theirs lots of them out their so just keep waiting one will turn up, plus with the new one coming out soon their will probably be alot more of them come up for sale.

M44K TS
Friday 1st July 2005, 09:00
I hate threads like this, i want a C70 even more now

Damn you After Shock! :lol:

After_Shock
Friday 1st July 2005, 17:33
If I come across any at work mark on trade ins I will let you know!