PDA

View Full Version : Lower Suspension Arm - Front

850 2.5 10v
Monday 12th April 2010, 09:10
Had the car MOT'd on Sat.

Tester said the engine was in superb health - according to the exhaust analyser readings.

Solid underneath and a very dry engine.

Only thing was that it failed on excessive play in the lower suspension arm nsf.

What should I expect to pay for this job?

Should I do both front ones? Even though the other ok?

Cheers

nobananas
Tuesday 13th April 2010, 21:54
If the play was in the bushes then I would replace them with poly bushes (both sides) or at the very least genuine Volvo ones. Don't be tempted by the cheap pattern bushes as they only last a few months. If the movement was in the balljoint then complete replacement of the arm will be required (unless your 850 is a very early one). Again pattern arms in my experience (although this was with only one make of arm) aren't manufactured as well as genuine ones and the one I fitted threw the tracking out a mile (you should check the tracking anyway but it shouldn't be off the scale like mine was !) so I would try to get a new genuine one or you could fit a good used genuine one (stamped with Volvo) that has a good balljoint but knackered bushes then put new bushes into it. (this is what I'm favouring at the moment, the balljoints are very long lived but the bushes not so, so I'm picking up used arms cheap with knackered bushes then it's an easy job to swap my poly bushes in). Either way you should change the bushes on both sides if it was these that were worn as the other side won't be far behind and it can upset the handling having tight bushes one side and sloppy bushes the other.