PDA

View Full Version : Hid kits

Tomcat
Saturday 10th April 2010, 22:00
Has anyone who's fitted an aftermarket HID kit had any problems with them?, I fitted mine today and I've had nothing but problems with one or other of the headlights not working(or flickering). All connections are as per the originals and are spade terminals, would I be better chopping them off and hardwiring them?, at the moment the only spade connections are to the original power connections inside the headlight.

Chad
Saturday 10th April 2010, 23:26
ive fitted approx 20 sets.....H7 and H4. Not had any problems.

Where did you get the kis from???

Tomcat
Saturday 10th April 2010, 23:41
Yeah it's my luck,lol. Bought the kit off another member but as far as I know it had never been fitted before so it was as new. It's been like this since I fitted it, although before it was the other headlight that wasn't working, I took the cover off, fiddled with the wire's a little and hey presto it was working, until I went out later on that is. I'm presuming it's going to be a bad connection where it plugs into the old bulb's wire's, can't be anywhere else as everything else is hardwired.

Chad
Sunday 11th April 2010, 00:27
sounds like a bad connection............best off buying a new kit as the warranty will help in these situations.

Storm-Troll
Sunday 11th April 2010, 01:42
I HAD SET ON MY s70r FOR 3 YEARS. ops// caps. lol. never had a prob with them.. now got them on my S60t5 for a year almost. and no probs either on that one... hope u get it sorted soon matey

shaun850
Sunday 11th April 2010, 01:42
hey tomcat.

do you still have day time running lights?

this causes the flickering etc.

aeroresh
Sunday 11th April 2010, 07:33
hey tomcat.

I had the same problem with mine until I flattened the tab in the green lighting relay (Instructions below)

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthread.php?t=7424

Tomcat
Sunday 11th April 2010, 09:12
hey tomcat.

Ahhhhh....lol,yes I do still have them, cheers I will have a look/try today.

Tomcat
Sunday 11th April 2010, 13:24
Ok, having had a quick look this morning......my 960 doesn't seem to have the same double relay for the headlights as the 850, mine are all seperate, I've had a look and none are numbered 56b. I've also tried the grub screw next to the headlight switch and I've gotten rid of the running lights but I've still got flickering on the O/S headlight and bugger all on the N/S. Why the hell is nothing simple on this piece of crap?.

Tomcat
Sunday 11th April 2010, 15:22
Problem solved....sort of.

I thought I'd switch the power unit from one headlight to the other, just to make sure it was a bad connection, sadly the fault jumped with it so it appears that one of the power units is caput, ah well, it was good while it lasted (all of an hour), now switched back to the standard units, looks like I've got something else to shove in the technical stores and forget about.

aeroresh
Sunday 11th April 2010, 17:16
If its any help, the likes of HIDs direct sell spare parts such as the ballasts separately. Last time I bought some it was £20 for a pair

Tomcat
Sunday 11th April 2010, 17:17
Cheers, I bear it in mind, not going to bother for the moment as this little adventure has already cost me more than I'd have liked.