PDA

View Full Version : Brake Discs

andyb1375
Saturday 10th April 2010, 19:50
Hi Guys and Gals.

I am just about to replace the front discs and pads on my 2000 MY T5 and am wondering if anyone have any recommendations.

I have been looking at Mintex drilled/grooved..Any thoughts/advice welcomed

willi
Saturday 10th April 2010, 20:55
Hi. This may or may not be of use, i personally have had nothing but trouble with after market discs and pads therefore i now always buy from my main volvo dealer.
They often match or get close to auto factor prices.

andyb1375
Saturday 10th April 2010, 21:03
Thanks for that advice.I think that you could be right,

Storm-Troll
Saturday 10th April 2010, 21:30
I always use Brembo discs and Ferodo Pads... cant beat them for stopping power and you cant possibly overheat them... I dont go for drilled and grooved tho as with all the holes there is less disc face to make contact with the pads, and the grooves (like a ham slicer in tesco)lol.. shave the pads down quicker than full proper discs without grooves.... hope that helps..

LiamT4
Saturday 10th April 2010, 21:42
Performance discs and pads are a bit like marmite, i had grooved discs and ebc red stuff pads on my last t4 and they were really good - decent when cold, great when warmed up and they really do have less brake dust. But i know people who can't stand them. My bro had tar-ox on his 200sx and i didn't like them at all, rubbish when cold and squealed a lot, but some people sware by them. I'd say if you don't need performance discs and pads then stick with the originals, at least you know what your getting, aftermarket brakes seem to vary a lot with different cars.

I also agree with storm-troll about grooved/drilled discs, they prob will wear down quicker. For road use, normal discs with uprated pads should be fine, most people think that ferodo are pretty good.

andyb1375
Sunday 11th April 2010, 08:44
Performance discs and pads are a bit like marmite, i had grooved discs and ebc red stuff pads on my last t4 and they were really good - decent when cold, great when warmed up and they really do have less brake dust. But i know people who can't stand them. My bro had tar-ox on his 200sx and i didn't like them at all, rubbish when cold and squealed a lot, but some people sware by them. I'd say if you don't need performance discs and pads then stick with the originals, at least you know what your getting, aftermarket brakes seem to vary a lot with different cars.

I also agree with storm-troll about grooved/drilled discs, they prob will wear down quicker. For road use, normal discs with uprated pads should be fine, most people think that ferodo are pretty good.

Thanks mate

Dont really need performance so I think I will stick with originals

andyb1375
Sunday 11th April 2010, 08:46
I always use Brembo discs and Ferodo Pads... cant beat them for stopping power and you cant possibly overheat them... I dont go for drilled and grooved tho as with all the holes there is less disc face to make contact with the pads, and the grooves (like a ham slicer in tesco)lol.. shave the pads down quicker than full proper discs without grooves.... hope that helps..

Cheers Storm troll.

I think that I am going to stick with the originals as I don't really need the performance ones,

andyb1375
Saturday 17th April 2010, 12:33
Well. I went for Genuine front Discs and Pads at the Bargain price of £70

v70torslanda
Saturday 17th April 2010, 14:10
Well. I went for Genuine front Discs and Pads at the Bargain price of £70

Whatever next? Are the vehicle manufacturers going to start apologising for offering nothing but rip-off prices for the last 30 years?

Makes me sick!