PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Kit

mhill53
Thursday 8th April 2010, 16:57
Im halfway through making my own kit up,im using 63mm pipe for the main pipes but this is larger than the original on my R,will this have any effect at all? also does anyone know the outlet size (TURBO) on a 16t?i will have to use a reducer here to size down from 63mm.The throttle body measures up at roughly 65mm but the standard i/c pipework is around 55mm hence why im doing it all in 63mm pipe.Any thoughts welcome!
Also is it safe to run a recirc blanking plate without a dump valve?

Rnash2002
Thursday 8th April 2010, 17:09
Im halfway through making my own kit up,im using 63mm pipe for the main pipes but this is larger than the original on my R,will this have any effect at all? also does anyone know the outlet size (TURBO) on a 16t?i will have to use a reducer here to size down from 63mm.The throttle body measures up at roughly 65mm but the standard i/c pipework is around 55mm hence why im doing it all in 63mm pipe.Any thoughts welcome!
Running bigger pipes i think you will see the boost come in alittle quicker,think pedro would be best to speak to about this.
Running a blanking plate will be ok at low boost,im running the k24 @ 10psi with out one,will be getting a dv if i get her mapped though.

p fandango
Thursday 8th April 2010, 17:22
i had the factory Volvo RIP (being an early 1994 car), when i had my 19t fitted it was very laggy & was thinking of going back to the 15g. Instead i fitted a Volvo 960 throttle body & 76mm RIP kit, i'd know say the 19t spools quicker than the 15g did. How much of this was down to the larger throttle body & how much the larger RIP i don't know, but i have seen many people say that a standard RIP kit is an improvement over the longer T-5 piping

http://xs.to/image-5D03_4BBE00DF.jpg

mines blanked off on the 19t, i don't think you can run high enough boost on a Volvo to cause turbo stall problems (well not without bending standard conrods first. I love the sound it makes now, does sound like you've got a dump valve fitted (but i haven't)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J85kItoSXY

mhill53
Thursday 8th April 2010, 19:02
ok im going to give it a try and see what she goes like! On BT where have you ran the pipe from the idle control valve that joints the inlet pipe just before the t/b?

p fandango
Thursday 8th April 2010, 19:37
ok im going to give it a try and see what she goes like!
you'll have to let us know, becuase if it makes as much difference to your 16t as it did to my 19t the acceleration/spool up will be mental

On BT where have you ran the pipe from the idle control valve that joints the inlet pipe just before the t/b?
you can see it better on this pic, T'd off just before the 90degree bend into the throttle body

http://xs.to/image-ABAA_4BBE205B.jpg

mhill53
Thursday 8th April 2010, 19:59
magic mate i will keep you posted,one last question what size are the intercooler ports?i can see your reducing down from 76mm using a reducer?is it 65mm the same as the t/b?

p fandango
Thursday 8th April 2010, 20:01
magic mate i will keep you posted,one last question what size are the intercooler ports?i can see your reducing down from 76mm using a reducer?is it 65mm the same as the t/b?
give us a minute & i'll go & measure them, got the intercooler off & in the garage (my throttle body is 76mm because its off a 960)

edit = top is 65mm, bottom is 55mm

mhill53
Thursday 8th April 2010, 20:27
magic mate cheers,i will keep you posted!

p fandango
Thursday 8th April 2010, 20:31
magic mate cheers,i will keep you posted!
& you want 19mm for the idle control valve T-piece while i think about it, i used a pneaumatic compressor joint from Pirtek & had it welded into the pipe

JelT5
Friday 9th April 2010, 09:45
It's a job well worth doing: Pedro's da man- his pics/ descriptions helped me a lot when I did mine.

Flatout Phil
Monday 3rd May 2010, 23:24
I like the idea of a RIP set up but not so keen on the price. All suggestions and offers welcomed,
Phil.

p fandango
Monday 3rd May 2010, 23:32
I like the idea of a RIP set up but not so keen on the price. All suggestions and offers welcomed,
Phil.
the expense part is the silicone joints if your going to make a kit yourself. I have seen a guide where someone rearranged the standard pipes to make a RIP kit, but that was a while ago so no idea where to start tbh

JelT5
Tuesday 4th May 2010, 04:11
Phil.

I bought a box of pipes and silicone joints off ebay when I did the RIP on my recently departed V70 Phil. The whole lot came to around £70 IIRC, a few hours work (only one case of "I wish I'd measured twice, cut once" followed by cursing) et voila RIP! I'll see if I can find the company I bought from- think I just did an ebay search using the words intercooler+pipes.

Already buying a few bits for the newbie, to be installed at some point in the future once I've cured the smoking problem :D