PDA

View Full Version : lost all my oil through dipstick??

danny-R
Thursday 8th April 2010, 11:13
just a quick one for you... i went out lastnight for a spirited drive.
anyway when i got to work i popped the bonnet to remove grill and prep for painting. there was oil everywhere and it was obvious it had came out of the dipstick as it was raised by about an inch.

i'm just wondering what has caused this and if i can avoid it from happening again??

any advice muchly appreciated.

thanks

Al115
Thursday 8th April 2010, 11:20
Either you've lost the o-ring off your dipstick, or your PCV needs cleaning, or both...?

Al115
Thursday 8th April 2010, 11:21
ps> I hope you don't mean "all" your oil... :D

danny-R
Thursday 8th April 2010, 11:29
Either you've lost the o-ring off your dipstick, or your PCV needs cleaning, or both...?

cheers al ,well, i changed the pcv last year but part of me thinks i didn't quite clean out the bottom hole properly, i hope that's not the case.

i will go and check to see if the o ring is still there now, and when i said all the oil, i meant there was a drip on the bottom of the dipstick... oops

i'm just glad i live 5mins from work and i noticed it this morning

danny-R
Thursday 8th April 2010, 11:34
update, o ring is in situ.

when you do the pcv, and you're cleaning out the bottom hole in the block,
how far does it actually go in,(about an inch??) i tried cleaning it out with a drill bit but it felt sort of solid and metalic??

i actually think you're right about pcv, that would explain my smoking issues whilst idleing....

Tomcat
Thursday 8th April 2010, 12:25
If you've still got smoke coming out the dipstick when idling then your pcv is still blocked, what did you replace/clean when you did it?. Also bear in mind that in a way your better if it's blowing oil out the dipstick than blowing the Rear main seal out like mine did.

danny-R
Thursday 8th April 2010, 14:04
If you've still got smoke coming out the dipstick when idling then your pcv is still blocked, what did you replace/clean when you did it?. Also bear in mind that in a way your better if it's blowing oil out the dipstick than blowing the Rear main seal out like mine did.

i can't say i have noticed smoke coming out of the dipstick but i will have a double check when i finish work, i changed the full pcv kit, hose that goes down the back of manifold was perished.
the only thing i can think of is that bottom hole, i thought was clean/clear but i may be wrong. oh well i suppose a 3 hour job to check it ain't half as bad as main seal. looks like i already knew what the problem was.
cheers all the same

watchmytracer
Monday 31st May 2010, 14:08
Hi all finally got my t-5 i just need bit of advice seems there is small amount of oil coming out at the base of the dipstick (bit coming out of of engine) can someone tell me if this is easy to replace or what course of action i should take cheers all all the other oil breathers have been cleaned thanks again

Alan M
Monday 31st May 2010, 21:32
Hi all finally got my t-5 i just need bit of advice seems there is small amount of oil coming out at the base of the dipstick (bit coming out of of engine) can someone tell me if this is easy to replace or what course of action i should take cheers all all the other oil breathers have been cleaned thanks again

Remove the 12mm head bolt on the inlet manifold holding the dipstick tube in the block, then simply pull the tube from the block and replace the square oring on it before reassembley.