PDA

View Full Version : Nivomats or not?

Flash B
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 23:45
Is there any easy way to tell if my car has Nivomats?
I'm looking at buying a towbar to fit my 2003 V70 P2 (170 bhp - NOT T5 or anything else flashy!) and have seen a low mount one (genuine) which is meant for vehicles fitted with Nivomats...does it matter when fitting a towbar?
I can't see why it would.

awaiting technical advice.

Loadsamiles
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 02:10
V70's with Nivomats ride much higher than those without. They also stay at that height no matter what the load.

Look under the back of the car if the shock has a rubber gaiter at the bottom of it rather than the top then it's a Nivomat.

Loadsamiles
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 02:11
This is my car. Look how high it is at the back.

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/j0u1es/Plods010.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t82/j0u1es/Plods009.jpg

v70torslanda
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 09:20
PM Rufe - Simon at FRF Motors. Give him your reg & VIN.

He will tell you what the factory spec was for your car.

HTH

J

cornclose
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 14:41
Mine has the Volvo Sports suspension kit with nivomats and it's nowhere near as high as Sir Drivealot's. In fact it's slightly lower than the standard T5 setup. That's because of the sport springs too though.

Bottom line is that Nivomats doesn't necessarily mean high arse and bad ride. With standard springs though the arse may well be that high.

If you're going to the expense of wanting nivos though, you can get the full kit of four dampers (two nivos for the rear) and four sport springs in the kit I got for around the £600 mark.

Flash B
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 19:12
Just checked with the dealer...no Nivomats, which means no cheap unused genuine towbar!!!
At least replacement parts will be cheaper.

v70torslanda
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 19:20
May I suggest that you consider fitting the Nivos? There really is nothing better if you are towing regularly or carrying heavy loads in the car. Or, indeed, both.

At a pinch you could get a used pair from Salvo or Readview and source the uprated top mounts to go with them. It has to be better than seeing the car dragging its arse looking like the trailer hitch is going to ground out and spit the trailer up the hard shoulder.

Markie
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 21:23
They work really well, give a nice flat tow, see sig

v70torslanda
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 22:18
Now someone find a pic of an old 740 looking like a cat taking a dump!

Purely for comparison purposes of course . . .

Flash B
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 22:28
Thanks guys. No idea about the cost of nivomats, but I'm fitting a towbar to use a trailer mounted bike carrier to take my stuff to competitions. Can't really justify the extra expense to the long haired General. I just wanted to fit a good towbar as I found a genuine one for a good price and it is nivomat specific.

v70torslanda
Thursday 8th April 2010, 10:49
If you aren't towing and don't plan to then there's no problem with you fitting that tow bar. The difference in height is irrelevant for something like a bike carrier.

If the weight on the towball exceeds 75kg you might have a concern but otherwise no worries. Go for it!

luv'n'stuff

J

v70torslanda
Friday 16th April 2010, 15:36
One thing we seem to do an awful lot on here is leave threads hanging with no conclusion.

C'mon, Flash! You gotta let us know!

roy chu
Friday 16th April 2010, 20:37
Looks like the ride height of a XC70.

My Dads height looks similar to that but on the front its the same height.

However my Dads looks as if its about an inch lower.

Flash B
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 22:09
One thing we seem to do an awful lot on here is leave threads hanging with no conclusion.

C'mon, Flash! You gotta let us know!

Just an update...never did get the towbar so am still looking.
Money for towbar now spent on fixing my broken sunroof. It appears that Volvo dealership would like me to sell my house in order to have it fixed!!!

Appologies for not giving the update J!!!

Until my next problem, I wish you well.

v70torslanda
Thursday 22nd April 2010, 22:31
Just an update...never did get the towbar so am still looking.
Money for towbar now spent on fixing my broken sunroof. It appears that Volvo dealership would like me to sell my house in order to have it fixed!!!

Appologies for not giving the update J!!!

Until my next problem, I wish you well.

Sorry Flash. Thoughtless of me plus being a knob for not making the connection between the two threads.

If you don't get that towbar there will be others. If you need a price and I can help give me a shout.

ps Have you tried ReadView for your sunroof repair? They break Volvos for salvage as well as mending them and they're ex-dealer so know what they are doing besides not charging dealer money. Accrington, so not a million miles away.

J