PDA

View Full Version : Front brake disc & pad problem

steveT5
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:18
Tried to change discs and pads today.
Haynes manual says split the caliper by undoing the 7mm hexagonal bolts.
Drivers side went ok, however i have broken 2 hexagonal bits trying to undo the passenger side.
My question is, can the caliper be removed as one unit and the disc and pads be replaced without splitting the caliper ?

Thanks, Steve.

Tomcat
Saturday 25th June 2005, 21:51
I dont remember having to split the caliper when I changed my pads, can you not just remove the pins and pull the pads out the back of the caliper as normal?.

Andrew
Saturday 25th June 2005, 21:52
I dont remember having to split the caliper when I changed my pads, can you not just remove the pins and pull the pads out the back of the caliper as normal?.

Try a good dose of penetrating oil.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 26th June 2005, 04:09
turn the wheel to full lock to improve access and yes you can remove the caliper race as one part if you wish - though I would be tempted to have another crack at removing the hex bolts first - with penetrating oil like Andrew said. Use a decent length driver and apply pressure gradually but firmly - dont wack them.

steveT5
Sunday 26th June 2005, 10:33
Thanks all, having another bash this morning.

Matt30462
Sunday 26th June 2005, 10:58
Thanks all, having another bash this morning.

Not literally I hope :nono:

spesh
Sunday 26th June 2005, 12:26
Thats only on the back calipers. :)