PDA

View Full Version : Breaking into a P2?

Mrsmopp
Monday 5th April 2010, 20:03
Is it possible to break into and drive away in a P2 V70 without the keys?

I don't want specific details on an open forum but if anyone knows it CAN be done then can you let me know?

t5 pete
Monday 5th April 2010, 20:30
lol your training baby mopp eairly

Mrsmopp
Monday 5th April 2010, 20:31
LOL Something like that!

Actually its entirely innocent and to help a friend who's insurers wont pay out as they claim you cant break into a P2 and drive it away without the keys

t5 pete
Monday 5th April 2010, 20:43
ill pm you

Loadsamiles
Monday 5th April 2010, 21:41
Is it possible to break into and drive away in a P2 V70 without the keys?

I don't want specific details on an open forum but if anyone knows it CAN be done then can you let me know?

The short answer is No.

The P2 will not allow an ECU swap and the immobiliser code is well hidden anyway.

If you had access to the Volvo VIDA system and all the software to re-code the thing then you may stand a chance.

Loadsamiles
Monday 5th April 2010, 21:45
If the car is gone without the keys then there are a few possibilities.

1 It has been towed, or lifted.

2 a previous owner is implicated in the theft (old set of spare keys)

3 It has been "rolled" away far enough to be towed.

It is very possible to "steal" a car without the keys, just not drive it away by "hot wiring" it or taking along an ECU as was sometimes the case on older cars.

S70T5Chris
Monday 5th April 2010, 22:07
Ain't nuffin gonna stop a hiab coming a long and having it away!! I don't see how an insurance company could dispute that the car was legitimately stolen because it can't be 'driven' away without the keys.

v70torslanda
Monday 5th April 2010, 23:24
Playing Devil's Advocate OTOH, I can see an insurance company being justifiably suspicious if the car has been stolen and the keys are 'not available' . . .

J

Loadsamiles
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 00:13
Playing Devil's Advocate OTOH, I can see an insurance company being justifiably suspicious if the car has been stolen and the keys are 'not available' . . .

J

There are many ways to steal a car these days other than driving it away.

The advent of "un-stealable" cars has just made the thieves more ingenious.

Hi-jacking is a serious risk these days. As is house breaking. The pre-planned theft now involves heavy lifting gear, and surprisingly Joe public doesn't bat an eyelid when the vehicle is being moved with a large recovery truck.

At the end of the day if the insurance company want to make a deal of it, it is up to them to prove that the car wasn't stolen. It's easy for them to say it can't be stolen without the keys, but stolen doesn't have to mean driven away does it?

The person who lost the car only needs to ask the insurance company why they are assuming it was DRIVEN away when there are many ways to take a car.

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 01:46
Hi-jacking is a serious risk these days. As is house breaking.

Thats why I have A Hidden Safe Lock Place and keep them Locked away at night nowhere where Burglars would even find them in a million years... Prevention is better than an Insurance Quote and loss of your pride and joy...Been doin this for years now...

Justin
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 08:09
Trouble is (off topic i know) thieves are breaking into homes and using violence and weapons to get keys now, a 57 year old RS4 owner had his family tied and was beaten for his keys a month ago in Walsall. They will do anything if they are desperate and personally i would hand mine over, its not worth a life :)

Jaseb77
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 10:40
Trouble is (off topic i know) thieves are breaking into homes and using violence and weapons to get keys now, a 57 year old RS4 owner had his family tied and was beaten for his keys a month ago in Walsall. They will do anything if they are desperate and personally i would hand mine over, its not worth a life :)

I would rather leave the keys at front door, and let them take the car than, have thieves break into house, the trauma to family and feeling of lost security is not worth it.

On the keys topic, If you unearthed "a" set of volvo keys, how would they be proven not to be the real keys, if the car never surfaces again

lance
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 12:36
Nothing new when I was a kid late 80s early 90s my parents had a village shop we were burgled the first time 4 intruders, the second time 8! My mum woke up got my dad up who chased after them in his underpants, they pushed both cars off the drive way so not to make much noise obviously they had picked the keys off the key rack in the kitchen! I always take mine to the bedroom now (stupid maybe) Anyway they got away with my Mums Merc 200 W123 but we got it back albeit a bit crunched up, they didnt manage to nick my Dads Passat because the door handle was stiff and the old man was chasing them at the time luckily they wernt a violent gang but to be fair the old man would have had a go if he had got his hands on em.
The gang was convicted same 4 from 18 months before and 4 of there mates and they were pikeys, they were known for taking bricks out of walls to break into shops and post offices. Not long after this my Mum shut the shop it wasnt worth the hassle insurance was sky high, now few villages in that area have shops and post offices.

I suppose the main difference is thieving scum are more likely to use guns!

Vikingxl
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 14:02
Ok heres the facts in stealing a volvo v70 p2.

It can be done very easily with equipment bought on ebay/net for under £400 as i have said before keys are not main dealer only. On the plus side if the vehicle is recovered and the ecu is intact the number of keys programmed can be checked.

This is the difficult way of doing things a low loader of similar is by far the easiest way has anyone seen what Birmingham council is using now for removal of illegally parked cars??

Storm-Troll
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 15:12
Has anyone seen what Birmingham council is using now for removal of illegally parked cars??

You???......:hidesbehi

S70T5Chris
Tuesday 6th April 2010, 18:00
You???......:hidesbehi

LOL :hilarious