PDA

View Full Version : Headlight glass replacement on 1998 V70

mas
Saturday 25th June 2005, 19:51
LO peeps , I'm selling my T5 for an upgrade so I want to replace the stone chipped headlight glass so the car is ' right' , It's too good a car for chipped headlights :)

I had a look and the glass appears held on with clips but there are clips at the bottom and i cant see how you easily change the glass I.E without taking other parts off ( indicator front wrap round e.t.c)

Can someone who has done this tell me whats involved as I'm not a car D.I.Y er of any repute.

Best place to buy them would be usefull too

Cheers Mas

Vikingxl
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:10
Im pretty sure you have to remove the indiator and the headlight unit to change the lense.New lenses are available from GSF (www.gsfcarparts.com) for about £30 each.

splatt
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:29
Although I have not done this on a volvo headlight I have on another car!
It will have to be removed and all the metal clips that appear to hold the lens in place....how comes the hard bit....It will be bonded with a mastic sealant which will have to be heated to make it pliable and the lens gently (and I mean gently) prised off of the housing. Heated with a paint stripping gun did it for me!!
Do not remove all the old sealant from the housing, just use a clear silicone sealant when fitting the new lens so it does not show out!! Leave to dry 24hrs and job done.
It has o be fully dried out or u get moisture droplets forming!!

Vikingxl
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:44
Be very careful when removing/refitting the indicator lenses as the plastic retaining clip becomes brittle and may snap off leaving you needing indicator lenses as well.I have had the lens off one of my headlights before so if you need a hand i might be able to help you out.

mas
Monday 27th June 2005, 08:58
LO Rich , did you have to take anything other than the indicator off , of the car , i still cant see how you can do it without removing the front wrapround bumper but think you must be able too ?

cheers

bigndaft
Monday 27th June 2005, 09:16
mas.....there are just three bolts holding the headlamp in, you can see them at the back of the unit, also unplug the wireing, slide out the indicater lenses and the whole headlight will just slide out, and easy to put back. not sure about unclipping the lense's though. I wouldnt use a paint sripping gun else it will look like a chocolate fireguard! :bog:
good luck

Vikingxl
Monday 27th June 2005, 09:28
As bigndaft says there are three bolts holding the headlight in once these are out the headlight should just come away from the front of the car then the eight metal clips need to be taken off probably easiest with a flat bladed screwdriver.At this point the lens should come away but the seal could well have stuck to the unit and lens due to the heat given off by the headlight.I think the new lenses come with new seals and i would nip in to a volvo dealer for some spare clips as once the headlight is out if you break or loose any you will be stuck.Good luck.

mas
Monday 27th June 2005, 11:06
Top stuff , I will look in to it as they say and let you both know when i'm done how many bitds I broke ( only joking) .

Cheers

Vikingxl
Monday 27th June 2005, 12:08
No problem might find it easier with a few cold stellas nearby.

meffs
Monday 27th June 2005, 13:14
I had to put two new units in on my 850. Drivers side I had to remove the indicator, bonnet catch and other little bits n bobs to gain access to the retaining bolts, passenger side was just the battery and indicator. As previously mentioned 3 bolts hold it in place, 2 on the wing side and 1 on the grill side. lenses are not difficult to get off, the 850 has 3 clips on the top 4 on the bottom and 1 either side, again easy enough to remove with a flat bladed instrument.

M44K TS
Tuesday 28th June 2005, 18:12
i changed mine on my 850 (dunno if they are the same) all i had to do was take out the indicator, remove the headlight wiper and the plastic trim the wiper sita on. Then it was a case of removing themetal clips with a pair of pliers (really simple to get off)

putting it back on was even easier.

took me about 5 mins to change

Vikingxl
Friday 1st July 2005, 22:19
Mas have you done it yet? I was just wondering how it went.

mas
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 07:57
I havnt m8ee but only because I thought 118 poundds for the two glasses from the Volvo dealers was a bit expensive baring in mind its just the 'glasses'

Any suggestions as to where to get a discount :) ?

Vikingxl
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 10:12
Have just spoken to Gsf in Smethwick and they have them in stock for just under £30 each which is half price.they are easy to find and its not too far for you to go.If you need any more details or help finding them send me an email and we can sort something.

mas
Saturday 2nd July 2005, 10:20
Bopught my brakes from GSF ( in Hitchin b4 I moved) didnt even realise they would stock something light headlamp glasses , thats just the sort of thing I am looking for , will get on to getting them ASAP and let you know how I suffer (I mean get on).