PDA

View Full Version : Turbo on its way out?

lighterfuel
Saturday 25th June 2005, 19:48
Hi all

(1996 Volvo 850 T5)

I was told by a non-Volvo garage that due to a small amount of white smoke from the exhaust, that my turbo was on its way out. The mechanic said that its caused by oil passing over a seal?....(its all above my head), and thats why i have the small amount of white smoke?.....When i asked if i could replace this seal, the reply was that it would cost as much as getting a new turbo and fitting. Is this all correct?

Ps

I gave out 3 of the T5 Forum flyers today. Now who's a good boy...lol

spesh
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:07
White smoke tends to be water (head gasket) and oil burning tends to be blue (turbo, worn piston rings) if it was the turbo it could be sent away for reconditioning I guess bout £250 or buy a secound hand one maybe???

splatt
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:20
Spot on Spesh..
Yep..white smoke is generally water (steam!) which could be for any number of reasons.
If it is the head gasket you will probably find oil in the coolant or water in the oil (white sludge, normally collects at highest point..filler cap.)
Give us a clue..does it do it all the time?..

lighterfuel
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:25
no!, its barely noticeable, the car seems to still pull very quickly, Ie almost loosing full control when i kick down from standing still....(ps its an auto). I have also just had it serviced and most filters were replaced etc etc....

The Turbo indicator also seems to be doing what it should, no unusual activity there?

the only probs i have had is the Climate control, i have been told that is a relay in the unit...

does that help a bit more?

thanks

splatt
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:35
might even be as simple as condensation forming in the zorst pipes (alhough at this time of year that is less likely!)
Kep a close check on oil and water levels and obvious cross contamination.
A pressure test of the cooling system is an option but may not show pressureloss if it is of a minor nature.

Ross9
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:54
If its turbo air seals, then the easiest way to test it, is to get a mate to follow you, he will require something quick lol, and chase you down a road, if the air seals are gone there will be a puff of oil smoke (blue) when you change gear. It's caused by the seals relaxing once you come off boost (pressure) and oil blows past.

as was said, white smoke is water, not oil, a turbo is water cooled but rare for it to fail and give smoke relating to water issues, usually its the feeds that leak, ie water feed and drain, and this gives steam from the bay, not the exhaust.

Ross

lighterfuel
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:57
Cheers Splatt

I have just been out and checked the oil cap and its all fine, nice clear oil and thats all. I ran the car for the last 30 mins, wheel spun it up the road, (has to be done) ...lol.. and i saw one puff of smoke. On closer inspection, it appeared to be more blackish than white. Could this not just be the age of the car, its done 117000?

Also i checked the coolant and all was fine.

So do you think that at this stage its nothing much to worry about. Apart form that, the car sounds great on tick over and smooth. When i press the accelerator down to rev her up, it has instant response with no delay and falls back down to tick over almost immediatley. (like a Bike).

splatt
Saturday 25th June 2005, 21:05
smoke on a gearchange can also be valve guides.
If its runnig OK and the smoke is barely noticeable (you are looking for it now too!!) then dont worry too much...sack your mechanic as he is trying to have you over!! LOL

Ross9
Saturday 25th June 2005, 21:17
indeed, a bit of smoke is nothing to worry about, especially if its blackish, which is fuel and nothing to worry about, might even get the odd flame, bonus lol

Ross

lighterfuel
Saturday 25th June 2005, 21:26
many thanks all!.. i think i shall go to bed with an easier mind tonight. lol...as long as she is still powering along and peeing off the bloody BMW boys, then im happy.

splatt, your profile says East Sussex...where abouts?...im east sussex to!

splatt
Saturday 25th June 2005, 21:31
many thanks all!.. i think i shall go to bed with an easier mind tonight. lol...as long as she is still powering along and peeing off the bloody BMW boys, then im happy.

splatt, your profile says East Sussex...where abouts?...im east sussex to!
Glad your happier...East Sussex.....Nope!!....Essex :)

lighterfuel
Saturday 25th June 2005, 21:35
ahhhh ok, im in Eastbourne and you are about an hour up the road.....so when we gonna meet up on the M25 and have a bit of a road rally...lol...ofcourse avoiding all the millions of speed cameras...lol

rottertron
Sunday 26th June 2005, 10:21
Lighterfuel, im in Eastbourne too!!! So what colour is your 850, as ive seen quite a few 850 t5s around the area????

lighterfuel
Sunday 26th June 2005, 13:52
hello m8

its royal blue!

ive not seen that many, mine is a saloon, my Mrs has it on sundays, so dont wave lol or flash your lights(lol) as she may think shes pulled...lol... i get to have the Voyager on sundays and the kids miss the thrill of daddys T5 ...lol

whats yours?

rottertron
Sunday 26th June 2005, 15:57
I will keep an eye out for you!!
Mines an S70, P reg, in red. No spoilers, no T5 badge and steel wheels....a proper street sleeper. :) Some pics are in the VbGarage

lighterfuel
Sunday 26th June 2005, 20:28
well, if you see a Royal blue,spoiler on rear,black leather interior,reg N290 *** then give us a wave or flash. If your real lucky..lol..i may slow down and say hi...lol My normal haunt is Tesco's car park where i sit and burn up and down in the trolley bays.....lol....oh no, i gave that up 15 years ago!!!, there was me dreaming...lol

see ya around m8!

rottertron
Monday 27th June 2005, 16:37
I will keep an eye out for you too!!! You might see it parked outside the fire station if im on duty. I cycle everywhere most the time as im fed up with the traffic, so i might tap on your window if youre stuck in traffic too.

Everyone has to do their time in Tesco's car park. I remeber the last time i was ever there was when this bloke was racing around the car park in toyota hilux pickup with around 10 people in the back, he ended up rolling it throwing all the occupants everwhere. That must of been around 10 years ago.