PDA

View Full Version : V70 p2 rear bike carrier

Flash B
Sunday 4th April 2010, 11:33
Hi all,

I'll probably get slated for putting this thread in this part of the forum...hey ho.

Is there anyone out there who is a cyclist who uses a rear bike carrier on a V70 (2000 - 2004)?
I'm not too keen on the idea of fitting roof mounted carriers after seeing some major damage caused to cars and bikes.
I've not got a towbar and would like to know if anyone has fitted a rear bike carrier to the boot lid?
I'm looking at a Saris 3 or Saris RS3, but can't find any fitting advice on the internet.
Both of my cars seem to be a problem when it comes to carrying bikes!!!

V70 p2 2003
Landrover Defender 110 2005

Surely someone out there uses one....

britten_mark
Sunday 4th April 2010, 21:53
For the very odd occasions I take the front wheels off and stuff them in boot. If you pack the sides with blankets there's no damage, just have to be careful of the elements in the side glass. Personally I don't like the way any of those boot mounted things attach, the towbar option would be the only option if for me if I did it regularly.

Flash B
Sunday 4th April 2010, 22:42
I thought about the towbar fitted ones...whihc look the best, but I'd have to fork out for a towbar, then the rack. The rear load racks can be okay...the Saris bones 3 looks good, but the fitment range for Volvo is vague to say the least.
The roof mounted ones cause about 30% more fuel consumption on a long run and like I said, I've seen a few fall off the car!!
I would put them in the rear, but when I go mountain biking, the bike is covered in all sorts of S**T, which I don't like in the car.
What to do??

There's got to be a few 'closet bikers' out there with an answer.

Ash

Markie
Sunday 4th April 2010, 23:12
I'd go with someone else with a bike rack.....
Failing that I don't trust the ones that dangle off the back and clamped up with string, tow bar all the way for me if I was doing it.

cornclose
Monday 5th April 2010, 00:33
I use both a towbar mounted one (three bikes) and a roof mounted pair (two bikes). Both are top of the range mounts and I wouldn't want anything less. Perfectly safe when fitted and adjusted correctly.

The strap ones I'd steer clear of too.

Flash B
Monday 5th April 2010, 01:23
Which hitch mount do you use??

cornclose
Monday 5th April 2010, 11:32
Which hitch mount do you use??

This one;

http://www.maxxraxx.co.uk/racks/prem_max4_flange.html