PDA

View Full Version : engine mangament and dif turbo

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 20:38
hi guys i have just read this =
Changing to another turbocharger design may be a big problem if you have a car with an older engine management system like the Bosch M4.3 and also the M4.4 may cause some problems.
Even though the part description on the turbocharger might look the same the character between the turbocharger models may vary a lot. For example Mitsubishi 16T turbochargers MY96 have a different character than a Mitsubishi 16T MY01 due to different turbine design and size. The biggest problem that comes with that is that the pre-controlled boost pressure can be very different and mounting the later 16T on an older car can result in very high boost pressure peaks. Try to use a turbocharger that’s to be found within the engine management system that you have in your car. If your car has the Bosch M4.3 system, try to use turbochargers that can be found between MY94 and MY98 and that goes for the Bosch M4.4 as well. Both 16T and 18T are to be found with two designs, one with straight outlet for the Bosch M4.4 and one with tilted outlet for the Bosch ME7. Turbochargers from the Bosch ME7 system can be a big problem and it may be hard to calibrate the pre-controlled boost level to work in all gears.

does this mean that if i get a 18/19t or k24 that i will have to change my engine managment, never heard of this before
cheers

Jamest5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 20:44
Basically get a map done to suit your turbo.

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 20:49
Basically get a map done to suit your turbo.

right m8 , i was lost there for a sec lol , i havent even looked at that engine yet lol , does it mean that you should not change from a straight flanged to a angled 1 , hows the car running m8 , you still goin to york

t5 pete
Friday 2nd April 2010, 20:51
its means when you fit a different turbo you will have to have the ecu reprogramed to controll the different turbo it doesnt matter if its a straight or angled out let

p fandango
Friday 2nd April 2010, 20:59
or don't let the ECU control the boost lol

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 21:03
its means when you fit a different turbo you will have to have the ecu reprogramed to controll the different turbo it doesnt matter if its a straight or angled out let

pete have you seen my old turbo lol

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 21:03
or don't let the ECU control the boost lol

i have disconected the BCS , so the turbo is workin the actuator , if that maes sense the way i worded it lol
cheers

Jamest5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 21:07
right m8 , i was lost there for a sec lol , i havent even looked at that engine yet lol , does it mean that you should not change from a straight flanged to a angled 1 , hows the car running m8 , you still goin to york

Think ive blown the head gasket on an oil jacket getting excessive crank pressure and burning oil out the back got to take the head off not impressed, if i still had the block i sold you i would of just put that in lol

p fandango
Friday 2nd April 2010, 21:10
i have disconected the BCS , so the turbo is workin the actuator , if that maes sense the way i worded it lol
yeh mines the same, i've got the Apexi inline instead of the BCS but thats purely monitoring at the minute

t5 pete
Friday 2nd April 2010, 21:11
hope your still gunna make york james yeah seen the pics of your turbo lee

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 21:18
[/U][/I][/B]

Think ive blown the head gasket on an oil jacket getting excessive crank pressure and burning oil out the back got to take the head off not impressed, if i still had the block i sold you i would of just put that in lol

not good like m8 , i helped my m8 fix mine like and recon i could do 1 like lol , it cost me a bit like , got the full gasket set for less than 100 and the head bolts were about 4quid each then the head skim and pressure test , cost me 600 in total but that was a new timing belt kit fan belt water pump , 200 labour etc , not used a drop of water since then aswell

Jamest5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 21:31
Cheers mate, i know what you mean about the head bolts bloody 3 quid each from rufe and 12 of the buggers + gasket £36 + timing belt and tensioner etc, can't remember how much but the best part of £200 for all the decent parts but smithy is helping me do it next week so no labour charge lol and yes i will be at york but also going to avon on the 18th april with smithy for some testing lol

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 21:49
Cheers mate, i know what you mean about the head bolts bloody 3 quid each from rufe and 12 of the buggers + gasket £36 + timing belt and tensioner etc, can't remember how much but the best part of £200 for all the decent parts but smithy is helping me do it next week so no labour charge lol and yes i will be at york but also going to avon on the 18th april with smithy for some testing lol

my 2nd gear is playin up lol so i dont think i will be running it like , keeps jumpin out if ya dont put it al the way in lol sounded dirty that lol
so i could be on the hunt like , but if not i might strip the lot out of it

t5 pete
Friday 2nd April 2010, 21:53
my 2nd gear is playin up lol so i dont think i will be running it like , keeps jumpin out if ya dont put it al the way in lol sounded dirty that lol

Mynes been like it for a year or so just jumps out every so often nothing to worrie about its a bit annoying at first but youll get used to it, well i did i carnt be bothered replacing the box for something as little as that i will replace it though when it needs a new clutch

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:09
Mynes been like it for a year or so just jumps out every so often nothing to worrie about its a bit annoying at first but youll get used to it, well i did i carnt be bothered replacing the box for something as little as that i will replace it though when it needs a new clutch

just have to make sure its IN lol you reckon that turbo would cause the car not to hold boost m8

t5 pete
Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:11
when the turbo is hot the cast will expand and close the cracks alittle also are all the cracks internal and not leaking to atmosphere if not i doubt it would make much difference at all.

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:15
when the turbo is hot the cast will expand and close the cracks alittle also are all the cracks internal and not leaking to atmosphere if not i doubt it would make much difference at all.

all around the wastgate port was cracked bad and the inlet on the exhaust was cracked as far as i could see into the turbo and were the perpela goes was gone like , but the last couple of days the car seemed slugish lol so ab blocked the hole up on the bottom of the intercooler, cleaned all the pipes up and am busy with that turbo goin on am goin to decat it tomo so al give it a go on sunday and see what its like

t5 pete
Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:19
what turbo are you going to fit then lee

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:24
what turbo are you going to fit then lee

well a gt is out of the question for now anyways , so probs a k24 or 18/19t , but am goin to get the most out of it lol , i cant justify the price yet lol plus i have fallen in love with a audi s1 , so that volvo could become track based if i get my hands on the audi

t5 pete
Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:26
lol there nothing cheep to modding cars

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:32
lol there nothing cheep to modding cars

tell me about it m8 , i need and want everything i see lol , was watchin a vid of a 560bhp audi lol , i would love to make the t5r rwd or 4wd but i havent got the time or space , might even try some thing nuts like a capri with a t5 lump in lol

t5 pete
Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:42
ive often thought about making my t5 rwd but decided on doing the 240 but it can be done you would just need to get a donor car and just every thing off that the bulk head would need opening up to allow for a gear box and a tunnel fitting if you could get a cosworth thats been fired but not too much you would be abe to use most parts off that and with some custom work it can be made to fit

Jamest5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:52

Got a m56 box £45 mate.

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 22:53
ive often thought about making my t5 rwd but decided on doing the 240 but it can be done you would just need to get a donor car and just every thing off that the bulk head would need opening up to allow for a gear box and a tunnel fitting if you could get a cosworth thats been fired but not too much you would be abe to use most parts off that and with some custom work it can be made to fit

its not goin to happen as i would get bored lol , the volvo will do for 400 hourses untill i need more lol , have you seen the audi s2 and s2s m8

t5 pete
Friday 2nd April 2010, 23:01
no never read much on them

leet5r
Friday 2nd April 2010, 23:03
no never read much on them

canny mad like a ran a similar thig to anti lag as standard lol

t5 pete
Friday 2nd April 2010, 23:05
any utube clips of them

leet5r
Saturday 3rd April 2010, 10:20
any utube clips of them

there will be m8 , just loo under audi s2 and audi s2 , theres a s2 with 1288bhp

leet5r
Saturday 3rd April 2010, 10:21
Got a m56 box £45 mate.

whats it like m8 , how many miles etc
cheers ]could be intrested

Jamest5r
Saturday 3rd April 2010, 17:03
whats it like m8 , how many miles etc
cheers ]could be intrested

Not sure on the milage mate it came out of the donor car i bought but i used a m59 box instead, the engine had 97k on it but i cant be sure if its the original box. Just being honest.

leet5r
Saturday 3rd April 2010, 18:17
Not sure on the milage mate it came out of the donor car i bought but i used a m59 box instead, the engine had 97k on it but i cant be sure if its the original box. Just being honest.

have you got any down pipes lying about , as this turbo av just put on has a slighty diff down pipe fit , am up **** creek if not m8 , cheers al let you know about the box in about a week

t5 pete
Saturday 3rd April 2010, 19:55
sent you a pm lee i have one for you