PDA

View Full Version : Geartronic Problems

alileg69
Friday 2nd April 2010, 15:46
Right, Just got back from holiday with a bag full of new problems....
I've had a search of the site to see if there are answers to my problem, but it doesnt seem so. I'm kinda hoping its just going to be a fluid change job, but it does seem a bit strange.

So, symptoms are as follows:

1. Changes can be quite harsh, even not under load. But not all the time.

2. Changes under load are accompanied with a slight squeal, sort of like a clutch slipping noise. But again, not all the time!!

3. When its under load, say 3500 rpm, it seems to stop accelerating, kinda jerky like its trying to change gear (even though it shouldnt be!!) But again. It only does this sometimes....

4. And finally, for example, you are on a motorway, cruising in 5th. Foot down and it should go for 4th but instead of changing down, it kicks straight into limp home mode. Message on the dash is something like 'Reduced Performance' and wont go over 20mph. Once stopped, the engine is running rough, like its missing a couple of cylinders. So you just turn the engine off and back on again, and all is back to normal.... Only done this twice, but probably coz i was taking it especially slowly on the way home today.

I am a mechanic, so do understand the workings of it all, just not had a chance to look into it. Thinking if its been in limp home mode then there should at least be a code listed when i plug the diagnostics into it. Mainly wanted to check i'm not doing any more damage to it!!

Any info will be greatly appreciated!!

Ali

alileg69
Saturday 3rd April 2010, 23:05
Right, had it on the Solus today, no codes on the engine side so i know its not an engine problem that was putting it into safe. Problem was i couldnt connect to the gearbox ecu. Dont know if you can only connect with cirtain systems? So still none the wiser. Nobody got any ideas? Starting to think its electrical fault tho, not mechanical gearbox fault..