PDA

View Full Version : Too Much Boost

PaulZX
Thursday 1st April 2010, 17:22
Driving the old girl yesterday, I noticed she was feeling a chirpy, got on a straight clear country road, put my foot down in 3rd and concentrated on what the boost was doing... I backed off as the boost built up towards 20psi, (normal max is 16psi) dropped her into 4th, repeated excercise, and the boost again shot up, I backed off, in 4th at 65-70mph with the boost still flying up, at 21-22psi, it felt like she was gonna go all the way up my 30psi scale, there was loads of revs left....

I'm obviously in rod bending territory here, what should I look for, as there's obviously a problem there....?

nb:

christ did she accelerate well in 3rd and 4th, holy crap.... :mischievo

leet5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 17:58
put rods in then lol , mine you to peak at 20 the drop to 12 ish , had tha rod to tight on the actuator and it couldnt hold it lol

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 18:27
What you running in the engine mate?? mbc and/or remap? if its on a standard ecu and just a mbc maybe that's failing? but your right that boost is way too high.

PaulZX
Thursday 1st April 2010, 18:37
running an mbc no remap..... I'll have a squizz at that then....

p fandango
Thursday 1st April 2010, 18:38
my first call would be the MBC mate

or you could get to the pod & beat your 13.9 lol

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 18:44
my first call would be the MBC mate

or you could get to the pod & beat your 13.9 lol

AAAHHH im dreaming off a 1/4 in sub 14 was going to give it a bash this sunday but my h/g has given up on me:cry::cry: Saw the vid of yours ffm very impressive

PaulZX
Thursday 1st April 2010, 18:53
ta james... ;)

oh she'd sooooo beat 13.9 as she's running now, presuming she made it to the end of the track that is.... :lol:

that little test I did felt awesome... THAT'S how t5's should go all the time :D

p fandango
Thursday 1st April 2010, 18:56
THAT'S how t5's should go all the time :D
some people are never happy, a 19t & its still not good enough inless its overboosting lol

Alan M
Thursday 1st April 2010, 18:56
Driving the old girl yesterday, I noticed she was feeling a chirpy, got on a straight clear country road, put my foot down in 3rd and concentrated on what the boost was doing... I backed off as the boost built up towards 20psi, (normal max is 16psi) dropped her into 4th, repeated excercise, and the boost again shot up, I backed off, in 4th at 65-70mph with the boost still flying up, at 21-22psi, it felt like she was gonna go all the way up my 30psi scale, there was loads of revs left....

I'm obviously in rod bending territory here, what should I look for, as there's obviously a problem there....?

nb:

christ did she accelerate well in 3rd and 4th, holy crap.... :mischievo

I see the turbo is boosting well Paul.

PaulZX
Thursday 1st April 2010, 18:57
The turbo has been faultless mate (*touch wood*) a credit to you for the work done to it.... :)

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 19:09
After my conversion to manual my ecu threw at bit of a wobble and was boosting to 1.5 bar i could see the needle going flat(3 o'clock) on the dash and when it took it to the r/r i told hamish to take it easy as i knew it was high, it made 555n/m @ 1.5 bar first and last time...sensible map now on lol

Alan do you refub turbo's mate?, sorry not called you but i think its the gasket on an oil jacket only way i could be pulling oil through and getting crankcase pressue will let you know when the heads off. cheers sorry ffm for the hijack

PaulZX
Thursday 1st April 2010, 19:11
Mine made 321lb ft @16psi, at Hamish's last time, what's that in NM's?

*edit*

That's 435NM, and your 555NM was 409 lb ft :D

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 19:14
Mine made 321lb ft @16psi, at Hamish's last time, what's that in NM's?

P.Diddy one for you mate...clocks running

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 19:23
Im now getting out off a 16t 456n/m and 269whp.....wish i could get on the strip....good things come to those that wait... you can see the graph in my "project manual" thread last page.

PaulZX
Thursday 1st April 2010, 19:24
In theory your car should beat my time....

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 19:48
Ah the laws of physics and probabilitly:confused:....depends how i drive you could give it a go if you like:)

PaulZX
Thursday 1st April 2010, 19:53
see how you do first, it might be you havin a go of mine....

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 20:06
see how you do first, it might be you havin a go of mine....

Sounds like a good new sport to me..how much can you beat your mate by in his own car lol, never tried a 19t would like to have a bash.

PaulZX
Thursday 1st April 2010, 20:10
Mine's a 16T hybrid, so the same as a 19T but I like the "hybrid" bit... makes it sound more modded.... lmao

t5_monkey
Thursday 1st April 2010, 22:00
Is it possible to have 'too much boost' ? :)

RT MECHANICS
Thursday 1st April 2010, 22:02

:mischievo

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 22:38

As above

Once you've got to 2.5 bar who's counting.

t5 pete
Thursday 1st April 2010, 22:46
what psi are you running james and are you using whites

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 22:58
what psi are you running james and are you using whites

1.2 bar on orange's that i got refubed and im still over-fueling in the mid-range so no need to up grade till forged internals are used and over 300whp is required imho lol

p fandango
Thursday 1st April 2010, 23:00
1.2 bar on orange's that i got refubed and im still over-fueling in the mid-range so no need to up grade till forged internals are used and over 300whp is required imho lol
but what duty are they running? i've had mine at 99%

t5 pete
Thursday 1st April 2010, 23:04
I woulder what the max psi is to run through the 16t before it makes no difference and if the 18t and 19t can handle a little more

t5 pete
Thursday 1st April 2010, 23:05

What you set your mbc to pedro

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 23:05

Dont get technical with me Duane i only do nuts and bolts lol, i have no idea how would i tell? from the graph's/data>

Jamest5r
Thursday 1st April 2010, 23:14
I woulder what the max psi is to run through the 16t before it makes no difference and if the 18t and 19t can handle a little more

Mine took 1.5 bar without a problem lol, i don't know if the 18/19t are any stronger just they ard a little bigger are spool for longer in the higher range, i went for the ported 16t because i wanted the low down quick grunt and a smooth curve of power from then on, i had my perfect car till last week :cry::cry::cry:

p fandango
Friday 2nd April 2010, 07:40
What you set your mbc to pedro
since having the 19t fitted i've only used the Apexi for monitoring because i'm unsure of the AFR & runs 10psi from the 19t actuator

p fandango
Friday 2nd April 2010, 07:44
Dont get technical with me Duane i only do nuts and bolts lol, i have no idea how would i tell? from the graph's/data>
lol the only way i know about it mate is my Apexi boost controller measures it

p fandango
Friday 2nd April 2010, 07:57
Mine took 1.5 bar without a problem lol, i don't know if the 18/19t are any stronger just they ard a little bigger are spool for longer in the higher range, i went for the ported 16t because i wanted the low down quick grunt and a smooth curve of power from then on, i had my perfect car till last week :cry::cry::cry:
as FFM will tell you as well our 19t's boost up very well low down, easily on par with the 15g but the powere just keeps building & building till the redline