PDA

View Full Version : USA Spec PA11-VOL iPod adapter

princepugh
Thursday 1st April 2010, 13:51
It’s been on the cards for a while but courtesy of a forum member I’ve finally managed to source a nearly new PA11-VOL.

Installation
Pretty much dead straight forward:– Climate panel out, slide HU-803 out, PA11-VOL black wire grounded to HU-803 base screw; PA11-VOL yellow wire snap-locked onto HU-803 RED B+ whilst being careful not to disconnect any climate panel or radio cabling in the process.

Cabling
The cables from the Radio to PA11-VOL and PA11-VOL to iPod are plenty long enough to run to a suitable location. Mine is routed via the glove box and I’ll probably mount it there permanently, possibly routing the iPod cable out along the side of the centre console through into the arm rest.

Operation
Masquerading as a 6 disc external CD changer it supports 2 modes of play operation and a phono auxiliary for non-iPod devices. Regular head unit and steering wheel track skip, FFW/RWD and volume control work as normal as well as the head unit random play function. I’m operating in ‘playlist mode’ at the moment which allows me to play 4 iPod playlists as 'discs' as well as playing all content as a 'disc' or selecting direct iPod control as a 'disc'. The operational modes can be set via dipswitches on the device as necessary.

Quality
Fantastic – no perceptible noise or distortion, even when using some of the more aggressive EQ modes on the iPod and no need to use ‘Sound Check’ as a compressor. The unit itself is robustly constructed and the cables & connectors are of good quality, so no need to worry about protecting feeble wires.

Cost v Benefit
At circa £130 imported from the USA it’s not exactly cheap but if you’ve got an iPod and want decent sound quality then a wired connection is far superior to any transmitter. Put it this way, it’s not something you’re likely to buy then regret, especially as it hooks into the standard car controls.

“Does your head unit, iPod and favourite tunes the justice they deserve!” :smile:

Al115
Thursday 1st April 2010, 14:08
Any clue if it works with the iPhone 3GS?

princepugh
Thursday 1st April 2010, 14:55
Website suggests compatibility:- http://www.usaspec.com/product.php?ProductID=35

Piles
Thursday 1st April 2010, 15:23
Al, as an alternative I have one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GENUINE-PARROT-MKI9200-BLUETOOTH-HANDSFREE-CAR-KIT-EURO_W0QQitemZ250594893929QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Mo bilePhones_MobilePhoneAccessories_MobilePhoneBatte ries?hash=item3a589ea069#ht_3386wt_1012

I also have an iPhone 3gs.

I only tend play the iphone playlists via the bluetooth music option on this. Although it's equally as easy to connect the iPhone and play and charge it at the same time.
I also have a 100gb external hard drive permanently in the car, in the arm rest, which I use to scroll through ALL of my music at will.
It is hands free, remote control, discrete and has been absolutely superb imo.

Easy to fit (with the right adaptor) and works superbly well.

Libra
Saturday 3rd April 2010, 20:15
Thanks for that small write up, princepugh. It is something I really need to buy as making CD's for this and that from itunes is a real pita and costly in the long run.

Al115
Sunday 4th April 2010, 07:42
Fitting mine today...

Libra
Sunday 4th April 2010, 11:40
Operation
Masquerading as external CD changer it supports 2 modes of play operation and a phono auxiliary for non-iPod devices. Normal head unit and steering wheel track skip, FFW/RWD and volume control work as normal as well as the head unit random play function. I’m operating in ‘direct mode’ at the moment which basically plays the whole content on the device, however, ‘playlist mode’ is available (via dipswitch settings) which presents the playlists are ‘discs’ which can be selected via the normal ‘disc/channel’ controls.

Let me get this right. In "direct mode" are you saying it plays your entire music collection like on the iPod when you go to Music> Albums>All Songs - which plays your all your songs on the ipod one after each other.

So in "playlist mode" do you have to create custom playlists in itunes which you would access by Music>Playlists> (My Playlist or Recently Purchased or Recently Added etc.) Or have I got that wrong.

Last thing what is displayed on the LCD HU screen? Current song, playlist that is playing?

princepugh
Monday 5th April 2010, 00:10
Let me get this right. In "direct mode" are you saying it plays your entire music collection like on the iPod when you go to Music> Albums>All Songs - which plays your all your songs on the ipod one after each other.

So in "playlist mode" do you have to create custom playlists in itunes which you would access by Music>Playlists> (My Playlist or Recently Purchased or Recently Added etc.) Or have I got that wrong.

Last thing what is displayed on the LCD HU screen? Current song, playlist that is playing?

OK I should probably clarify this based on the latest documentation and my findings; here are probably the two most useful configurations:-

Playlist ON, Auxiliary OFF

Disc 1 - 4 = iPod Playlists 1 through 4
Disc 5 = All iPod content
Disc 6 = Use iPod directly (i.e. device in hand, so to speak)

Playlist ON, Auxiliary ON

Disc 1 -3 = iPod playlists 1 through 3
Disc 4 = All iPod content
Disc 5 = Use iPod directly
Disc 6 = Auxilliary device [DVD/ MP3/ SatNav]

Your comments about All Songs and Playlists are about right, not sure about Recently Purchased though, I'm running a Nano.

The output on HU-803 LED screen is merely disc (playlist) and track number - track names are not supported.

HTH

Al115
Monday 5th April 2010, 09:17
Now fitted mine. Plays from my 3GS but doesn't charge it... Which is a real shame!!!

Libra
Monday 5th April 2010, 10:16
OK I should probably clarify this based on the latest documentation and my findings; here are probably the two most useful configurations:-

Playlist ON, Auxiliary OFF

Disc 1 - 4 = iPod Playlists 1 through 4
Disc 5 = All iPod content
Disc 6 = Use iPod directly (i.e. device in hand, so to speak)

Playlist ON, Auxiliary ON

Disc 1 -3 = iPod playlists 1 through 3
Disc 4 = All iPod content
Disc 5 = Use iPod directly
Disc 6 = Auxilliary device [DVD/ MP3/ SatNav]

Your comments about All Songs and Playlists are about right, not sure about Recently Purchased though, I'm running a Nano.

The output on HU-803 LED screen is merely disc (playlist) and track number - track names are not supported.

HTH

Thank you for that information. I think you have just made up my mind on an ipod car adapter.

Al115
Monday 5th April 2010, 10:31
Turns out that they changed the cables last year... hence the charging issue.

princepugh
Monday 5th April 2010, 19:00
Turns out that they changed the cables last year... hence the charging issue.

That's a bugger, did you pick yours up second hand then? Seems the new cables are about $20 yes?

gazbak1
Monday 5th April 2010, 19:02
That's a bugger, did you pick yours up second hand then? Seems the new cables are about $20 yes?

just i case i didn't tell you the one i sold you is the very latest one!

so will work and charge the iphone and ipod touch

Al115
Monday 5th April 2010, 23:59
No I've had it kicking around for a while, just never got round to fitting it!

Volvo Family
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 11:51
Just fitted mine and it's great. Works brilliantly with ipod Touch and ok with iphone - although a bit of interference from the iphone when the mode which allows the auxilliary mode is used (not sure what it is called). Shame it doesn't route calls through the stereo but I gather that's an Apple 'problem' not USA Spec. Will have to continue with my bluetooth mic/speaker on the sun visor.

Charges both 3rd gen touch and iphone 3G although both say that it doesn't when you plug them in. Also charges 5G Nano too.

Al115
Tuesday 27th April 2010, 13:22
Got my new cable today so hope that will resolve the "not charging" issue :)