PDA

View Full Version : crank shaft oil seal

sebturbo2000
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 19:21
hi i seem to have a lot of fresh engine oil on the bottom of the sump and it seems to be coming from cam belt area could it be crank shaft oil seal? anyone know how much a main stealer would charge to fix it .
the cars a v70 t5 x reg with 140,000 on the clock
many thanks

willi
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 20:37
I have been quoted £385 from my local garage which is family run and done it before for me in the past..I cant imagine a volvo dealer will be anywhere near that price.
The crank seal itself is only a few quid.

willi
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 17:29
Sorry sebturbo...I have given you the quote for the other end (crank to gearbox)..

Oooooops :-( However it still does sound like the crank seal..I will get you a quote from where i had my other end done.

willi
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 17:36
Just got a quote for £93.50 + vat...Because its a cambelt off job you might as well have that done while you are at it.
You then will have to add the price of a cambelt kit.
Hope this helps.

jez.w
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 17:55
Not sure you will get it done for anywhere near that price, its quite involved

willi
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 19:41
Not sure you will get it done for anywhere near that price, its quite involved

He said its usually 1.5-2 hours work..He classes it as a cambelt job with the added crank seal as extra.
I have been going their for 32 years and never had any problems yet.
As i said earlier the other end (crank to gearbox) seal is Nearly £400 which i didnt think was that bad either.

sebturbo2000
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 22:38
my cars booked in at alan gibson volvo at the moment for next friday but i can not make my mind up what to do i may do it my self ive done a cambelt in a celica gt4 before so i can not see it being much more difficult maybe the seal might be a bit tricky to get out but i have also thought about using this place http://www.garagebasingstoke.co.uk/