PDA

View Full Version : So begins Project Volvrat!!

Crazy_C
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 16:00
Well after getting my 850 T5 wagon, I started to get bored and thought I'd do some modding to it, and after much deciding, I opted to go down the rat look route with her.

She started off life with me looking pretty alright, but in need of some TLC to get her looking perfect.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0116.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0117.jpg

First part of the project was to get the alloys off and get some nice steel wheels on, and these babies turned up on eBay at a right steel (see what I did there ;) lol) so got her sitting on these lovely 15" rims.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0202.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0203.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0205.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0206.jpg

And then today, I've done the hood now, it's all down to the bare metal and I am debating on if I should laquer it like it is or let it rust? I am thinking rust will look more rat, and not dazzle other drivers when we do get sun, but it is getting some good looks driving round with the hood like this :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0214.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0212.jpg

volvokid
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 16:07
Are you running good tyres on that thing, it may be a bucket of crap but its still a T5 and needs to grip the road for safety

LiamT4
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 16:11
Not sure i understand the rat look but i do know why people go for the sleeper look (and i really like it), and i suppose this is just a more extreme version of that. Its not really my thing, but if everyone thought the same the world would be boring! Different is good. Good luck with your project (i think!)lol. BTW i bet you'll shock people with that at the lights!

Crazy_C
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 16:25
They're the steel wheels off an S60 so they're pretty decent tyres. Got new Firestone tyres on the front, and then odd ones on the back, but does the job nicely :D 195 wide tyres too, eventually I'll see about getting 205s on there when they need replacing, but these tyres are providing a decent amount of grip.

Liam, it's one of those things that you either get or don't, but as you say, it is like an extreme sleeper look. I love the fact that I'm gonna paint her next week on a day off, and if I get bored of that look, I can just change it on another day off, and not worry about it at all :D It's all a bit of fun really. Most people do it to old German cars, thought I'd bring it to the Swedish side :)

LiamT4
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 16:29
Fair play. At least you don't have to worry when you go to a carpark about idiots who can't seem to open their door without hitting you!

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 16:30
Are you running good tyres on that thing, it may be a bucket of crap but its still a T5 and needs to grip the road for safety

I say Martyn! Bucket of crap??? That's a bit harsh...:troutslap

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 16:32
Well after getting my 850 T5 wagon, I started to get bored and thought I'd do some modding to it, and after much deciding, I opted to go down the rat look route with her.

She started off life with me looking pretty alright, but in need of some TLC to get her looking perfect.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0116.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0117.jpg

First part of the project was to get the alloys off and get some nice steel wheels on, and these babies turned up on eBay at a right steel (see what I did there ;) lol) so got her sitting on these lovely 15" rims.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0202.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0203.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0205.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0206.jpg

And then today, I've done the hood now, it's all down to the bare metal and I am debating on if I should laquer it like it is or let it rust? I am thinking rust will look more rat, and not dazzle other drivers when we do get sun, but it is getting some good looks driving round with the hood like this :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0214.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0212.jpg

Can't you strip the entire car, now that would be something...
Looks a bit DeLorean at the moment - watch out when you get to 78mph!

Crazy_C
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 16:39
It's 88mph (sorry, big fan of the films lol). And yes, I could do the whole car like that, but it wouldn't really be suitable for the roads cos we had a bit of sun earlier and it was really rather dazzling!!!

Liam, yea, that's the best bit - there are loads of carpark dings in her already, but just doesn't matter if there are any more LOL

Phil, it's meant to look like a bucket of crap (at least when it's done) so I don't take any offence to that, and infact, it's like a compliment!!

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 18:26
How to loose every penny you spent on buying the car in one easy step :cuckoo::rotfl:

Crazy_C
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 18:35
I bought it for £500, and when I was down the auto shop today I had someone offer me £1500 for it so it's increased in value to the right people :D

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 18:43
I bought it for £500, and when I was down the auto shop today I had someone offer me £1500 for it so it's increased in value to the right people :D

Um hum :smileypul of course they did :crazy:

claymore
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 19:08
isnt the bonnet aluminium on an 850? (ignore me I'v just seen the other thread)

WOODY T5
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 19:11
think i would of bit is arm off never mind is hand?

willi
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 20:44
Defo not my thing but can appreciate it..My apprentice at work loves the polo/golf rat look.

Yosser
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:04
I like it.

I probably wouldn't do it myself, but it wouldn't do if we were all the same.

Keep us posted.

cragmaz
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:13
Mate, no offence an all that, its just MY PERSONAL OPINION, but your making/have made a nice car into a right F****n piece of ****!, whats the point of making a mobile terd, its not a good look is it, its like turning yourself into a Tramp with no money or job, such a waste, i mean, its not like you even have the novelty factor of blowin people away by havin a 400 Brake forged engine under the bonnet have you! so, why would you wanna drive around in such a **** car, its embarrasing and not cool at all, Rat was for dossers who **** afford to do proper mods!

Why dint you try and make your own style/look, Rat was well dead and gone at the end of last year!
Why didnt you just strip it and do the track thing, or Drag strip or fast road monster, its much more fun, easier to do, rewarding, cheap, and done right............Cool! Less is more dude!

Think your idea/project is S**T!, and it pains me to see such a cult car so F****D up!

(no offence!)

Craig

Mental Wealth Doctor
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:16
from prestige to rat lol, go for it mate, aint my cuppa t like, but im sure it'll be cool

Mental Wealth Doctor
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:18
Mate, no offence an all that, its just MY PERSONAL OPINION, but your making/have made a nice car into a right F****n piece of ****!, whats the point of making a mobile terd, its not a good look is it, its like turning yourself into a Tramp with no money or job, such a waste, i mean, its not like you even have the novelty factor of blowin people away by havin a 400 Brake forged engine under the bonnet have you! so, why would you wanna drive around in such a **** car, its embarrasing and not cool at all, Rat was for dossers who **** afford to do proper mods!

Why dint you try and make your own style/look, Rat was well dead and gone at the end of last year!
Why didnt you just strip it and do the track thing, or Drag strip or fast road monster, its much more fun, easier to do, rewarding, cheap, and done right............Cool! Less is more dude!

Think your idea/project is S**T!, and it pains me to see such a cult car so F****D up!

(no offence!)

Craig

LOL this man has spoken for volvo kind

t5 pete
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:24
As you can see above many people have different oppinions but if you like the rat look go for it.
Ive always liked the cars that look like ****ters and then they go like mad it certainly shocks people.

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:31
As you can see above many people have different oppinions but if you like the rat look go for it.
Ive always liked the cars that look like ****ters and then they go like mad it certainly shocks people.

But an 850 isn't going to go like mad - unless your going to spend buckets on tuning and upgrades its just going to be your average T5 which in todays climate of vauxhall turbo's and Ford ST's etc really isn't that quick anymore.

The whole sleeper thing is great but this isn't a sleeper because its drawing attention to itself and has nothing to show for it

Unless of course 'crazy' is going to make a 500bhp monster out of it that it?

t5 pete
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:38
But an 850 isn't going to go like mad - unless your going to spend buckets on tuning and upgrades its just going to be your average T5 which in todays climate of vauxhall turbo's and Ford ST's etc really isn't that quick anymore.

The whole sleeper thing is great but this isn't a sleeper because its drawing attention to itself and has nothing to show for it

Haha you have got worse since you came back thats the best thing about the rat look you never know what its going to be like.
Oh nearly forgot are you still wanting my chav lights pmsl

cragmaz
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:44

I agree pete, but this car is mechanically stock, like i said, its not as if there is a nice tuned engine to help the cause!

I agree aswell that its always a right laugh blitzing people in much more expensive cars!, ive done it many times in my T5, that to the uninformed and untrained eye, is "just a volvo", purley pushing the "street sleeper" style, and adding to the joy of seeing the angry and pissed off face of the bloke in the 50 grand RS4 that ive just out performed and out driven him in my Volvo Estate, Ha Ha!!!!!!

3 lads wi 1.2litre badged corsa "c"`s running turbo`ed C20LET engines putting out between 250/300 bhp, come in our garage, and there right sleepers, but there mint,and a credit to their owners, rats are rubbish, lets face it, its easy to make a car look **** and rust, but its real pride and joy stuff to have an awesome mint condition performance, cult vehicle, and have people comment on it and tell you how much they love it, i have had loads of comments about my car, and at TOTB last year, it drew a substansial crowd in the parking lot with photgraphs an all, it made my feel very proud.
would that happen wi a rat? i dont think so!!!

Ask russ@ RTMechanics why he dint make the peril a rat?

Craig

Mrsmopp
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:47
Haha you have got worse since you came back thats the best thing about the rat look you never know what its going to be like.
Oh nearly forgot are you still wanting my chav lights pmsl

:kiss: Missed me?! :D

Noooooo you got it all wrong, the 'rat look' is meant to make people thing its a load of tat then you pull out all the horses and shock them - a standard T5 just aint gonna cut it :B_steerin

Your chav lights wont fit the Bimmer ;)

t5 pete
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:53
:kiss: Missed me?! :D

Noooooo you got it all wrong, the 'rat look' is meant to make people thing its a load of tat then you pull out all the horses and shock them - a standard T5 just aint gonna cut it :B_steerin

Your chav lights wont fit the Bimmer ;)

LOL you never know he might have some engine plans for the future.
Oh and i can see you spelling is still as good as myne lol.
Hows baby mopp doing
And ill keep hold of the lights for when you return to the volvos i know mark like them.

cragmaz
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:54
[quote=Mrsmopp;299233]:kiss: Missed me?! :D

Your chav lights wont fit the Bimmer ;)[/quo

could not agree more, my point exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cragmaz
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:55
whats the lights pete???

Craig

kevin4878
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 21:57
sorry, but a decent T5 is hard to find, i do think this is heartbreaking, i had to send my baby to auction,due to circumstances out of my control only to get 135 for it, then had to pay 70 for the pleasure of there services, please stop now before its to late, its only a bonnet and wheels, dont trash such a lovely, in fact, beautiful motor.

t5 pete
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:01
whats the lights pete???

Craig

every one likes my chav lights lol
http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt39/t5pete/PICT0914-1.jpg

cragmaz
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:03
every one likes my chav lights lol

HMMMMMMM, dunno about them mate(?!?!?!)

t5 pete
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:05
you know you want them lol

RTS70R
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:11
RAT LOOK IS COOL

but i think sweet rims and a rat body is the way to go

cragmaz
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:16
RAT LOOK IS COOL

:pants:

C.

RTS70R
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:26
I bet there is plenty of people out there who think polishing a 15 year old tank a waste of time aswell

cragmaz
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:31
I bet there is plenty of people out there who think polishing a 15 year old tank a waste of time aswell

dont think so mate!, this is enthusiasts forum, so why would people think, and i presume you mean my/ or a 855 T5 is a "waste of time" as you say!

If you/ they, as you say, do think that, then what the F**k are they on here for anyway!!! and if you think that, then what the F**k are you doin on here!!!!!
Do you know or understand what your on about????

Craig

RTS70R
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:43
wow you think your volvo is THEEE BEST dont ya :D

calm down mate he just wants his car to be personalised
like you want yours to be special

all i meant was if some 150k super car owner seen your rants
he would probably say WHY

i love my volvo BUT its not THE GREATEST car in the world

Chill

sebasteeno
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:48
Completely agree! What a total piece of crap!

(no offence!)

Craig

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:54
Well I wouldn't do it myself these days, but what the heck, it would have probably gone to the crusher on a scrappage scheme a few months back. I would call it an experiment.
Good luck Crazy!

Crazy_C
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 22:57
Um hum :smileypul of course they did :crazy:

Yea, they're young lads into the rat look n like sound system n everything that she has. If I didn't need the car for work I'd have sold it there n then :D

(no offence!)

Craig

Nice rant, I'm not doing a traditional rat look (what's commonly referred to as murdered out), I'm doing my own style, as you can see with the bare metal hood. I'm going to sand that back and get it to a nice finish and laquer it like that and not rust it out I've decided. Then with the satin black and grey it'll look nice.

I have had the stripped out track cars and all that, but I have spinal cord damage so I can't race cars anymore or anything like that so I've had to do something different.

I'm not going down the path of a rat car that will blow everything else away (though the T5 with the manual boost controller on is pretty damn fast), I'm going down the path of the rat car that will blow everything else away with the sound system. I'm going to install another amp for the speakers to get them running perfectly, and I'm going to be getting some new, much much more powerful subs in the back too.

Hope that is more to your approval ;) lol

from prestige to rat lol, go for it mate, aint my cuppa t like, but im sure it'll be cool

Yea, I knew before I posted on here that 90% of you wouldn't like it but I decided to share the project with y'all anyways. Yes, to some of you this will be dreadful but end of the day it's my car, my choice to do what I want with it, and fair enough, some of you won't like it, but it's still a Volvo and this is a Volvo club :D

LOL you never know he might have some engine plans for the future.

Heh, would love 500hp, but cos of my back I wouldn't cope with anything like that. And I'm not spending buckets on the car at all, but I'm building her for bass, not to race ;) I'm aiming to get about 300hp from her with some work. Was 227.7hp at last dyno, now got performance leads and plugs in her, so should be pushing out some more, and tuned the boost controller to be running on a higher boost now too :D

sorry, but a decent T5 is hard to find, i do think this is heartbreaking, i had to send my baby to auction,due to circumstances out of my control only to get 135 for it, then had to pay 70 for the pleasure of there services, please stop now before its to late, its only a bonnet and wheels, dont trash such a lovely, in fact, beautiful motor.

That's part the reason why I'm not gonna do any rusting to the body itself or anything. But to be honest, this ISN'T a decent T5! That's why I'm doing it. If it was, believe me, I would be spending my efforts tuning her up instead of ratting out! It's not been that well maintained, no service history, and I'm having to do a fair bit of work on her. The paint is like orange peel and needs a respray.

Please, just remember this when you see how this progresses.

I agree pete, but this car is mechanically stock, like i said, its not as if there is a nice tuned engine to help the cause!

I agree aswell that its always a right laugh blitzing people in much more expensive cars!, ive done it many times in my T5, that to the uninformed and untrained eye, is "just a volvo", purley pushing the "street sleeper" style, and adding to the joy of seeing the angry and pissed off face of the bloke in the 50 grand RS4 that ive just out performed and out driven him in my Volvo Estate, Ha Ha!!!!!!

3 lads wi 1.2litre badged corsa "c"`s running turbo`ed C20LET engines putting out between 250/300 bhp, come in our garage, and there right sleepers, but there mint,and a credit to their owners, rats are rubbish, lets face it, its easy to make a car look **** and rust, but its real pride and joy stuff to have an awesome mint condition performance, cult vehicle, and have people comment on it and tell you how much they love it, i have had loads of comments about my car, and at TOTB last year, it drew a substansial crowd in the parking lot with photgraphs an all, it made my feel very proud.
would that happen wi a rat? i dont think so!!!

Ask russ@ RTMechanics why he dint make the peril a rat?

Craig

Actually, on the point of the photos, the stand that had the most attention at Fast Show was the Rat Look stand. Most their cars have been featured on the highlights from the show too.

Rat cars are first, and foremost, about having fun!! I am having fun with this, and no matter how many rants you do, I'll keep having fun with this project :D

Yes, I love sleeper cars as much as the next person, I used to have a Skoda Felicia estate with a Golf GTi engine in it, but I prefer cars that stand out a mile :D Like I had an old Camaro that was yellow with twin chromed superchargers sticking out the hood!! And I had a Honda Prelude with a mahoooooosive body kit and roof scoops and totally covered in stickers on the back too. That's just my style :D I mean, I used to have purple and green hair (not at the same time lol)

RAT LOOK IS COOL

Thank you :D

Please remember the following things when commenting about my project.

1 - this car WAS NOT mint condition or anything, it is in need of a respray, is covered in carpark dings and dents, and the paint is like orange skin

2 - the rat look has NOT died out, there is always rat style about, has been for decades

3 - the rat look isn't about sleeper style or anything, it's about having fun and having a laugh and driving a car that draws attention admittedly, half the time, for the wrong reason, but it's still fun

4 - it's still my car and my pride n joy :) You wouldn't want me insulting or ranting about your car, so please, don't rant and rave about my car, even if no offence is meant, still don't like having to read rants about your opinion on how you think I'm ruining a car that wasn't perfectly good.

Cheers

t5 stealth
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 23:03
not really gona comment on this but just a thought....
you say your running on 195 tyres.......
factory fit is 205...........
how would you explain if you have an accident on narrower tyres than the car is meant to have,which isnt a SPACE SAVER. (which the manufacturer thought it should have) just a thought.....be carefull :)

Crazy_C
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 23:13
The tyres will be upgraded to 205s when I can afford them, just to fill the arches a bit more :)

But you can run narrower tyres than stock. Look at all the people who run with stretched tyres. If there's an accident it isn't really something they look at. Plus not exactly much difference between 195 and 205 wide tyres. Not like I'm running 155s or anything.

volvokid
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 00:08
I say Martyn! Bucket of crap??? That's a bit harsh...:troutslap

Well it is really there's nothing nice about it lol he wants it to be a rat after all I'm not going to say wow thats an amazing T5, if it was clean I would say it was if he's taking a grinder to the paint its hardly going to be a nice car is it? I'm sure he would agree with me. I think its a funny idea what he's doing, total waste of a good car mind you but he's having fun with it.

Crazy_C
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 00:14
Well it is really there's nothing nice about it lol he wants it to be a rat after all I'm not going to say wow thats an amazing T5, if it was clean I would say it was if he's taking a grinder to the paint its hardly going to be a nice car is it? I'm sure he would agree with me. I think its a funny idea what he's doing, total waste of a good car mind you but he's having fun with it.

I actually take that as a compliment because you're exactly right, I'm taking the grinder to it and it's not meant to be a nice looking car. Will turn out looking a funky looking ride, and different, but that's what I want :D

Not that great a car to start with though mind you. It was a quick buy at £500 with no history at all. Mechanically sound, just needs some work and jobs a good'un there.

And end of the day, when I come to sell it, IF I sell it, she'll either be sold as a rat, or I'll put a new hood on her and spray the whole thing gloss black.

But chances are she'll be coming to Canada with me next year :)

volvokid
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 00:20
She'll blend in fine in Canada lol there windows and bonnets are all stone chipped to hell

Crazy_C
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 00:23
Heh, tell me about it!! My truck is beat up to hell n back, the rust from all the salt in the air and from the roads in the winter has made the holes that were in it even worse! LOL

Rat look is just normal there on any car over 7 years old hahaa

cragmaz
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 02:16
wow you think your volvo is THEEE BEST dont ya :D

calm down mate he just wants his car to be personalised
like you want yours to be special

all i meant was if some 150k super car owner seen your rants
he would probably say WHY

i love my volvo BUT its not THE GREATEST car in the world

Chill

Er, NO!........... not in any sense!

cragmaz
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 02:20
Yea, they're young lads into the rat look n like sound system n everything that she has. If I didn't need the car for work I'd have sold it there n then :D

Nice rant, I'm not doing a traditional rat look (what's commonly referred to as murdered out), I'm doing my own style, as you can see with the bare metal hood. I'm going to sand that back and get it to a nice finish and laquer it like that and not rust it out I've decided. Then with the satin black and grey it'll look nice.

I have had the stripped out track cars and all that, but I have spinal cord damage so I can't race cars anymore or anything like that so I've had to do something different.

I'm not going down the path of a rat car that will blow everything else away (though the T5 with the manual boost controller on is pretty damn fast), I'm going down the path of the rat car that will blow everything else away with the sound system. I'm going to install another amp for the speakers to get them running perfectly, and I'm going to be getting some new, much much more powerful subs in the back too.

Hope that is more to your approval ;) lol

Good luck pal, each to their own!!!

Yea, I knew before I posted on here that 90% of you wouldn't like it but I decided to share the project with y'all anyways. Yes, to some of you this will be dreadful but end of the day it's my car, my choice to do what I want with it, and fair enough, some of you won't like it, but it's still a Volvo and this is a Volvo club :D

Heh, would love 500hp, but cos of my back I wouldn't cope with anything like that. And I'm not spending buckets on the car at all, but I'm building her for bass, not to race ;) I'm aiming to get about 300hp from her with some work. Was 227.7hp at last dyno, now got performance leads and plugs in her, so should be pushing out some more, and tuned the boost controller to be running on a higher boost now too :D

That's part the reason why I'm not gonna do any rusting to the body itself or anything. But to be honest, this ISN'T a decent T5! That's why I'm doing it. If it was, believe me, I would be spending my efforts tuning her up instead of ratting out! It's not been that well maintained, no service history, and I'm having to do a fair bit of work on her. The paint is like orange peel and needs a respray.

Please, just remember this when you see how this progresses.

Actually, on the point of the photos, the stand that had the most attention at Fast Show was the Rat Look stand. Most their cars have been featured on the highlights from the show too.

Rat cars are first, and foremost, about having fun!! I am having fun with this, and no matter how many rants you do, I'll keep having fun with this project :D

Yes, I love sleeper cars as much as the next person, I used to have a Skoda Felicia estate with a Golf GTi engine in it, but I prefer cars that stand out a mile :D Like I had an old Camaro that was yellow with twin chromed superchargers sticking out the hood!! And I had a Honda Prelude with a mahoooooosive body kit and roof scoops and totally covered in stickers on the back too. That's just my style :D I mean, I used to have purple and green hair (not at the same time lol)

Thank you :D

Please remember the following things when commenting about my project.

1 - this car WAS NOT mint condition or anything, it is in need of a respray, is covered in carpark dings and dents, and the paint is like orange skin

2 - the rat look has NOT died out, there is always rat style about, has been for decades

3 - the rat look isn't about sleeper style or anything, it's about having fun and having a laugh and driving a car that draws attention admittedly, half the time, for the wrong reason, but it's still fun

4 - it's still my car and my pride n joy :) You wouldn't want me insulting or ranting about your car, so please, don't rant and rave about my car, even if no offence is meant, still don't like having to read rants about your opinion on how you think I'm ruining a car that wasn't perfectly good.

Cheers

Fair enough mate, each to their own

p fandango
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 06:16
i will admit i've never been into the rat look on cars, but i've never been able to see the fascination with 10bhp Beetles either so guess its just something i'll never get lol

the way i see it their's no value in T-5's anymore so might as well have fun with it & do what you want, atleast its another one still on the road & not traded in under the scrapage scheme

Flatout Phil
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 08:37
You could do a grand tour of Europe by doing the Scumrun (have to be next year though): http://www.scumrun.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=10&Itemid=19

Crazy_C
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 09:41
Ooooh, that looks fun!! Scum run in the Volvrat would be pretty funky! Hadn't heard about this before. Cheers :D

And Fandango, yea, everyone is into their own things, that's why we're all individuals :D Makes the world that bit more interesting I think :)

Haizum74
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 11:13
Why are folk getting annoyed at someone who wants to rat out their car? He paid for it, he can do what the feck he likes to it. Jeez :smileypul And the username says it all.

Tomcat
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 12:23
Couldn't agree more, it would be a pretty boring place if we all did the same thing wouldn't it?, good luck with it, be interesting to see how it turns out.

MrMopp
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 14:18
And adding to the joy of seeing the angry and pissed off face of the bloke in the 50 grand RS4 that ive just out performed and out driven him in my Volvo Estate, Ha Ha!!!!!!

Craig

LOL:cuckoo: Either you missed your true vocation and should be driving F1 or that RS4 was driven by someones nan :)

p fandango
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 16:34
Why are folk getting annoyed at someone who wants to rat out their car? He paid for it, he can do what the feck he likes to it. Jeez :smileypul And the username says it all.
lol you should of seen the comments when i fitted my ugly bumper (ex-BTCC bumper)

Tomcat
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 17:26
lol you should of seen the comments when i fitted my ugly bumper (ex-BTCC bumper)

Dont bring that thing up again,lol.

cragmaz
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 18:56
LOL:cuckoo: Either you missed your true vocation and should be driving F1 or that RS4 was driven by someones nan :)

i CAN drive mate, and some people refer to me as a bit mad like, but i dont mind, plus the RS4 Driver was, as they say on Top Gear, a ££££! with much more money than skill and ability. Ha Ha!!!

Craig

Vikingxl
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 18:58

Didnt you get done at the time for impersonating a snow plough????

Vikingxl
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 19:00
Should definately have a matt black paint job just like all the old rat bikes!!

MisterC1501
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 19:31

Is it me, but is that 850 extra small or is the man in shorts a giant??

t5 pete
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 19:38
Is it me, but is that 850 extra small or is the man in shorts a giant??

Haha it does look weired

Vikingxl
Wednesday 31st March 2010, 19:39
Thats one freaky picture

Crazy_C
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 00:07
That is a very freaky picture!!

So I've done a fair bit of work today. Put some lemon juice and salt on the hood last night to let the side bits rust and keep the middle bit all bare metal :D Also built a new pair of sub boxes too, maximum size (2.25cu.ft) with the port too, with a nice gap in the middle too for me to lay down and kip for when I'm at shows :D

Really pleased with the work I've managed today, and I've now got a bit of a ratted out trunk too which I think looks pretty funky!! Lemme know what y'all think :D I know there are gonna be a few haters for me doing this to a T5, but it's all fun :D

So here are the pictures :D

The hood:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0239.jpg

The trunk with the new audio installation :D
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0231.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0237.jpg

The purple thing is my space monkey, won it at the pier in my home town just before it burnt down and it's become the mascot for all my cars since then. I won it for the gf at the time, and she said she didn't want it, so I gave it to my car instead lol

p fandango
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 05:05
i think you should rust the whole bonnet, having it like that looks like a failed Rolls Royce to me

http://www.egmcartech.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/01/rolls_royce_phantom_coupe_cover_10.jpg

Crazy_C
Wednesday 7th April 2010, 08:57
LOL, good point that, not thought of that, cheers dude!!

phil_woods
Thursday 8th April 2010, 20:09
I have had no experience of this RAT melarky, I dont think it has hit liverpool. The way I see it is that you have paid your money to buy your car and its yours to do what you want with it. I personally don't get it but each to there own. If you are having fun and enjoying yourself then you shouldnt really care what people think. This has made interesting reading though so make sure you keep us posted.
You have mentioned a few cars which sounded interesting, do you have any pics of the camaro or the honda??
good luck with it mate

JUDGENINJA
Thursday 8th April 2010, 20:37
THIS CAR IS BRILLIANT...!!! only just read this and god what a polarised view some people have these days....

Noticed someone mentioned that polishing a 15yrs old car is a waste of time.... I quite AGREE.. I think I may have washed my V40 about twice since I've had it. The 850 is about the same..

I can't think of anything worse than wasting my weekends polishing an everyday car to perfection just to drive it to get it dirty again.

I suppose each to their own.. Polishers, Polish.... Modders, Modify and now we have a Ratter in our community to give us a new perspective....

(and no I wouldn't do this to my car either)

.....thank you for doing something different....!!!

Crazy_C
Thursday 8th April 2010, 20:59
THIS CAR IS BRILLIANT...!!! .....thank you for doing something different....!!!

Well if you thought it was different in those pics, check out these pics from my hard work today!! Bet there's never been an 850 like this before! lol

I'll let the pics do the talking :D Matt black, body kit, and I've even painted the rear windows :lol: Smoked the headlights, side repeaters and tail lights too, giving it a real nice mean evil look I think :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0273.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0277.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0286.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0285.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0276.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0281.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0280.jpg

p fandango
Thursday 8th April 2010, 21:05
i do like it, looks like matt brown tho lol. Needs an odd wheel, 1 nice silver alloy

t5 pete
Thursday 8th April 2010, 21:09
lol looks good where did you get the rear bumper and side skirts from and loving the ovlov badge

Crazy_C
Thursday 8th April 2010, 21:10
Cheers dude :D

Have to forgive the photos, taken on my cell phone.

And I have a full set of Columbas, just don't want them on there, like the look of the dark steelies :D Will probably see about getting them banded 2 or 3 inches for some added meanness :D

Oh, btw, the camber and lowering on the rear isn't lowering springs, just the sub woofers and the boxes weigh that much!!! LOL

Crazy_C
Thursday 8th April 2010, 21:11
lol looks good where did you get the rear bumper from and loving the ovlov badge

The rear bumper I got from a mate of mine for free (swwweeeettttt!!!) It's an Erebuni kit, just goes on over the stock bumper, sits flush with the rub strip. Same for the side skirts, they're the Erebuni kit also.

And cheers, a friend of mine called it "ovlov" the day I bought her and I said I'd make the badge, and now I have :D Love how it stands out :D

p fandango
Thursday 8th April 2010, 21:12
And I have a full set of Columbas, just don't want them on there, like the look of the dark steelies :D Will probably see about getting them banded 2 or 3 inches for some added meanness :D
i'd just put the one on the drivers side front

Crazy_C
Thursday 8th April 2010, 21:22
To be honest, I either like REALLY blingy alloys like I had on my Kangoo, or I like deep dark steelies, never liked the Columbas at all, and glad to have them off there. They'll only go back on when the steelies get sent off to get banded.

Would probably look good on there though, against the matt black, but just not a fan of them myself.

cragmaz
Thursday 8th April 2010, 21:30
well i am probably gunna have to eat humble pie and say that in a way i am liking this project the more it continues and the more i see it! wish i had the bottle to do some mods on mine, but i have that much money sank in it i cant.
Suppose, if you ant got much in the car to start with, then its no sweat, and good fun!

the best thing tho, would be to have it packing around 300 brake, now that would be a laugh!!!!

oh and as for the comments about polishin a 15 yr old car, well, thats just a personal thing, i for one, like to try and have my car looking nice, no matter how old it is, my brother has a 1967 MGB roadster, and try telling him its a waste, he polishes the nuts off that, cos he wants to, each to their own eh

craig.

t5 pete
Thursday 8th April 2010, 21:41
you could lower the front bumper at the corners to make them look like they have come off the holders im trying to get a pic

t5 pete
Thursday 8th April 2010, 21:44
also you front number place needs to be on a slant

cragmaz
Thursday 8th April 2010, 21:52
How about a nice fat downward pointing tailpipe to fill that big opening, reckon that would look cool!

C.

kevin4878
Thursday 8th April 2010, 22:13
Im starting to get the look, kinda growing on me, not something i would do, but i AM now appriciating the effort and attention to detail, saying this, think it would be a little cooler with some matt black headlight brow thingies!, just a thought, i know its your own thing. Good luck with the project, 1 more thing, i want that unicycle!!!! always wanted one!

Flatout Phil
Thursday 8th April 2010, 23:50
Some cheap and blingy 17" alloys on the Bay £150 - says Volvo but would check the offset.
I think it just looks so CRAZY really - I actually like it. It's that Mad Max Interceptor thing coming through. Needs a Whelan lightbar or something...

Oh and PLEASE get a fat chromy tailpipe! Like thisL http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-S40-S60-S80-V40-V70-V50-EXHAUST-TRIM-TAIL-PIPE_W0QQitemZ250608484696QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a596e0158

Crazy_C
Friday 9th April 2010, 00:42
Cragmaz, glad you're liking it, it really has come along a lot more recently, rather than just being a normal 850 on steels with a rusty hood, but with the matt black, really makes things work better I think :)

Oh, and I am wanting to get about 300 - 350 hp ;) heheheeeee

Pete, I thought about dropping the plate on one side, but I like it just straight like that, fits better with it all being matt black, cos it's not a rat ride like a barn find style, but more a murdered out style.

Kevin, I've actually painted the headlamps with a light dusting of matt black, same on the tail lights, give it a nice dark touch :D And yea, the unicycle always gets great looks!! I quite often ride it around at shows just for a laugh lol

Phil, I'm getting a chrome tip exhaust put on on Tuesday at Incarsolutions in Crayford (the sticker in the window for them :D ) and it's a nice oval one and it fits in there spot on :D

As for wheels, I'm wanting to band these steelies by 2 or 3 inches to get them really filling the arches, reckon that'd look seriously sick!!

Cheers for all the comments guys :D

p fandango
Friday 9th April 2010, 07:16
i think the barn-find style would go a treat now, the number plate wonky like Pete said & 1 (just 1) alloy wheel on it

stephenevans99
Friday 9th April 2010, 08:57
What about cutting out a few of the chromed strips in the grill - to give it the 'toothless' look.

JelT5
Friday 9th April 2010, 09:38
Well if you thought it was different in those pics, check out these pics from my hard work today!! Bet there's never been an 850 like this before! lol

I'll let the pics do the talking :D Matt black, body kit, and I've even painted the rear windows :lol: Smoked the headlights, side repeaters and tail lights too, giving it a real nice mean evil look I think :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0273.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0277.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0286.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0285.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0276.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0281.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0280.jpg

Only just spotted this thread...love it matey!
I've always liked the Rat look! It's good and your slightly different approach of not making it stupidly quick is pretty cool too.

Have to admit it's made me consider doing something similar with my V70, after all, I only paid just over a grand for it and it is a Volvo.
Before anyone gets upset, I love T5s, Rs etc but lets be realistic, they're not worth loads of dosh so why not Rat them instead of spending years of your life polishing and cleaning- I do fall into the latter category, sad barsteward that I am. So this is a refreshing, new approach.

Keep up the good work :D

Happygilmore78
Friday 9th April 2010, 09:46
Haha, i have no idea why, but i like it - all it needs now is to be dropped looowwwwwww!!

Crazy_C
Friday 9th April 2010, 10:17
I'm loving how that now it's all matt black more people are loving it :D I'm really glad y'all liking it.

I has thinking about sticking it on hydraulics, but that's more money than the car's worth really. I can't have it really low cos of my bad back, but I wish I could!

Cheers for the comments guys :D

Yosser
Friday 9th April 2010, 10:29
Only one thing better than matt black - camo!

Get yourself some Nato IRR green and you're off :)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Military-Vehicle-Paint---Satin-Nato-Green-2.5-Ltr_W0QQitemZ320430360266QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=52fd0d8f1240a0aad0d25972fee36ebd

Crazy_C
Friday 9th April 2010, 10:37
Been there and done that one already man. I used to roll in a 1982 ex-MOD mk2 Ford Transit, with a supercharged 3.5 litre V8 in it, was the olive green to start with and then did some matt black on it too for camo and then band logos and various profanities written in bright red on there :D

Never had a matt black car before, so thought I'd try that, and I'm loving it :D

SKIDMARKS
Friday 9th April 2010, 12:15
Fair play. At least you don't have to worry when you go to a carpark about idiots who can't seem to open their door without hitting you!

You ain't ever gonna get anyone else wanna park anywhere near it. :eek:

JUDGENINJA
Friday 9th April 2010, 13:44
......oh and as for the comments about polishin a 15 yr old car, well, thats just a personal thing, i for one, like to try and have my car looking nice, no matter how old it is, my brother has a 1967 MGB roadster, and try telling him its a waste, he polishes the nuts off that, cos he wants to, each to their own eh

craig.

...as I said Polishers... Polish... I certainly appreciate the work that is put in, but I will never understand the length in which people go to unless it was a show car and my car will never be...
.mmmmmm....now I get to thinking... I might polish my car at the weekend now.....:dgrin:

cragmaz
Friday 9th April 2010, 22:00
...as I said Polishers... Polish... I certainly appreciate the work that is put in, but I will never understand the length in which people go to unless it was a show car and my car will never be...
.mmmmmm....now I get to thinking... I might polish my car at the weekend now.....:dgrin:

Lmao!, sarcastic git!!!!!! Lol

C.

Flatout Phil
Saturday 10th April 2010, 09:14
Knew a bloke who did the dirty on his girlfriend - he had a higly cherished Opel Manta - and she took to it with a ball-pein hammer - several thousand times. Ouch!
Might look interesting though :crazy:

james
Saturday 10th April 2010, 19:52
the rat look to me is 'pants'

i saw a k reg astra matt blak in my town with orange lights on the roof like a wagon and chequred stripes down the side LOL OMG

cars are meant to gleam not look unroadworthy

i like the old american rat hot rods but doin down recent cars is wrong in my eyes

i feel sorry for your t5

kiss my shiny paintwork :)

(no offence intended just my opinion)

Rhys
Sunday 18th April 2010, 12:17
Started reading this thread and thought "Oh dear.." but it has transformed into something quite nice. Mat black looks nice - think it should be in a horror film driving around at night with no one in it, mowing people down etc. lol Like the old cult film with Neil Morrisey and his motorbike which went out feeding on people.

Needs a big hole in the exhaust lol (though I doubt that would be legal).

Keep up the work and wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your others cars you've had.

thesoundcriminal
Sunday 18th April 2010, 12:29
I was thinking of doing the same with mine but I have got some sticky back plastic from lidles for a £1 a roll I need about 20 rolls to do the car in wood effect

Crazy_C
Sunday 18th April 2010, 22:00
LOL at James with the comment of "kiss my shiny paintwork" LMAO!!

No offence is taken at all, it's not to everyone's tastes, it's not meant to be. It's a bit of fun and a laugh that I'm having and it's getting huge amounts of attention, and since I've started ratting it, 2 other people I know have bought Volvos to rat out (one has a 940 wagon and the other has a 480).

There's one guy in the rat look club from Sweden with a V70 they've ratted out and it's immense, like full body rust and everything. But I wouldn't wanna drive that thing around, no door panels or anything, must be freezing cold to drive!!!

Gramyer, I wish I had photos of some of my older cars, but quite a few photos were on my old cell phone, which got soaked when I went kayaking in the Pacific. Other photos were on an old laptop which got stolen. And the others were on my current laptop which got a virus on it and lost all the information on it (and shortly after it deleted 2 years worth of uni work, it got a broken screen lol)

TSC, that sounds funky, wood love to see that ;) (see what I did there lol)

I played about today too and put some more speakers in the Volvrat. The ones in the rear doors were directing sound to my ass cheeks so couldn't hear anything so I've taken them out, and I took out the ****ty stock 1" tweeters in the rear pillar, and then ghetto mounted a pair of 6x9s on each sub box :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0309.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0310.jpg

They're going to be covered, not just left free air, so any audio boffins out there, don't worry! LOL

Flatout Phil
Monday 19th April 2010, 07:35
I was thinking of doing the same with mine but I have got some sticky back plastic from lidles for a £1 a roll I need about 20 rolls to do the car in wood effect

At B&Q you can get shiny chrome or better still, smartie sticky back plastic!

Crazy_C
Monday 19th April 2010, 09:53
Yea, there's a few ratted Corsas with the hood covered in the smartie sticky back plastic cos they don't wanna rust their hood (it's a lot of effort, believe me!!)

Flatout Phil
Monday 19th April 2010, 12:35
Yea, there's a few ratted Corsas with the hood covered in the smartie sticky back plastic cos they don't wanna rust their hood (it's a lot of effort, believe me!!)

You need one of these on each side: http://www.yourbadges.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=34&products_id=284

I should also add that vauxhalls have a habit of assuming the rat look after about five years anyway - rustbuckets that they are...:lol:

Murphy
Monday 19th April 2010, 14:28
I like what you are doing, and it does make things interesting for the community. I personally would add a rat look roof rack - and save for some 15" bbs 8"+ wide.

Inspirational images:

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm254/Saamuell/RustyAudi004.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3318/3428615277_082ce5a4f6_o.jpg

Tomcat
Monday 19th April 2010, 14:46
In that last pic of the Gold, how the hell has he managed to get plastic wing mirrors to rust?,lol, or are we now into the realms of rust look paint?.

volvokid
Monday 19th April 2010, 15:16
In that last pic of the Gold, how the hell has he managed to get plastic wing mirrors to rust?,lol, or are we now into the realms of rust look paint?.

Exactly what I was thinking its the same with the plastic pannel under the grill

p fandango
Monday 19th April 2010, 15:23
probably airbrushing, i've seen one on VZi who bought a comlpetely mint VeeDub camper which was too bad to sand & let rust so painted it to look rusty. A bit like Delboy's Robin, a GRP shell with rust on it

Crazy_C
Monday 19th April 2010, 22:49
The trim panel under the grille I believe has a strip of steel going along it which was rusted.

And they're cool, but I thought this was better than an Audi and a VeeDub ;)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/oen100/gulalampor1.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/oen100/maxsankt1.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/oen100/maxsankt2.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/oen100/inredning1.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d194/oen100/inredning2.jpg

Flatout Phil
Thursday 29th April 2010, 16:43
And then there is this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVfDqi-sm0&feature=related

p fandango
Thursday 29th April 2010, 17:30
And then there is this...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WVfDqi-sm0&feature=related
i'm not convinced thats a deliberate rat look, i think its just the VW effect lol. The whole side split away from the sill because of the rust

Crazy_C
Thursday 29th April 2010, 21:39
Yea, that's why VWs are loved for the rat look. You don't need to make them rust LOL

Oh, and a bit of an update -

Absolutely loving the new subs I have in there, they're absolutely killer!! For a pair of 10" subs, the way I've set up the boxes and the ports and everything, it's absolutely spot on, if I do say so myself.

And I've found that it can do this to my roof :D heheheee

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at2rRuC2UpI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42ED8NFYLxQ

Crazy_C
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 13:30
Well the 6x9s are now enclosed, and I've kept it rat (of course) but it works too, so woop woop!!

The chicken wire frame
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs501.ash1/29682_398221129080_504404080_3956469_3341743_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs521.snc3/29682_398221174080_504404080_3956471_1358445_n.jpg

The duct tape around the frame, enclosing them nicely :D
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs501.ash1/29682_398221209080_504404080_3956472_7975865_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs521.snc3/29682_398221239080_504404080_3956473_7395415_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs501.ash1/29682_398221284080_504404080_3956475_3829352_n.jpg

sen
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 13:33
Ha ha ha quality :crazy:

Haizum74
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 13:42
Only just spotted this thread...love it matey!
I've always liked the Rat look! It's good and your slightly different approach of not making it stupidly quick is pretty cool too.

Have to admit it's made me consider doing something similar with my V70, after all, I only paid just over a grand for it and it is a Volvo.
Before anyone gets upset, I love T5s, Rs etc but lets be realistic, they're not worth loads of dosh so why not Rat them instead of spending years of your life polishing and cleaning- I do fall into the latter category, sad barsteward that I am. So this is a refreshing, new approach.

Keep up the good work :D

lol, only just noticed the reversed volvo badge. Made me chuckle lots. And you could always hire it out if they do another Mad Max film heh heh http://www.classictravelling.com/tv/

Crazy_C
Sunday 2nd May 2010, 20:48
Cheers Sen. And Haizum, yea, always makes me smile when I see that badge :D Glad you liked it too :)

Heh, yea, I think it'd look immense in a Mad Max film, getting a new roof rack on there too, well, seeing on how the bidding goes on eBay :)

Crazy_C
Sunday 9th May 2010, 16:09
Okay, this must be the biggest roof rack on a Volvo...............EVER!!!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs329.snc3/29067_400463879080_504404080_4002714_8277489_n.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs329.snc3/29067_400464119080_504404080_4002716_1874327_n.jpg

danny-R
Sunday 9th May 2010, 16:22
Lmao.... Keep up the good work

Just noticed the wonky numberplate, awesome.

p fandango
Sunday 9th May 2010, 16:29
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs329.snc3/29067_400463879080_504404080_4002714_8277489_n.jpg
complete with rat-look Berlingo behind you lol

Crazy_C
Sunday 9th May 2010, 16:37
Cheers mate :D Need to get it mounted on there properly, rather than just strapped on there LOL

And yea, thought it added a good touch. The rear one is slightly wonky too, though that was actually accidental.

Getting cambelt, water pump and oil all changed on Tuesday too so that'll be good to get done, bit of peace of mind y'know :)

Crazy_C
Sunday 9th May 2010, 16:39
complete with rat-look Berlingo behind you lol

That's a Kangoo, and it's my other car :D Unfortunately, that one was not meant to look rat :( That's after replacing the panels after an 18 wheeler cut me up and ran down the side of me :(

JelT5
Sunday 9th May 2010, 18:43
Awesome mate! I love it :D

OVLOV rof efil!!!

That roof rack is just astonishing!

Crazy_C
Sunday 9th May 2010, 19:21
Hahaaa, cheers dude. Yea, it is a bit on the large size ain't it? But least I know I'll never be short of luggage space lol

I'm going to get a window sticker made up that says "this car has a bigger rack than Jordan"

t5 pete
Sunday 9th May 2010, 19:28
Hahaaa, cheers dude. Yea, it is a bit on the large size ain't it? But least I know I'll never be short of luggage space lol

I'm going to get a window sticker made up that says "this car has a bigger rack than Jordan"

Lmao youve got to get that sticker made up, keep the good work up

JelT5
Sunday 9th May 2010, 19:42

You must be planning on some mighty long journeys then if you need to take that much luggage lol

Jordan and her rack hahahaha
Good one re the sticker

sebasteeno
Sunday 9th May 2010, 19:43
Got to admit this car is growing on me. :smile:

Crazy_C
Sunday 9th May 2010, 20:10
You must be planning on some mighty long journeys then if you need to take that much luggage lol

Jordan and her rack hahahaha
Good one re the sticker

I dunno, how much booze n fags do you want me to bring back from France?? ;) LOL

Yea, gonna talk to my mates tomorrow who have a vinyl cutter to do me that sticker, hopefully they have some vinyl in to do it :D

Crazy_C
Sunday 9th May 2010, 20:11
Got to admit this car is growing on me. :smile:

Heh, I'm glad :D

Crazy_C
Friday 14th May 2010, 02:33
Okay, so after much work (thanks to my mate Mark at Incarsolutions in Crayford, Kent) the roof rack is now fully fitted and mounted. Tested it by climbing up onto it, and it is solid as anything!!

I am going to put some wooden slats down to panel the rear half, and put various stuff on the rack. I already have the spare wheel, and an old jerry can with spare fuel in it, and going to put some more stuff on there too :D Really loving how this thing is coming along :D

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs550.snc3/30117_401917224080_504404080_4035536_517884_n.jpg

Plodmonkey
Friday 14th May 2010, 08:23
its grown on me like its different

Crazy_C
Friday 14th May 2010, 21:03
Cheers dude. Might grow on you a bit more when you see how the roof rack is looking now I've panelled it :D

Been a busy day, but I have made huge progress!! The roof rack now has slats screwed down onto the frame, 100x25 end profile, 1.5m long (which goes to show just how frikkin big the roof rack is!! LOL). And I tell ya, screwing those things down onto a steel frame, tapping the screws into the steel is. Arm is aching like mad!!!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-sjc1/hs639.snc3/32067_402194109080_504404080_4039880_2925319_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs639.snc3/32067_402193949080_504404080_4039878_6340697_n.jpg

Crazy_C
Sunday 23rd May 2010, 23:17
Just some newer pics :) Got to work a bit early yesterday so thought I'd take some shots on my cell phone :)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0469.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0464.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0463.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0468.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0467.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0466.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0465.jpg

And a very sweet macro shot of the famous badge :D

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/P5232000.jpg

Plodmonkey
Monday 24th May 2010, 00:18
ha love the wonky number plate

Crazy_C
Monday 24th May 2010, 01:06
Cheers :D

The front one is wonky deliberately, rear one is just wonky by accident lol Had to mount them in 5 minutes for the MOT cos the old ones were badly broken n would fail, so the holes on the rear one aren't level lol

Crazy_C
Monday 31st May 2010, 02:16
After being at Mod Nats and seeing a Volvo 850 with a killer sound system (had 100 speakers in it) I have decided it's time for me to up my game and improve on my sound system. So I now have a *couple* more speakers to go into the car. Okay, so I have 10 more speakers to go in the car. 6 in the front doors and 4 in the rear doors. I will also be looking to get some new amps and subs, and rebuilding the entire trunk audio set up.

Boredom is a dangerous thing when I'm involved!!

So, over the next little while or so, I'll be working on the install. The install will eventually, over a bit of time, be as follows:

Dash:
2x 4" Infinity Reference 2 way
2x 5.25" JBL GTO 2 way

Front doors:
6x 6.5" JBL GTO 3 way

Rear doors:
4x 6.5" JBL GTO 3 way

Trunk:
4x 15" JBL GT5 subs
4x 6.5" Infinity Reference 2 way
4x 6"x9" Infinity Reference 3 way

Amps:
JBL GTO 14001E - powering the subs
JBL GTO 1004E - powering the speakers in front and rear doors
JBL GTO 1004E - powering the speakers in the trunk
JBL GTO 752E - powering the speakers in the dash

I need to get the subs, and amps, but I have everything else. I currently have 3x Vibe Blackbox amps I'm running the system on, but they will be getting replaced with the JBL ones, same as the Kicker subs going bye byes.

By the way, if you hadn't realized, I'm looking to try and get an arrangement with JBL to have my rat wagon as a demo car for their audio stuff, showing you don't have to be loaded to have a killer sound system. If not JBL themselves, at least for a car audio store. Had some talks with them today, and been provided with the 10 new JBL speakers to show what I can do with that and take it from there. Hopefully will get a good deal with them, which will help with the cost of doing all this, as I have about £800 worth of gear left to get!!!!! Should be good though :D

Flatout Phil
Monday 31st May 2010, 03:20
Just some newer pics :) Got to work a bit early yesterday so thought I'd take some shots on my cell phone :)

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/IMAG0469.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a148/bkcr1/P5232000.jpg

So you work at Bluewater? PM me where and next time my wife drags me to the hell that is that place, I will see if I can find you!

Crazy_C
Monday 31st May 2010, 09:02
Yhpm :)

Crazy_C
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 00:20
Woop woop!! I've managed to get myself a bit of a deal with JBL audio, so I'm going to be running a load of their gear in my rat wagon :D

I have got a load of their 3 way coaxial speakers and I've been playing around today and now my door cards look like this :D

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs325.ash1/28417_407662704080_504404080_4178086_4122940_n.jpg

So that is now 10 speakers in the front of the car, going to install a similar panel in the rear doors with 2 of the same speakers in each door. And then I will be changing the install in the trunk so I will be running four 15" JBL subs :D

Turkish
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 10:20
This sound system is going to immense, look forward to seeing the install.

Crazy_C
Wednesday 2nd June 2010, 20:28
Oh yea, it's pretty damn loud at the moment, can't wait to get the rest of the gear in there and get the new subs :D

Crazy_C
Friday 11th June 2010, 23:45
Heheee, I just bought a new toy for my car. Possibly not the smartest buy, but I just really fancied it :)

Any guesses??

Nope?

I got this as a new hood mascot :D

http://i.ebayimg.com/24/!BvDkhs!B2k~$(KGrHqJ,!hQEv1+0B,tpBMC-p-so0Q~~_12.JPG

Just gotta work out how to mount the f**king thing now! LMAO!!

p fandango
Friday 11th June 2010, 23:48
i'd be very carefull with that, putting that onto your bonnet could end up with bother from the MOT inspector/Police/VOSA for dangerous/sharp bodywork

Crazy_C
Friday 11th June 2010, 23:53
It'll only be on there for shows. So probably gonna see about installing a magnet or something inside the skull for mounting it on the hood when I'm at shows :) Rest of the time, it'll sit in my room :)

p fandango
Friday 11th June 2010, 23:56
It'll only be on there for shows. So probably gonna see about installing a magnet or something inside the skull for mounting it on the hood when I'm at shows :) Rest of the time, it'll sit in my room :)
thats ok then, didn't want you drilling the bonnet for Mr PC to tell you to take it off

Crazy_C
Saturday 12th June 2010, 07:50
Yea, think I get enough attention as it is :rolleyes: lol

sebasteeno
Saturday 12th June 2010, 09:21
Showed our kid this thread last night and he's loving your Ovlov Crazy_C.

Crazy_C
Saturday 12th June 2010, 12:59
Cheers man :D

Your kid wanting you to do this to your V70? ;) lol

p fandango
Saturday 12th June 2010, 15:50
So that is now 10 speakers in the front of the car, going to install a similar panel in the rear doors with 2 of the same speakers in each door. And then I will be changing the install in the trunk so I will be running four 15" JBL subs :D
i used to run 3 x 15"s in BT, what amp you using to run them?

http://img265.imageshack.us/img265/1381/nys15.jpg

Crazy_C
Saturday 12th June 2010, 18:43
Nice set up there, the boxes look rather small though or did they literally take up your entire trunk space?

I'll probably see about running the subs off a JBL 1400.1 amp, and then a JBL 1004E amp for the speakers.

Looks like the plan may change though, cos I was looking to run 4x 15" GTO series JBL subs, but will probably run 4x 12" Power series JBL subs now, which despite being smaller, are hella lot more powerful!

p fandango
Saturday 12th June 2010, 19:01
Nice set up there, the boxes look rather small though or did they literally take up your entire trunk space?
the boxes were originally made for the QXF (Maystar) subs but as i like sticking with one manufacture thoughout changed them for Vibes, the Maystars did sound better tho. They were very deep

I'll probably see about running the subs off a JBL 1400.1 amp, and then a JBL 1004E amp for the speakers.
couldn't find any specs for the amps, but assume its 1400watt (RMS?) Mono channel. What ohmage is it stable to?

Looks like the plan may change though, cos I was looking to run 4x 15" GTO series JBL subs, but will probably run 4x 12" Power series JBL subs now, which despite being smaller, are hella lot more powerful!
i do like 12"s myself (the S60's going get 2 eventually), had a lovely Kenwood install with 2 x 12"s but ran too much power & split both cones lol

http://serv7.enterupload.com/d2/i/00251/uvqvmynuq9cl.jpg

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2928/nys24.jpg

Crazy_C
Saturday 12th June 2010, 19:25
The amp is actually 1500W RMS at 2ohm, or 1200W RMS at 4ohm. It is just 2ohm stable, not 1ohm, but that doesn't bother me. It's a bloody good amp actually!!

The amp is also known as the 14001E amp, but most people call it the 1400.1 so may be why you can't find spec on it.

That is a very nice install you got there. I'll be running the subs in maxiumum size ported boxes, for maximum SPL :D More fun that way ;) hehe

p fandango
Saturday 12th June 2010, 23:26
working in carpentry for so long i got bored with the same install very easily, so it got ripped out & started again. Thanks for the comments

i could never get on with ported boxs, was never happy with the sound so always stuck to sealed

even running 4ohm should be good enough

Crazy_C
Sunday 13th June 2010, 00:06
Ahhh, fair enough then, being in carpentry. Know the feeling about being bored with looking at stuff anyways, let alone with that aspect of things too lol

Yea, gonna run dual 2ohm subs, more practical for transferring to other applications where 4 of them might not fit.

Plus, I think running them at 1200W will be loud enough with those subs, though I may decide to only run 3 of them, and have them running at 1.3ohms (provided the amp will cope) and have them seeing more power each :)

Cos what I am thinking about doing, is running 3 subs, having the middle one higher up than the other two, have my fire extinguisher on the bottom in the middle, and then have some 6x9s above the subs on the sides, to give some nice sound coming out the tail gate :)

Will see what happens :)

Crazy_C
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 21:18
I got a parcel arrive for me today :D

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs617.snc3/32447_411845694080_504404080_4300311_5332653_n.jpg

ANDY B
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 21:46
poor sheep:crazy: that's what happens when you send them in the mail

Crazy_C
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 21:51
Yea, I ordered a home made lamp chop kit a month ago, only arrived today, bloody Royal Mail :lol:

ANDY B
Tuesday 15th June 2010, 22:17
he he

looks good.

fix it on with some big rusty nails and barbed wire:cool:

Crazy_C
Friday 18th June 2010, 11:09
Hahaa, not a bad idea, might use some rusty bolts or something like that to hold it down :)

And update time!! Car is back now, after the garage ballsed things up, and she's looking awesome :D

The new metal panelled rear "window" :D

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs089.snc4/35824_412573254080_504404080_4319022_6044184_n.jpg

And of course, the rat rack hammock :D :D WOOOOOOPP!!!!

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs109.snc4/35824_412573169080_504404080_4319021_2109036_n.jpg

JelT5
Friday 18th June 2010, 11:29
Brilliant! All of it- just genius; I love it :D

850 2.5 10v
Friday 18th June 2010, 12:09
Looks like a modern interpretation of a mad max baddie car.

I like it.

You guys really seem to know your stuff on sound systems, installs etc.. great skills all over this forum.

dazat5
Friday 18th June 2010, 12:45
lol what? gotta admit, it does look kinda hmmmm rustic?

Crazy_C
Friday 18th June 2010, 15:21
Brilliant! All of it- just genius; I love it :D

Cheers dude :D Still got more to go on it too. Gonna do about a 4" suspension lift using spacers on the top of the struts and stick chunky all terrain tyres on it

Looks like a modern interpretation of a mad max baddie car.

I like it.

Cheers again mate :D Yea, it's being done as a sorta post apocalyptic rat wagon. So all matt black for stealth. The rusty hood as if it's had an engine fire :) Roof rack for supplies and hammock for camping at night quickly :D

lol what? gotta admit, it does look kinda hmmmm rustic?

Hehee, yea, I get the "WHAT?" reaction quite a bit shockingly enough LOL Great fun though :D