PDA

View Full Version : Steering Vibration

claymore
Monday 29th March 2010, 14:17
One day last week the steering wheel started to wobble as if one of the front wheels was about to fall off, so I pulled over into a driveway and checked all the wheel bolts (all tight) when i drove away all was fine and has been for a couple of hundred miles. Now today it did it again, i puled over had a look but couldn't find anything wrong, so I drove off and it was still the same, so pulled over again, reversed back a bit then drove off and all ok again, my suspicion would be the cv joint, any thoughts?

Flatout Phil
Monday 29th March 2010, 14:52
I hate this sort of problem!!! I have had a lot of CV issues with non-Volvo but nothing that did that - although the reversing cure is intriguing. What sort of state are your lower arm bushes in - from my recent posts you will see that even a recent rebushing can give steering issues. Is there some wear causing a resonance inside one of the wheel bearings?
Bushing springs to mind with the wobble - something coming loose in the steering structure. Could be a bearing but causing a wobble - well, I suppose it might?

nobananas
Monday 29th March 2010, 19:10
Check the condition of your front balljoints. They can 'pop' out of their seat and cause a lot of play resulting in wheel wobble when driving but then when you jack up the vehicle to check it over they re-seat and don't always appear obviously worn. I have also had severe vibration caused when a front caliper seized up but the vibration only happened when I hit a certain speed (assumably the friction caused enough heat to eventually try to lock up the brake) although you would notice the brake on that side heating up. The inner TCA bushes could also be a suspect as could a duff track rod end.

claymore
Monday 29th March 2010, 19:13
update: cv joint is clicking on full lock, so i think it must be locking up ocasionally, I'll change it on the weekend.
when it does it, it feels like a puncture or loose wheel,

Eraserhead
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 14:55
I had a similar thing on 1997 v70 R awd,voilent steering wobble but not always,specially on long runs (more than 10 miles),Mine was the brake caliper seized on, heating the disc up so it wapred,then i stopped it cooled down and all was well,after the car had parked a while the piston in the caliper had retreated a bit,untill the brake pedal was pressed,then stuck on again,I had new calipers, discs and pads on the front ,car is now perfect,good luck,

claymore
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 15:47
Cheers peeps, had a look under the car, and the cv boot is ripped to shreds (only been on since december) the cv joint is clonking like mad now so I'll replace it tomorrow.:)

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 16:37
Cheers peeps, had a look under the car, and the cv boot is ripped to shreds (only been on since december) the cv joint is clonking like mad now so I'll replace it tomorrow.:)

Wasn't a Scantech one was it?

claymore
Tuesday 30th March 2010, 19:14
Wasn't a Scantech one was it?
na, cheap ebay crap, but you would expect it to last more than three months