PDA

View Full Version : ITG filter

ripper
Friday 24th June 2005, 12:24
Whilst sat at home not working becasue rain has stopped play, i have been reading all the threads about performance filters and cone filters. Which has made me decide to pay Volvotuning a visit this afternoon and purchase said ITG panel filter.

I know it may not improve bhp greatly, but i suspect it will give a better induction noise and help dramatically with the engine being able to breathe better than with the standard filter; along with my drilled air box that is!

Bison
Friday 24th June 2005, 14:47
I know it may not improve bhp greatly, but i suspect it will give a better induction noise and help dramatically with the engine being able to breathe better than with the standard filter; along with my drilled air box that is!

If you do get more induction noise let me know, also tell me if you get that "chatter noise" which I am after. Just don't know if the ITG will provide the noise I want.

I eagerly await your response!!

Bison

Andy
Friday 24th June 2005, 14:52
If you do get more induction noise let me know, also tell me if you get that "chatter noise" which I am after. Just don't know if the ITG will provide the noise I want.

Bison

From experience my car makes alot more roar with an ITG panel filter fitted and i can hear the recirc valve which i couldn't prior to putting the filter in.

Saying that, when i did put the filter in i drilled a few holes in the bottom of the air box which im sure is the main instigator for the roar and recirc noise.

Hope that helps a little

Andy

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 24th June 2005, 14:59
My air box aint drilled and i have the roar lol, and yea you can hear the tssss from the turbo as well.

ripper
Friday 24th June 2005, 15:02
Have fitted ITG filter and been out and given my car a bit of a run, i have noticed i now get a slightly more induction noise but what i can now hear more clearly is the re-circ which is definitely more prominent, as for chatter i can't say i've heard anything.

I'd like to say thanks to hamish at VT, his knowledge on volvo's is foremost, it's nice to meet someone who has a real passion for working on these vehicles.

By the way hamish, i hope your workmate who had the curried makrel for his dinner doesn't release too many noxious gasses when it works it's way through!!! :sick:

elliot
Friday 24th June 2005, 15:56

Bison

Are you sure your not hearing compressor stall??The wastegate on a t5 wont chatter unless its broke

volvotuning
Friday 24th June 2005, 16:16
Elliott is right. If you hear wastegate chatter, chances are that the dump valve diaphragm is split which means your wastegate is not working right and leaking boost.

Adam.

Goof
Friday 24th June 2005, 18:29
My air box aint drilled and i have the roar lol, and yea you can hear the tssss from the turbo as well.
Same here.
Buy a performance air filter, "test" it for a few weeks, then decide if you really need to drill holes...

Bison
Friday 24th June 2005, 18:59
Elliott is right. If you hear wastegate chatter, chances are that the dump valve diaphragm is split which means your wastegate is not working right and leaking boost.

If you watch the Vid of the 650bhp Volvo in that vid I posted in the Vid section of this site, you will here it gives off mental chatter!

How can I get this on my vehicle? I had it on my Sierra Cosworth, I had it on my Nissan 200 SX, I had it on my Isuzu Piazza Turbo. All I did was get a cone filter. None of these cars had a re-circ valve though, why does the Volvo have one, and most turbo cars don't?

Bison

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 24th June 2005, 19:17
My Cozzy had a K n N Induction Cone filter on it and gave the chirrupp on gearchange, is that the noise u want, i lost count of non car people asking what all the noises were lol, sucking on accelerating, chirrup-tsssshhhh on gear change etc....

Justin
Friday 24th June 2005, 19:27
Chatter is "NORMALLY" caused by the impeller blades being stalled, ie, blanked off recirc and no dumpvalve, or split recirc. It seriously reduces the life of the turbo.

Not_Gwaredd
Friday 24th June 2005, 19:33
I'm aware that you can get adjustable dump valves that 'bounce' open and shut making that chatter noise with no ill side effects. Not for me tho, a bit too :riceboy: for my liking.

Gwaredd.

Bison
Friday 24th June 2005, 19:41
Chatter is "NORMALLY" caused by the impeller blades being stalled, ie, blanked off recirc and no dumpvalve, or split recirc. It seriously reduces the life of the turbo.

You say it is "normally" caused by the impeller blades being stalled, Do you know what causes this Chatter when a cone/induction kit is fitted on cars such as the Sierra Coz and Nissan 200SX, neither of which have recirc or dumpvalves as standard?
And further more, How can I get this noise on my car without causing problems?
Bison

meffs
Friday 24th June 2005, 19:52
How much is VT doing the ITG filters for?

ripper
Friday 24th June 2005, 19:58
The ITG filter cost me £45.00 (73 euros), i think that was discounted due to being a member of this website.

Best thing you could do is phone VT and ask about shipping costs though!
0044 1527 577710

volvotuning
Friday 24th June 2005, 20:23
None of these cars had a re-circ valve though, why does the Volvo have one, and most turbo cars don't?

Bison

Most turbo cars DO have a recirc valve. All the VAG cars, Porsche, Volvo, SAAB, etc all have recirc valves. It's mainly the old crap or chav'ed up stuff that doesn't, or occasionally some race car for which there is no recirc valve.

Adam.

meffs
Friday 24th June 2005, 20:34
The ITG filter cost me £45.00 (73 euros), i think that was discounted due to being a member of this website.

0044 1527 577710
Cheers Ripper, will give em a bell, but will probably pick one when I'm over, just bought a K&N for the old dear, will be nice to compare them.

ripper
Friday 24th June 2005, 21:06
Not a problem Meffs.

The one thing i have been told about the k&n's tho is the oil that is sprayed on them can "apparently" be drawn throught the induction system and clog the maf sensor. How true this is i don't know it's only third party information i have heard.

meffs
Friday 24th June 2005, 22:32
Not a problem Meffs.

The one thing i have been told about the k&n's tho is the oil that is sprayed on them can "apparently" be drawn throught the induction system and clog the maf sensor. How true this is i don't know it's only third party information i have heard.cheers, will keep my eye on it, off thread sort of, but how's the floods? Just seen the Beeb news showing floods in Bromsgrove, maybe some water damaged ITG filters going cheap!:jaw:

Bison
Friday 24th June 2005, 23:08
www.needforspeed.co.uk have ITG filters for the 850 T5 for £39

volvotuning
Friday 24th June 2005, 23:36
www.needforspeed.co.uk have ITG filters for the 850 T5 for £39

Yeah and if you specify the country, ie UK, it will add the VAT, making the price £45.82 inc VAT.

Adam.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 24th June 2005, 23:53
need for speed are pile of crap, plus VT have done all the development work for the T5s for these filters. they are just ripping off other people's hard work.

siamblue
Saturday 25th June 2005, 00:34
It's £48.75 inc of vat & p&p from Motorsportworld, How much are they from VT?

Wobbly Dave
Saturday 25th June 2005, 00:51

0044 1527 577710
read above

meffs
Saturday 25th June 2005, 01:02
Yeah and if you specify the country, ie UK, it will add the VAT, making the price £45.82 inc VAT.

Adam.
Not to mention postage!! :wtf: do these places get their postage costs from, reminds me of the rip-off merchants on ebay!

siamblue
Saturday 25th June 2005, 03:06
They normally add labour and packaging to the prices, Hence why it is £41 for the filter and £7 for Motorsportworld to send it,
Otherwise that would be one cheap Filter, Only problem is they are up in Scotland,

ripper
Saturday 25th June 2005, 15:44
cheers, will keep my eye on it, off thread sort of, but how's the floods? Just seen the Beeb news showing floods in Bromsgrove, maybe some water damaged ITG filters going cheap!:jaw:Gotta be honest, not seen any floods myself, but have had some serious rain and thunder storms though. One house in Bromsgrove got hit directly by lightning, has put several of them in hospital and ruined the house.

You just can't beat the weather in good old england can you!! :frown:

volvotuning
Saturday 25th June 2005, 20:34
And a tornado in Coventry!

Adam.

p fandango
Sunday 26th June 2005, 20:13
And a tornado in Coventry!
really :jaw:

volvotuning
Sunday 26th June 2005, 21:28
Didn't you see the news on Friday? Someone filmed the tornado - lasted about 2 minutes.

Adam.

TangoDeltaSierra3
Sunday 26th June 2005, 22:26
Didn't you see the news on Friday? Someone filmed the tornado - lasted about 2 minutes.

Adam.
It was probably pedro coming off the M69 lol... :B_steerin

p fandango
Sunday 26th June 2005, 22:27
no i don't watch tv much or get a paper so this is the first i've heard about i, did it say what area of cov?

p fandango
Sunday 26th June 2005, 22:29
It was probably pedro coming off the M69 lol... :B_steerin
pmsl, not guilty this time

Mrsmopp
Monday 27th June 2005, 09:47
The simple answer to how to get "chatter" is to buy Billie Whizz before we replace the turbo LOL

x