PDA

View Full Version : Suspension knocking noise V70 T5

SKIDMARKS
Wednesday 24th March 2010, 19:02
Just had it in a garage today to replace a track rod end which I knew was knackered, and thought this would cure the knocking noise from the o/s front.

Nooo it did'nt so now looking at the ball joint on the lower arm and it will be cheaper than a complete arm don't think it is a top mount as the noise seems to come from the wheel. It does seem better under breaking. Have checked all parts for tightness, brakes all good but any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

scooter
Wednesday 24th March 2010, 19:17
Arb link was the knocking noise on mine looked fine but when i took mine off there where buggered

v70torslanda
Wednesday 24th March 2010, 20:26
Your lower arm (wishbone) does not have a ball joint. The pin on the ball joint goes thru the hole in the end of the arm, the balljoint is fitted to the hub carrier.

Like this:

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d55/shedbike/various187.jpg

FWIW the previous post about the drop link is probably the most likely, then the balljoint, followed by the wishbone.

Check aroung the front bush for a dirty/waxy deposit this would indicate the hydraulic front bush has failed and the oil leaked out . . .

luv'n'stuff

John

SKIDMARKS
Thursday 25th March 2010, 09:43
Thanks for the 2 replys atm. Arb has been looked at on the hoist but looks absolutely fine as the guy has done plenty and he say ok, so still thinking ball joint. Had these before on others and seems the same dull knocking noise as if it is a loose wheel or caliper.

straight5
Thursday 25th March 2010, 13:11
When I had a knocking problem it was suspected to be the drop links but when my mate inspected it, it turned out to be the driver side strut. initially this was missed because there was no play in it vertically. Turned out it was moving slightly from side to side which Im told is not common. Was a slightly unusual one, but might be worth looking at.

thebadger
Thursday 25th March 2010, 21:50
Tada!

I may have just solved my O/S front knock (or at least tracked it down) this very evening!

Basically I went to try & fit my new front O2 sensor (couldn't get the original off) so lay under the car in a bit of a pout.

While I faffed doing hee-haw under my car, I suddenly noticed a small metal plate (O/S) on the bottom rear edge of the engine, pipes & hoses are held by it.

This plate "should" be bolted to the engine. No bolt.

I'm almost sure this will be my rattle!

v70torslanda
Thursday 25th March 2010, 22:12
Result!

Nice one, Badge.

J

thebadger
Thursday 25th March 2010, 22:44
It has been ripping the piss! I'm off to attack my mechanic shortly.

They have obviously taken the bolt off when they had the engine out!