PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Heater Matrix

Steveh24
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 17:36
My Volvo S60 has started losing coolant and a leaking Heater Matrix has been identified as the culprit, which I have been told is big bucks to replace, but while I was trying to get a price for a new one at my local motor factors they suggested using a product called K-Seal before replacing the Matrix as it might fix the leak.

Has anyone heard of this product and is it worth giving it a try.

Steveh24

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 17:39
Can't say I've heard of it but personaly I think I'd just repair the fault rather than a temporary fix, have you pm'd Rufe for a price on a heater martrix?.

princepugh
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 17:42
You'll probably get mixed feedback regarding coolant leak sealant products. I'm with Tomcat though - in the long run best fix the problem rather than risk additional problems with the cooling system.

BTW - how sure are you the matrix is knacked? Mine was leaking slightly and it turned out to be the o-rings not the matrix. Just a thought.

Markie
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 22:43
Mines been using water, can't see no leaks, did an oil change the other week, no sign of water. Do get the odd slight smell of anti freeze in car. when the controls are set to blue (cold) I reckon not to lose water, not 100% checked this though.
So I reckon might have similar problem.
Is it a rip the dash out job? Or is there any special way? Is there a test to check the matrix?
cheers
Mark

Steveh24
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 22:50
I've had a mechanic check mine out, he thought it was the Matrix just by the problems I described to him, but he confirmed it after having a good look.

Best price I can find for a new one is £80, does anyone know how long it takes to replace it.

Steveh24

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 23:00
I don't know how long it takes on the S60 but on the 850 it's not a massive job.

princepugh
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 23:08
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/heater_core.html

*edit* According to Haynes it is in-fact a fairly big job including dash facia out, air-con drain and coolant drain.

You can have a good look/ feel around the matrix by removing the kick-panel, glovebox and centre console side trim, if your mechanic hasn't already done so.

Steveh24
Friday 26th March 2010, 21:42
I have now added the K-Seal, but I don't think it worked as the coolant level was down after a short drive and I'm not sure that the leak is from the heater matrix, something else I didn't explain at the beginning is that there is a lot standing water in the passenger front and rear foot wells that has soaked the carpets, does anyone have any ideas what may cause this and how can I do a quick check

Steveh24

princepugh
Friday 26th March 2010, 23:02
If the water smells of curry it is almost certainly coolant and the only way that can really get in is via the coolant pipes which run through the firewall to the matrix.

I'd highly recommend you take the glove box out and do a visual inspection - if you have a leak, it should be obvious.

Steveh24
Saturday 27th March 2010, 00:07
If the water smells of curry it is almost certainly coolant and the only way that can really get in is via the coolant pipes which run through the firewall to the matrix.

I'd highly recommend you take the glove box out and do a visual inspection - if you have a leak, it should be obvious.

princepugh, yes it definately smells of coolant and every time I top up the header tank, it just soaks my carpets again, I'm fairly certain its coming through the bulkhead (is this the same as the firewall) and I really dont think its a leaking heater matrix.

I will remove the glove box and take a look

Thanks for your help

Steveh24

Steveh24
Saturday 27th March 2010, 10:38

Do you know how to remove the glovebox ???

princepugh
Saturday 27th March 2010, 11:36
From memory, the procedure is along the following lines:-

1) Remove the kick panel below the glove box
2) Open the glove box and release it past its normal open 'throw'
3) This is tricky and there are different designs - I had to bend the plastic tabs on mine - have a good looksee first
4) Carefully un-clip the glove box damper
5) Remove all of the surrounding torx bolts (about 8 IIRC)
6) Carefully undo the two electrical connectors
7) Remove from the car

You may have to undo the trim panel which runs along the passenger side centre console.

Once it's out you can see the side of the heater matrix as well as the coolant pipes coming down from the bulkhead so should be easy for a spot.

Good luck.

Steveh24
Saturday 27th March 2010, 12:42
From memory, the procedure is along the following lines:-

1) Remove the kick panel below the glove box
2) Open the glove box and release it past its normal open 'throw'
3) This is tricky and there are different designs - I had to bend the plastic tabs on mine - have a good looksee first
4) Carefully un-clip the glove box damper
5) Remove all of the surrounding torz bolts (about 8 IIRC)
6) Carefully undo the two electrical connectors
7) Remove from the car

You may have to undo the trim panel which runs along the passenger side centre console.

Once it's out you can see the side of the heater matrix as well as the coolant pipes coming down from the bulkhead so should be easy for a spot.

Good luck.

Thanks princepugh, also if the matrix does need replacing do you have any idea how long it will take as I believe the dash has to come out.

Thanks

Steveh24

princepugh
Monday 29th March 2010, 23:47
I honestly don't know how long the job takes but would imagine it would be several hours for someone with the necessary information and experience.

You make any progress with the inspection?