PDA

View Full Version : Removing Top Engine Bush

Crazy_C
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 00:49
I have a buggered top engine mount bush and I have a replacement one, but everything I try to do to get the bush out the mount, just doesn't work.

How the hell do I get the sodding thing out of there? Driving me insane!

My mates at their garages say that they need to be pressed out, was hoping there would be a DIY way of doing it too

Cheers

thunderace
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 01:09
I take it you mean the old one - just cut the 'webs' with a hacksaw blade and then you will be able to wrench the bush out.
Easier if you remove the complete 'A' shaped bracket first. This also makes it easier to fit the new one.

Crazy_C
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 01:13
The middle bit has come out anyway, just left with the outer ring thing stuck in the mount.

Yea, will remove that bracket, not connected to the mount anyways at the moment cos there's nothing left of the bush really, just the outer bit :rolleyes:

I've tried getting a wrench on it, just not coming out at all!! I'm thinking I may have to cut it out but that's effort, and plus I need to find the hacksaw too lol

thunderace
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 01:20
You could always go the freezer/vice/blow torch route.;)

Crazy_C
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 01:24
Freezer too full, and not got a vice.

Got the blow torch though LOL

thunderace
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 01:30
Drift it out using a short bit of pipe of same size, scaffold maybe?

Wombatbomb
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 05:32
'tis simple to do.

Take hacksaw blade off the saw and insert through the hole created by removng the centre of the bush and cut outwards, towards the mount (Dremel works also). The rubber bush is encased in a plastic ring, cut throught this and it comes out easily (you may need to cut it in two places but once normally does the trick).

Tomcat
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 06:51
As already mentioned the outer rim is only plastic, once you start with a hacksaw blade it's like a knife through butter, the bush will fall out. What sort of bush have you bought to replace it with?, standard or Poly?.

siamblue
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 09:18
The easiest way i found, i use a sharp chisel to get the platic ring out, i was lucky enough my mount almost fell out, easiest way to fit? buy a poly mount they are so much easier than a rubber mount to fit,, i use a G clamp,

Gary.

Infact i have a brand new OE mount here i bought, that's if you haven't already bought one? but didn't fit it as a Poly mount was available from a VPCUK member..

dominic street
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 10:28
siamblue fair dues m8 thats what i did with mine lol so much easier to do it that way as long as your carefull lol

Crazy_C
Tuesday 23rd March 2010, 11:41
As already mentioned the outer rim is only plastic, once you start with a hacksaw blade it's like a knife through butter, the bush will fall out. What sort of bush have you bought to replace it with?, standard or Poly?.

Ahh, I thought it may have been a metal or something cos it seemed very hard. I'll get the dremel out later then and cut through that mutha....

And I've got a standard one to replace it with. Was nice n cheap :D

Cheers