PDA

View Full Version : t5 gearbox

mightywolf
Sunday 21st March 2010, 13:51
i have a '98 v70 t5. i'm hoping its just the clutch bearing thats gone but if not i'll need a gearbox. is it a specific manual gearbox fot the t5 or would any 5 speed manual from any v70 do? would anyone know the part no for said gearbox? if you need my car reg to find it out let me know and i'll pm ya. cheers guys.

mightywolf
Sunday 21st March 2010, 21:21
it defo the gearbox. well the diffs anyway. took it to a mechanic mate of mine and he lifted the front end.....looked at it.....turned the wheels....and its on its way out. diffs are noisy as hell and there is at least 2 inches of play before the diffs lock and turn the wheels. He also reckons my clutch release bearing is on its way aswell. If i have to get another gearbox i'll have to fit a new clutch and bearing while i'm at it anyway so not too fussed about that. bit gutted though. this car is gonna bankrupt me.

p fandango
Sunday 21st March 2010, 21:28
the T-5 uses a M56H gearbox, some lower engine sized models had a M56L which has a lower ratio on 1st & 2nd gear. It'll still fit ok tho

mightywolf
Sunday 21st March 2010, 21:32
the T-5 uses a M56H gearbox, some lower engine sized models had a M56L which has a lower ratio on 1st & 2nd gear. It'll still fit ok tho

does it say that on the gearbox or will it just have the part number on it. you wouldn't know the part number for the correct box would ya? i'd prefer to make sure i'm getting one that should be on a T5 :) cheers

p fandango
Monday 22nd March 2010, 06:00
does it say that on the gearbox or will it just have the part number on it. you wouldn't know the part number for the correct box would ya? i'd prefer to make sure i'm getting one that should be on a T5 :) cheers
it will say the number on it somewhere (just not sure where), you want a M56H

mightywolf
Saturday 27th March 2010, 20:36
Am I right in thinking they used the m56h gear box after the facelift of the v70? So after 2000? If so does anyone know what is the last year they did use them or are they still using them? Obviously the if i got a box from a 2005 model for example it would be better than getting an old 1998 one.

nobananas
Saturday 27th March 2010, 22:03
Also check what slave cylinder type you have. 850's have an external slave operating a fork to engage the release bearing whereas the V70's have a concentric slave with built in release bearing. You can't swap them between the two (ie you can't fit a concentric slave to a box with an external slave fitted) although you can easily modify the pipework to make it work if needs be. Don't know what the cut off point is when they went to a concentric slave so some early V70's may have the older external slave.

mightywolf
Saturday 27th March 2010, 22:43
mine has the internal concentric slave cylinder. I've seen a gearbox on fleabay from a 2001 v70. it says its an m56h from an 82,000 mile car. seems ok and presuming it'll be the same as mine. thats why i was wondering what year they stopped using the m56h if they have. Be good if they are still the same cos i can look at getting one off a newer motor.