PDA

View Full Version : which fuel

biggbn
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 17:00
i see in many posts shell optimax is recomended as the fuel of choice for thirsty t5s. why is this? are other main brand ie bp, esso etc 'premium' unleaded fuels ok too?.. i know sod all about petrol except that it costs a *******fortune. is it true that supermarket fuel should be avoided, and if so, why?

Mrsmopp
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 17:06
Shell optimax is 98 ron whereas all their competitors are 97ron and below - basic rule of thumb is the higher the ron the better the petrol.

x

Murphy
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 17:14
Tesco SUL is the highest Octane at the moment at 99ron. I am not sure whether all garages have it - but happy days for most people as you can collect lots of Tesco points while putting £100 of fuel a week through your T5 :)

Justin
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 17:32
I personally think that Esso 97 ron is as good as Optimax, if not better, my R loves the stuff, i even get slightly better economy on it too :)

Vikingxl
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 17:48
Had a telling off from Hamish at VT for cheap petrol yesterday.He knows what he is doing so there must be good reason to avoid supermarket petrol.Mine will be running on optimax now.

Goof
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 18:28
Depends on your journey really - I drive the same route everyday and Optimax/BP97 hasn't got me to work any quicker (I'm always 15 min late) or saved me any fuel!

Andrew
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 18:31
I use BP 97 stuff... primarily cos it's the local garage and shell is 20 miles away!

Murphy
Friday 24th June 2005, 08:36
Just to add:

Tesco are trialling a 99 octane super unleaded petrol grade in 12 sites around the South East of England.

This will be competitvely priced compared to our Oil Company competitors and will be subject to our usual price check so as to ensure we match the lowest price locally for this grade.

It will be labelled as 99 octane and we will therefore always ensure it meets this octane level as a minimum.

So those lucky enough to have Volvo T5 and the like should feel a
benefit in performance without it hitting their pockets too hard.

Roll out to further stores ( in the S.E. area only) depends are how customers respond - so come on down.

99 OCTANE STORES:

Beford 1
Cheshunt Extra
Crawley Hazelwick
Gallions Reach Extra
Gillingham Kent
Lakeside Extra
Ramsgate Manston
Salisbury 2
Sandhurst Extra
Sevenoaks Riverhead
Stevenage Extra
Winchester

Andy

siamblue
Friday 24th June 2005, 09:09
I have got to give it a go, Only 10 miles away from me is the nearest Station,

Matt30462
Friday 24th June 2005, 09:16
Just to add:

Tesco are trialling a 99 octane super unleaded petrol grade in 12 sites around the South East of England.

This will be competitvely priced compared to our Oil Company competitors and will be subject to our usual price check so as to ensure we match the lowest price locally for this grade.

It will be labelled as 99 octane and we will therefore always ensure it meets this octane level as a minimum.

So those lucky enough to have Volvo T5 and the like should feel a
benefit in performance without it hitting their pockets too hard.

Roll out to further stores ( in the S.E. area only) depends are how customers respond - so come on down.

99 OCTANE STORES:

Beford 1
Cheshunt Extra
Crawley Hazelwick
Gallions Reach Extra
Gillingham Kent
Lakeside Extra
Ramsgate Manston
Salisbury 2
Sandhurst Extra
Sevenoaks Riverhead
Stevenage Extra
Winchester

Andy

Nothing there about Suffolk, we still have to chuck on another piece of coal when we need to overtake.

swordy21
Friday 24th June 2005, 09:30
On the odd occasion I have run out of petrol I have put std 95 ron in, and the car hates it, coughs & splutters all over the place and economy drops like a stone 19 - 20 mpg. Back on Optimax I get 29 - 30 mpg, and that isn't always going slow and the car runs much smoother. I have found a shell garage in Bristol on one of my ways home that sells it for 88.9p/L. My local one at home is 91.9p. Guess where I fill up now for 800 - 1000 miles per week.......

dicky b t5
Friday 24th June 2005, 17:51
Nothing there about Suffolk, we still have to chuck on another piece of coal when we need to overtake.
HAHAHA..! Like it Matt , I know wot ya mean , Im getting through two bags a week at the mo..! We've still got a nice little Garage near here that still fills up for you and they still sell 4 star for the old girls in their Morris Minors...!

TangoDeltaSierra3
Friday 24th June 2005, 19:14
I thought i once read on here that it didn't matter if you used an higher than 98 ron fuel as the rica is mapped to perform best at 98 so .....
I've no idea wot i'm on about really but i did see a thread of that nature.

Justin
Friday 24th June 2005, 19:29
I thought i once read on here that it didn't matter if you used an higher than 98 ron fuel as the rica is mapped to perform best at 98 so .....
I've no idea wot i'm on about really but i did see a thread of that nature.Very trueTDS, but as fuel degrades, 98 ron will eventually become 95 ron, having that extra ron really just guarantee's you have 98 ron and no problems ;)

Matt30462
Friday 24th June 2005, 20:05
Oi Dicky, tis roight bah. Arve gotta grumble inma grunnions, nah.

Majesticpower
Friday 24th June 2005, 20:35
Ive run my T5 on Tesco's 99 Octane, and it definately feels more responsive.

It even feels like it acclerates alot better, and its not physchological either as im aware of that being a factor.

Unfortunately ive not had the chance to fuel it back up with Tescos finest for the last few tank fulls, as my closest store is 30 miles away.

MP.

siamblue
Friday 24th June 2005, 20:55
I am getting low on fuel again, So i looked up the nearest 99 RON stockist 7 miles away at Lakeside, So i thought i would sweeten the missus up and said "Would you like to go to Lakeside tomorrow? :p So i will try some of the 99 stuff lovely :),

Gary

siamblue
Saturday 25th June 2005, 17:51
Just got back from Lakeside, Bloody Essex girls and chavs everywhere,
Managed to find Tescos tucked away 86.9 ltr for 99 RON, put £20 in and ecu adjusted straight away, Seems a little more responsive, I will put it in all of the time now,
I got a rollockiing off the missus 115 kph around a bend, she didn't like it too much.
The top mount has tightened the car up nicely, I can handle the noise from the engine bay too.

Gary

flamingbladerider
Saturday 25th June 2005, 23:17
Does any one know if Tescos are trialling any of their stations in the Northwest