PDA

View Full Version : Loud tapping noise in my T5...!!!!

chrjen
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 18:52
Just bought my wife a 1998 c70 2,3t5 and the engine is as you guys know the same as on the beloved 850's.

We have had 5 850 T5R and 850Rīs so my knowledge about these cars and their "problems" are known to me - -including Hydraulic tappets making noise.
This is what has happened:
I got the car home by truck - and test drove it, driving very careful because of the slippery weather.
After 5 min drive, the tapping noise started, and continued...
The noise is following the rpm. and tapping like the hyd. tappets - just MUCH MUCH louder!!!! It is in the to of the engine and it scares me.

See and listen to this video:
http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/chrjen/?action=view&current=c70lyd.flv

The car is an absolute minter in untouched original state with a FSH by volvo. The milage is 80.000mls and she is from 1998.

Any ideas are much appriciated.

Kindest Chris

martybelfastt5
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 18:57
what condition and level is the oil in??

walter leever
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 18:58
Just bought my wife a 1998 c70 2,3t5 and the engine is as you guys know the same as on the beloved 850's.

We have had 5 850 T5R and 850Rīs so my knowledge about these cars and their "problems" are known to me - -including Hydraulic tappets making noise.
This is what has happened:
I got the car home by truck - and test drove it, driving very careful because of the slippery weather.
After 5 min drive, the tapping noise started, and continued...
The noise is following the rpm. and tapping like the hyd. tappets - just MUCH MUCH louder!!!! It is in the to of the engine and it scares me.

See and listen to this video:
http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq158/chrjen/?action=view&current=c70lyd.flv

The car is an absolute minter in untouched original state with a FSH by volvo. The milage is 80.000mls and she is from 1998.

Any ideas are much appriciated.

Kindest Chris

I'm afraid it sounds expensive(conrods bent,i hope not)

pookie
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 19:10
It is difficult to get the exact tone of the noise, but I think it's a tappet. Stick a high quality engine flush in it, let it idle for a good while and see what happens.

Pookie

PHIL V70R
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 19:12
have you changed the oil..and give it a good flush mate..and right grade of oil...(now ive done it)

p fandango
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 19:16
I'm afraid it sounds expensive(conrods bent,i hope not)
the conrods i heard sound alot more thumpy & ropey than that

t5 stealth
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 19:22
i think engine flush would be first option,as stated .....
then some good oil,

chrjen
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 19:25
I changed the oil to high grade 10w40 and the filter afterwards. Nothing changed. I am hoping a lifter or a valvespring...but fearing the worst

t5 stealth
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 19:59
I changed the oil to high grade 10w40 and the filter afterwards. Nothing changed. I am hoping a lifter or a valvespring...but fearing the worst

did u give it a flush before you changed it mate,

chrjen
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 20:18
No.

t5 stealth
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 20:21
putting a flush through it would probably help mate,
it removes any deposits stuck in the hydraulics etc...
then the oil can run through it again,
id put a flush into the new oil & do as it says on the instruction then drain & refill with new oil...
shame to waste that new oil already.....but a flush will most likely help if its a lifter dry or clogged etc//

madhouse
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 20:34
That doesn't sound healthy!
Have you taken the oil filler cap off whilst running to chrck there is oil thrashing around the valve gear? It does sound tappetty but sounds like and old Astra with a worn camshaft.
If an oil flush hasn't sorted it I'd be checking the top end for oil flow, infact the oil pump in general, assuming the oil light comes on and goes out correctly??

Best of luck.

walter leever
Thursday 18th March 2010, 05:54
the conrods i heard sound alot more thumpy & ropey than that

Let's hope it's not that then.:rainfro: