PDA

View Full Version : Dash top reflection

stuAWD
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 15:48
Has anyone got an answer to this. First, I know we dont get that much sun, but when we do and its high in the sky, the windscreen reflects the top of the dash and makes visibility very poor. Never happened in any other motor i've had.
The car is a 1998 V70 R AWD with charcoal interior.
Any ideas would be welcome.

Martinr
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 16:03
Try draping a piece of black material across the top of the dashboard. I have seen this done on cars with light trim but usually the dark ones are OK.

These solutions were proposed on the VOC forum recently 1. Professional photographers use dulling spray to control flare - try and get some from a photo supply shop and see if that works.

It's not permanent, so it shouldn't muck up the dash.

2. Oakley polarised sun glasses - all reflections instantly eliminated and contrasts improved.

stuAWD
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 16:08
Try draping a piece of black material across the top of the dashboard. I have seen this done on cars with light trim but usually the dark ones are OK.

These solutions were proposed on the VOC forum recently 1. Professional photographers use dulling spray to control flare - try and get some from a photo supply shop and see if that works.

It's not permanent, so it shouldn't muck up the dash.

2. Oakley polarised sun glasses - all reflections instantly eliminated and contrasts improved.
Cheeers for the info, the dash is black, but it's shiny, think i will give the spray a try though. Will let you know the result.
I look daft in shades over the top of the specs that I wear. And clip ons are dire.

Vikingxl
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 17:13
Ive got some prescription lenses in my oakleys and you cant tell.Lots of money but worth it.

stuAWD
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 18:58
Ive got some prescription lenses in my oakleys and you cant tell.Lots of money but worth it.
That might be the way to go.
who knows, I may look cool for the first time in my life.

pyrotechnictigger
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 19:45
Wipe the dash over with a baby wipe / wet one. Reduces shine by a bit.

siamblue
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 22:32
My dash glares very badly, Never noticed it in any other cars,

Vikingxl
Friday 24th June 2005, 08:02
That might be the way to go.
who knows, I may look cool for the first time in my life.
Check out the oakley website it should list local opticians that can do the glasses for you.Had mine for a few years now and cant fault them optical quality is spot on and as i said you really cant tell .They are genuine oakley lenses and even have the o etched into them.

siamblue
Friday 24th June 2005, 09:12
Check out the oakley website it should list local opticians that can do the glasses for you.Had mine for a few years now and cant fault them optical quality is spot on and as i said you really cant tell .They are genuine oakley lenses and even have the o etched into them.

This thread reminds me of that Billy Conolly joke about his father and his reliant robin with the prescription windscreen,

stuAWD
Friday 24th June 2005, 14:47
Tried a prescription screen, but the better half complained it gave her headache. :slap:

Matt30462
Friday 24th June 2005, 16:08
Laser Corrective Eye Surgery ..........£1000.00
Oakley Sunglasses .......................£200.00
No Dash Top Reflection...................Priceless

Bit over the top me thinks!

MistralS60
Wednesday 29th June 2016, 12:17
+1 for the Oakleys with prescription lenses, but can't always use 'em :(.

Anyone know of a liquid that'll stain a beige dash to a dark colour ?

Redbrick
Thursday 30th June 2016, 09:48
his thread has taken me back in time, I thought for a minute the old crowd had returned.

Much easier to get a dark dash top from someone breaking a car if an older 850 or P1. If P2 then stick some matt vinyl material on it.

MistralS60
Sunday 14th August 2016, 09:33
My P2 beige dash reflected badly when it was too dull to use Oakleys (or any other polarised shades !) so I tried a spray-on black which was supposed to bond with the plastic (ABS I guess).

That was impossible to apply as instructed, looked dreadful and *didn't* bond, so I was able to remove it with cellulose thinners.

My advice if you don't want to get into tailoring - clean the dash with white spirit or cellulose thinners and paint it with the matt black paint made for blackboards. IME it'll still reflect a bit, but not nearly so badly.

Be careful with cellulose thinners as they will attack just about anything, including the unnecessary black paint on black panels.

Tomcat
Sunday 14th August 2016, 10:37
his thread has taken me back in time, I thought for a minute the old crowd had returned.

Much easier to get a dark dash top from someone breaking a car if an older 850 or P1. If P2 then stick some matt vinyl material on it.

Ah if only, much more fun back then if you ask me.

Biff
Sunday 14th August 2016, 18:46
Not sure it was mainstream in 2005 but my solution would be to get the dash top flocked.

hillmangt
Sunday 14th August 2016, 19:42
Matt cockpit spray is available for this purpose. Used to use it regularly on an omega estate that previous owner had covered interior plastics with masses of cockpit shine almost making it unusable on a sunny day.

MistralS60
Sunday 14th August 2016, 19:44
"Not sure it was mainstream in 2005 but my solution would be to get the dash top flocked."

How the flock do you do that ;) ?

Orca2
Sunday 14th August 2016, 21:27
Get the flock outta here!

Biff
Sunday 14th August 2016, 22:39
Glad to see I can still entertain. :)

MistralS60
Monday 15th August 2016, 06:44
Hey, lighten up, it was a serious question :hidesbehi