PDA

View Full Version : intercooler cleaning

woking rob
Tuesday 16th March 2010, 19:37
ok looking into replacing my turbo as its going but there is a build up of oil in my intercooler how do i clean it?

p fandango
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 06:43
i've read of some people cleaing them out with petrol, make sure its well rinsed/dry before you use it again tho

castellsmith123
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 10:50
Belive it or not, washing machine liquid! I have done this 25-30 on Daf and Renault intercooler's! One liquid tablet and warm water! Tape up one end of the outlet and half fill from the other! Give it a good shake for a few minutes. Then fill right up and leave it to soak for a while! We leave them for an hour! Another good shake and empty and rinse! Leave a hose pipe in it for 10 minutes and empty! Stand the cooler so an outlet is facing down and drain! Hope this helps!

cookie
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 11:01
I just remove bottom engine cover (about 2 screws) plug little breather in bottom with a screw, disconnect top elbow, rotate so its pointing up wards, disconnect pipe to turbo where it crosses side of engine, then fill intercooler up with petrol, via top hose, until its visible other hose thats been disconnected, leave to soak overnight, then put bucket under lower hose, release jubilee clip and drain out the gunk, repeat if required (I filter manky petrol, and use in old scrappy car, so it costs nothing but time to do), once drained, I just leave for a hour, with pipes disconnected for remains to evaporate.

I wouldn't advise reusing petrol in anything decent.

woking rob
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 17:51
cool thank u for the help ppl

woking rob
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 17:54
i might just blow a shed load of carb cleaner in it then a steam cleaner in the top hose so it all comes outta the bottom hose

Alan M
Friday 19th March 2010, 15:55
By a good degreaser (one friendly to aluminium) and fill then empty after standing for several hours then flush with petrol.