PDA

View Full Version : Few niggles with my 850 t5

Will_1223
Monday 15th March 2010, 19:03
Right i have a few niggles with my 850 t5 which i need some advice on, first off is the main one and thats when we bought the car the abs light came on for a bit then went off, now i went out in it today and it was fine till all of a sudden when i applied the brake i heard a crunching kind of noise and it felt like the pedal went hard and i had hardly any brakes, it did it a couple of times and then stopped but now the abs light is showing all the time.

Second is the boost gauge isnt working, the gauge just sits in the middle but i can assure you the turbo works hehe.

Any help would be much appriciated.

Tomcat
Monday 15th March 2010, 19:29
What year is your car?, the later 850's (96) had a problem with the ABS controller ECU (dry joints in the solder), there's a how too floating around for repairing these. If your car isn't that year then get the fault codes read, you may just have a duff abs sensor.

As for the boost guage not working, have a look at the vacuum tree next to the throttle cable on the engine, that's where the hose comes off for the gauge, follow the vac lines back as far as you can, if you can't find a break then I'm afraid you'll have to take the dash out and check to see if the pipes come off the back of the gauge.

Clan998
Monday 15th March 2010, 19:53
Right i have a few niggles with my 850 t5 which i need some advice on, first off is the main one and thats when we bought the car the abs light came on for a bit then went off, now i went out in it today and it was fine till all of a sudden when i applied the brake i heard a crunching kind of noise and it felt like the pedal went hard and i had hardly any brakes, it did it a couple of times and then stopped but now the abs light is showing all the time.

Second is the boost gauge isnt working, the gauge just sits in the middle but i can assure you the turbo works hehe.

Id agree with Tomcat .... read the codes ... you can make a code reader cheaply (£1.38). You might need to resolder the joints on ECU . I did mine itsnot too difficult and there are lots of threads about it.

When my boost gauage stopped working the pipes had come apart just above the lefy hand side head light there is a joint there .

Good luck with sorting it.

5seaterT5x2
Monday 15th March 2010, 20:27

could be just an abs wheel sensor faulty it was on my 96 but as for the guage there is a join in the pipe above/behind the passenger side headlight thats what came apart on mine

Will_1223
Tuesday 16th March 2010, 16:06
well managed to fix a couple of the jobs i needed to, had a cracked front headlamp and got a new one with the car as was happy to find how easy it was to change, also found the problem with my boost gauge which was as said the pipe had come off so i put it back on for now and will also make it better by putting in a quick fit connector which will hold it better than standard does, the abs problem hasnt come back again so im happy with that i think the brakes just needed to be rebed in as the car has sat for a while, next on my list, is service then i will see about some bits that i want!!!

Flatout Phil
Tuesday 16th March 2010, 16:20
well managed to fix a couple of the jobs i needed to, had a cracked front headlamp and got a new one with the car as was happy to find how easy it was to change, also found the problem with my boost gauge which was as said the pipe had come off so i put it back on for now and will also make it better by putting in a quick fit connector which will hold it better than standard does, the abs problem hasnt come back again so im happy with that i think the brakes just needed to be rebed in as the car has sat for a while, next on my list, is service then i will see about some bits that i want!!!

In the Lake District, they do say that if you can see the hill in the distance, it means it's going to rain, if you can't see it, it's raining already. ABS on 850 is a bit like this, if it isn't already niggly, it soon will be. But it is easy enough to fix.