PDA

View Full Version : Whats the score with RICA and other mods?

Bison
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 00:29
Ok i know some of you say cone air filters are crap, ok fine your opinion. I want one regardless, does RICA work with a cone filter or not? Does anyone have a cone filter that has had RICA? Have you had any problems? basically I want both! I know VT will not do RICA if a cone filter is fitted but what If I fit one after will it mess things up or not?

Bison

splatt
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 00:34
doubt it makes any difference at all as the MAF will sort out any differences,
Ask VT...?

BlackBeast
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 00:49
Can I also ask the question why are people in general and VT against the fitting of a cone filter???

pyrotechnictigger
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 01:08
My understanding is that the standard panel filter benifits from a cold air feed through the standard pipe. A cone filter draws ALL its air from the bay which is normally above ambient. The colder the air, the better so QED dont suck it in from the bay!

BlackBeast
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 01:20
Other problems associated with cone filters include damaged MAF sensors and incorrect pressure differentials resulting in uneven air-flow characteristics (Volvo Tuning, 2005).

Taken from my knowledge of the Fiat Coupe 5cyl 20v turbo, as long as the intake pipe from the turbo is straight, includes the MAF in its original position (i.e not upside down) and obviously a cone filter then there will be no problems, spool up time would be reduced and the car will be more responsive off boost.

Wobbly Dave
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 01:52
I know that VT are developing a cone filter with ITG for the T5. Ask Hamish if you can have one for the 850. Said filter is on Hamish's car as he is investigating the pro's and cons.

Essentially any engine air is bad news.

Ross9
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 18:02
On a side not, why do VT refuse to map a car that has specific modifications on it.

ie, atmospheric dump valve, heat shielded cone filter etc

Seems strange to me, after all, the car is mapped based on what parts it has, not the other way round, and other tuners will map it with these fitted and get good results.

Just curious as to the reasoning behind it.

Ross

volvotuning
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 18:20
On a side not, why do VT refuse to map a car that has specific modifications on it.

Ross

We don't refuse! We only refuse to map cars that are unfit to be mapped. As for other mods, not a problem. We do however advise on existing mods and more often that not we tell it how it is, because if you want performance then some things are a no-no, such as the 57i.

ITG have been doing development work with us for the past 2 years now, and it's time to develop some new stuff, so watch this space...

Adam.

p fandango
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 20:53
I know that VT are developing a cone filter with ITG for the T5. Ask Hamish if you can have one for the 850. Said filter is on Hamish's car as he is investigating the pro's and cons.
& heres me believing the standard airbox couldn't be better'd, so i'd been told :wink:

BlackBeast
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 21:10
Adam, could you elaborate on this comment taken from the volvo tuining website 'incorrect pressure differentials resulting in uneven air-flow characteristics'? How do you overcome this? and why isnt apparent in every other car that is MAF and turbo equipped?

I know i refer to the Fiat Coupe, but i think that it is a very good comparison as it has a 5cyl 20v turbo engine, it is also equipped with a MAF and has a T28 turbo and has seen really good results from a straight induction mod which reduces intake restriction and improves both spool-up and top end power. Just food for thought.

Ross9
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 21:34
We don't refuse! We only refuse to map cars that are unfit to be mapped. As for other mods, not a problem. We do however advise on existing mods and more often that not we tell it how it is, because if you want performance then some things are a no-no, such as the 57i.

ITG have been doing development work with us for the past 2 years now, and it's time to develop some new stuff, so watch this space...

Adam.

OK, it was just I had read on another forum that someone approached VT for a RICA, and was told that he would have to remove his cone filter and atmospheric dump valve or you wouldn't do it.

Obviously this is second hand info and he may have exaggerated a bit, was just curious.

Ross

SaffronC70
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 21:45
My MAF died twice with an oil-type cone filter - as the oil was literally sucked into the MAF, coating it thus causing damage.

With a carefully selected Apexi cone filter, dry type, with air straightening design, I suffered no MAF failure, hugely improved idle and made 266bhp @ wheels.

I wouldn't recommend it and don't be tempted to drill your air box - if you are leaving it in, might as well leave it complete.

That said, I'm currently running a KN filter panel with the standard airbox cut in half - touch would, the car has been good as gold and power delivery is much smoother.

Atmospheric dump valve is pointless - it IS good on older cars such as RS Turbos that have simpler injection systems.

Chris

oh but the induction roar/recirc valve chatter is a different matter :troutslap

volvotuning
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 22:13
& heres me believing the standard airbox couldn't be better'd, so i'd been told :wink:

Indeed, and for now it still looks that way...

Adam.

volvotuning
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 22:43
Adam, could you elaborate on this comment taken from the volvo tuining website 'incorrect pressure differentials resulting in uneven air-flow characteristics'? How do you overcome this? and why isnt apparent in every other car that is MAF and turbo equipped?

Yes I can elaborate - basically it's a mistake on the web site and I need to change it. Don't get me wrong though, pressure differentials are very important in the design of induction systems.

Adam.

Bison
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 23:19

Adam, does this mean a cone filter is not in the near future? If I fitted a cone filter, even though you may not see performance gains, are you saying the RICA will still work fine?

Would I have to fit the Filter before a visit to get my RICA or will it work fine if fitted afterwards?

Bison

Basically I am not fitting a dump valve, but I still want some sort of noise, the noise I want is wastegate "CHATTER" or if not wastegate, just that chatter sound, that you get from fitting a cone filter!

volvotuning
Friday 24th June 2005, 01:05
The RICA will work ok - it always will. However, if you fit say an open cone filter, you'll be down on power. IMHO, what's the point in spending money making a car go faster, then spending more money making it slower?

Adam.

Matt30462
Friday 24th June 2005, 09:26
The RICA will work ok - it always will. However, if you fit say an open cone filter, you'll be down on power. IMHO, what's the point in spending money making a car go faster, then spending more money making it slower?

Adam.

He has a point!!!!!!

Matt30462
Friday 24th June 2005, 09:28

Adam.

MMM, I could of course be barking up the wrong tree here, but!!!!!.
Would this "and for NOW" be an indication toward a modified box in development?