PDA

View Full Version : Help re fitting aftermarket stereo

birtymeek
Sunday 14th March 2010, 19:38
Right. Just got a 1998 V70R AWD (pic in newbees forum).

Trying to fit my Sony single DIN stereo as its got bluetooth built in and plugs for IPOD etc.

Got hold of a DIN facia kit and the ISO adapter thing (harness). Looked at the stereo and theres four other leads in particular plugged in to the rear of the standard unit (from left to right as you look to the rear of the unit).

Main I'm assuming this is the ariel as it fits nicely in to the socket
Sub This puney little wire is the one that confuses me the most. Is there an adapter to plug in to this and goes to 2 phono so i can plug in to the rear of my sony?
CD I cant find a CD changer anywhere so im assuming I can leave this wire unplugged
Amp Bought this which should allow connection to sony http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/lcca/mia/d/autoleads+pc9+414+amplified+harness+from+d+p/pid/9386096?afid=88888

So in a nut shell....i think i;ve got it sorted all apart from what to do about the sub wire. I dont think its a dolby system as theres no speaker on top of the dash.

Please help its driving me nuts

dobbin
Monday 15th March 2010, 23:30
not sure about non dolby systems but mine took a bit of working out and some great help from folks in here, try this link theres a lot of info in there
http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/archive/index.php/f-43.html

birtymeek
Tuesday 16th March 2010, 20:14
Cheers for the link but I'm more confused now. Seems like nobody else has this stupid puney sub cable. Been sat in car like a proper chav with stereo on loud, standard stereo out but on, putting the sub wire in and out and I cant hear any difference so I think its a conspiracy by Volvo. They put that in the car i'd buy and only that one. Just to brass me off, knowing i'd be sat outside my house fiddling.

I still cant find a CD changer so that leads not getting used unless anyone can say where the bloody thing should be?

Crazy_C
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 20:33
Take some photos and I'll be able to tell you cos I think I know what you may mean but not 100% sure without seeing it.

mds
Thursday 18th March 2010, 15:32
The standard CD changer was fitted left hand side of the luggage area, some after market CD changers were screwed under the rear floor panel behind the seats. Alpine and Becker CD Changers needed an interface the skinny wire may be the power to the interface (the old owner may have taken the changer and interface out?) It could also be power for the antenna (C70).

With my 1997 P1 V70 CD T5 Auto I just removed the standard unit and fitted a Double Din Kenwood 6029 Built in DVD with HD Nav, Digital TV, Bluetooth, CD Changer and Ipod interface, all straight forward and only needed the main power and speaker connection (Autleads). The Kenwood has 4 x 50w output which for my old ears is plenty.
I repeated the exercise with my 2001 P2 V70 T5 SE Auto it took a bit more thinking about (had to make up a Din Plug lead to bypass the amp but everything works great).
Set up is Double din Facia from RUFE, Kenwood 5022 built in Nav, Bluetooth and DVD + Digital TV, CD Changer and Ipod.
Our 3rd car is a MY2003 V70 T5 SE Auto with RTI/TV and Comms Pack, by comparison to the Kenwood set up no where near as good. The Nav interface is slow and cumbersome, TV is only analog and I am told there are no plans to upgrade to digital?? So in the near future I will be doing it again by the look of things.