PDA

View Full Version : front end

mightywolf
Sunday 14th March 2010, 15:03
this will never end. My passenger side cv joint went. I fixed it. Front end still didn't feel right. Changed droplinks and wishbones.....still doesn't feel right. Feels stiffer on the front now but still feels a bit juddery and like something is giving where it should'nt be. I'm gonna do my track rod ends next, any more ideas? its doing my head in now.

t5 stealth
Sunday 14th March 2010, 17:06
get the tracking checked,

mightywolf
Sunday 14th March 2010, 19:08
i had balanced n tracked when i did my cv joint, n tracked after i did my drop links ans wishbones. it does almost feel like its the tracking or balancing thats out but it can't be now.

t5 stealth
Sunday 14th March 2010, 19:11
try to explain a bit better what its doin,
is it only since u done the cv joint or same as before that

mightywolf
Sunday 14th March 2010, 19:23
it was fine before the cv joint went. when i'd fixed it it seemed fine for a couple of days then started feeling like it was hitting bumps too hard if that makes sense. I checked it and the wishbones were totally knackered.When i took the drivers side off i could push the bush out with a finger and it looked like a dog had been chewing it!! so i changed both wishbones and droplinks. it feels stiffer now on the front end and rides the bumps much better but it just feels jittery at the wheels. like you haven't tightened the wheel nuts and the wheels are loose almost. thats the best way i can describe it. i think i'm gonna change the other cv joint and do the track rod ends, but i'm not convinced its either of those things. I thought about the steering rack but all seems fine with no leaks. My mate suggested the drive shafts or a diff problem.

t5 stealth
Sunday 14th March 2010, 20:32
i would retrace your steps then,if it wasnt there before you changed cv joint,

maybe a faulty cv joint,siezed etc...then you would get vibration etc.
have you checked the top mounts at top of shocks,if car was jacked up & the bush is on its way out,the wheel hanging may of disturbed something,
but at a guess id say the cv joint is at fault....if its since that job.

also i wouldnt change anything else until you cured the problem,as you will just confuse the issue.

mightywolf
Sunday 14th March 2010, 22:55
possibly. i did think of the top mounts or possibly the anti roll bar. thing is if i jack up the car i can't find any movement or play in the wheel or at any of the bushes. it all seems solid. and it does seem to feel like its from the drivers side, which has still got the old cv joint on. i'm getting pretty stumped. I'll check the new cv joint andsee if i can hear any creaks from the shocks.

PHIL V70R
Tuesday 16th March 2010, 19:49
what about the discs..if out of shape they can play tricks on your mind...

mightywolf
Tuesday 16th March 2010, 22:42
i've just put new discs, pads n shoes all round. i've noticed today though that if i go over some bumps i get a clacking noise. seems to be from the drivers side. but i quickly checked the new cv joint side at dinner today and i got a bit of movement from the wheel and faint clicking. so you might be right about it being the new cv joint. i'm gonna check it at the weekend. i'llbe well peeved if the new one is faulty. its only been on a couple of weeks.

mightywolf
Wednesday 17th March 2010, 23:48
quick update. almost positive its not either of my cv joints. on the left hand side (transmission side) i am getting a slight click. I think my diffs are on the way out. since i've had the car its been rattling from the gearbox when stood in neutral. as it seemed to go away when driving i presumed it was the clutch release bearing. my drive shaft seal is also leaking. gear change is fine, so could the diffs in the gearbox cause the front end to feel funny? or maybe the driveshaft? but........and here's the big but, i got my head right under the car and i could possibly have a slight leak from my steering rack. can't tell exactly where its coming from but its not engine oil. it must be a small leak cos i never have to top up my power steering fluid. so it could possibly be this causing the problem aswell. to be honest i think the steering rack is less likely to be the problem. anyone any ideas?

t5 stealth
Thursday 18th March 2010, 18:56
is the fluid red...
& is the car manual or spazstick
if its leaking from the driveshaft seal then it might be the gearbox is very low on oil which would cause some problems,not necceseraly strange steering,
also if the inner cv joint is tight or siezed or even a bent driveshaft then that would cause vibration & damage the driveshaft oil seal,
if your not topping up the p/steering then id say its not leaking,
maybe a quick visit to your local garage to let them have a look,

mightywolf
Thursday 18th March 2010, 19:32
its a manual. I like to do the driving, rather than the car! :) the more i think about it the more i reckon the drive shaft could be at fault. when the cv joint went, it went so badly the cv joint separated and the drive shaft was left dangling. suppose it could have easily got caught and bent when the aa man moved it on and off the trailer. i'll price them up and see if i can afford to it. do the drive shafts come complete with the inner cv joint, or is the joint seperate? its the tranmission side of the car. and i'll top up the gearbox oil and do the seal at the same time. is there a correct gearbox oil (as in volvo only stuff) or will aftermarket stuff do? i've heard the horror stories with the auto gearboxes but what about manual? its '98 v70 t5 cd.

t5 stealth
Thursday 18th March 2010, 20:11
usually you can buy the complete driveshaft,
& aftermarket ol is fine aslong as its the correct grade etc.

mightywolf
Thursday 18th March 2010, 22:52
thanks for all your help and advice stealth, i'll keep you posted.

mightywolf
Sunday 21st March 2010, 13:37
ok think i've been getting paranoid!! i think all the taps n rattles i'm hearing are from the gearbox. with the driveshaft seal leaking its getting more noticable so i'lltop it up till i can fix it. also my clutch pedal is clunking when i push it down and lift off now do i'm thinking the release bearing is getting worse. not getting any slipping from the clutch at all or losing any brake/clutch fluid so can't be anything else. gearchange is fine. what will i be looking at for a clutch kit inc bearing/slave cylinder. mine is internal. and what type gearbox oil do i need?