PDA

View Full Version : Which glue to use?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 14th March 2010, 12:16
The 19s are back from the refurbish place in Preston. Originally they had plastic decorative screws which were drilled out.

I have 120 decorative bolts to put in (bought from a firm in Germany). Unfortunately there is a mill or so of play between the hole and the stem - so I will have to glue them in. I don't think I could have got an exact fit.
The holes are powder coated and lacquered like the rest of the wheel.

Araldite would be first choice but it is fiddly and messy. Trying to get glue onto the bolt shaft will almost certainly mean making a mess of the head OR scraping it into the holes will make a mess of the wheel??

So I bought this liquid metal adhesive in a silicone sealant style tube (works with a squeezy gun) - but I am concerned that this is a metal to metal adhesive - and whilst the alloy is metal - do I need to remove the lacquer and poly coat??

It bothers me due to the forces involved. These decorative things will be spinning at some rate of knots??

Should I just leave them without? I am a bit worried as what to do for best.

Alan M
Sunday 14th March 2010, 12:22
This stuff will do what you need Dave and it can be wiped clean if any over/mess is made when fitting the bolts using some alcohol wipes. It has a 40yr life and is very very good and sticks under most if not all conditions and is rated up to around 180degrees too. It will fill any distance you require to fix your bolts. Its worth buying a tube or if you can collect from me in Birmingham I can give you a tube to try on one.http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-331001/everbuild-stixall-building-adhesive-and#38;-sealant-290ml-brown.html

MIKESC70T5
Sunday 14th March 2010, 12:30
Hi Dave i'm at work at the moment so having a rummage threw all my glues/sealents etc and most wouldn't be suitable as they would probably react with the lacquer.My suggestion would be some permanent threadlock.

hth Mike

volvokid
Sunday 14th March 2010, 13:39
Hi Dave i'm at work at the moment so having a rummage threw all my glues/sealents etc and most wouldn't be suitable as they would probably react with the lacquer.My suggestion would be some permanent threadlock.

hth Mike

Would threadlock fill the gap?

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 14th March 2010, 22:55
Threadlock is not useful in this case. These things don't screw in.

These are the things...

http://www.titanium-touch.de/shop/product_info.php?info=p259_Decorative-screws-d6x10.html

I need to glue/ fill the gap between the shaft - which has no threads - more fins - and the hole.

Jimmie
Sunday 14th March 2010, 23:29
If you know a builder etc you could get (borrow) some Hilti Expoxy Resin with the gun to squirt a drop into the holes with no mess.There is also the Araldite Rapid Syringe that you can use and it only costs about £5.00 and is permanent.

Wobbly Dave
Sunday 14th March 2010, 23:51
Have ordered some and some new lights to help with my detailing.

thebadger
Monday 15th March 2010, 00:04
Best advice is, wheels off & lay them flat to glue, we all know how drips of any glue can ruin a project.

Wobbly Dave
Monday 15th March 2010, 00:53
That was my intent.

snoop69
Monday 15th March 2010, 18:42
Cut down roll pins ??

lance
Tuesday 16th March 2010, 11:20
I was speaking to a mate about the benefits of araldite and he fixed a vauxhall chevette head with it, then a 2 p stuck to a radiator and even a petrol tank with the help of a beer can! Apparantly spitfire wings were stuck on with the stuff.
Top tip avoid the fast setting stuff, and the above bodges out lived the rest of the cars!

ace275
Thursday 18th March 2010, 18:32
how about sikoflex?