PDA

View Full Version : A few tuning questions

Will_1223
Saturday 13th March 2010, 22:01
Hi all i am going to look at a 1995 850 t5 GLT auto with 114k on the clock tommorow in the hope to buy it, now my dad used to have a phase 2 but i know this will be different, i am going to fit the rica 304 ecu but am also wanting to fit a decat/full system and induction kit but i understand these have a different intercooler to normal ones, i have been reading and looking at pictures and understand the v70 has a reverse intercooler, would this benifit me in any way and would it make a difference in hp, im not looking for massive hp but a resonable amount and can see obviously over 300 with the setup above?? Will i need to uprate anything else such as brakes, i am going to lower the suspension about 20-40mm and no more as i want a set of 17's and not to scrub with more than 2 people in.

t5_monkey
Saturday 13th March 2010, 22:36
you won't see a genuine 300bhp without some serious mods (despite what the tuners may tell you.) The top genuine power is supposedly about 320bhp for a super clean 2.4 T5 with all the mods.

Uncorrected Power at the wheels is all that matters, crank power is always a dodgy area.

First step is a stage 0 - get everything checked properly, a good service and a dyno run as stock so you can measure any improvements.

Next step is a software remap - will give you a decent power increase for buttons. A K&N typhoon air intake may sap power (due to heatsoak) so go for a CAI setup if you can, or even just a K&N Panel filter. Hamish at HLM motors is doing some good deals on older cars at the moment I think.

Decat is a cheap alternative to a sports cat and 3" downpipe. As for the reverse piping there'll be some benefit, but probably nowhere near as much as getting a 3" downpipe, and remap.

As for brakes - that depends how much of an animal you are behind the wheel :) best bet for basic suspension mods is:

- IPD rear rollbar
- Strut Brace
- Sports Springs
- Alignment check

Braided brake lines will help your feel, but unless your spanking the arse out of your car in a big way you shouldn't encounter fade and brake issues on the open road - you may if you go on track days.

rogert5
Saturday 13th March 2010, 23:32
I would put brakes as the first step. 280mm fronts are ok for the 10 valve 850s but the t5 is so much faster,even before any mods. My 302mm upgrade made a real difference and made me feel much more confident in what is after all quite a heavy car.

Will_1223
Saturday 13th March 2010, 23:43
i always give all my new cars a full service, i.e oil, filter and plugs change, then im gonna go for a injector treatment in the fuel to clear out any carbon, i think then i will change the ecu and get a full system including a decat, and an induction kit with heatshield. will see from there how the car goes.

p fandango
Sunday 14th March 2010, 00:32
A K&N typhoon air intake may sap power (due to heatsoak) so go for a CAI setup if you can, or even just a K&N Panel filter.
having been thru more air filter designs than i dare to remember i've never had any problems with heat soak from an open filter, i even did experiments with a Pipercross Viper canister filter using it both sealed & open & again no difference. I've found Pipercross to be better than K&N tho (from personal experience)

Decat is a cheap alternative to a sports cat and 3" downpipe. As for the reverse piping there'll be some benefit, but probably nowhere near as much as getting a 3" downpipe, and remap.
the reverse flow shortens the air flow by 14"s & also removes many twists & turns, brings the turbo in quicker

Rnash2002
Sunday 14th March 2010, 09:01
im not looking for massive hp but a resonable amount and can see obviously over 300 with the setup above??
For a proper 300bhp you will need to upgrade the turbo.