PDA

View Full Version : dried up performance air filter??? should it be oily

d14vd_h
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 20:22
Since fitting my cold air intake/ drilled airbox ive been keeping an eye on my k&n filter,
i noticed recently it seems to be bone dry, should it not be quite oily???
let me know please - so i can get a k&n kit to bring it back to life cheers.

Tomcat
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 20:30
Yes K&N's should have oil in them, they need to be cleaned with the appropriate cleaning fluid and warm water. Once dry they need to be re-oiled. You can buy the cleaner and oil from anywhere that sells the filters.

p fandango
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 20:36
i've heard just spraying over them with WD40 does the same thing

Tomcat
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 21:07
Eh?, not heard that one before!.

Personally if I was paying out for a K&N then I'd want to have the proper stuff for cleaning it.

d14vd_h
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 21:41
yeah the oil in question is only a tenner at my autoshop so i'll shell out...do u think its dried out since drilling/air intake???
am i doing any damge to car/filter while its dry?

Tomcat
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 22:01
You'll be able to tell if its dried out, normaly the filter itself is a reddish colour. When they dry out they go grey. If it has gone grey then it wont be working properly i.e. dust, grit may be getting through the filter.

SaffronC70
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 22:52
hey guy

is it just dry - not dripping - or is it bone dry like a paper filter ?

They aren't wet filters as such, just have a content of oil.

They are usually fine for a long time; have you had a KN type filter before?

As long as it's a red colour and not grey, like said, it should be fine.

Start worrying when you've got loads of flies, leaves, cigarette ends stuck to it !

Chris

Tomcat
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 23:01
Cig ends?, how close to pedestrians have you been driving? lol, next you'll be telling me to look out for shoes and teeth etc..

dave
Wednesday 22nd June 2005, 23:07
Cig ends?, how close to pedestrians have you been driving? lol, next you'll be telling me to look out for shoes and teeth etc..

lol, excellent!

dave

d14vd_h
Thursday 23rd June 2005, 11:32
yeah still red, tjanks for that guys its a good way of telling,
i recall it being gooey with oil when i pulled it out for a look last time - hence my concern, but i'll wory when it starts losing the redness.
as for debris thats actuslly why i was checking cos my air intake doesnt have mesh over it so i was checking to see what i sucked up, but the postion and angle of the pipe means only air gets up.
.... tho my radiator has had several cigs - putting it on nicorette