PDA

View Full Version : Strange noise coming from cone filter

Mck1
Thursday 11th March 2010, 20:26
I've had a cone air filter fitted for a few months now, which sound great especially when you hit 4100 rpm it roars! It’s currently fitted to the top of the air box because of the MAF sensor. Having been playing around with it lately i.e. securing with tie pulls, it’s started making a strange noise when I hit 4100rpm. Difficult to explain on text, it's making a sort of air flapping sound?!

Is this normal?

madhouse
Thursday 11th March 2010, 22:46
Doesn't sound like a 'normal' sound. It's not the wadding thats loose in the cone? If you're not a T5 I understand the 20v motors have a dual stage inlet manifold that opens at higher revs. Could it be the internals not holding open??

I'm no expert just putting thoughts on paper...errr keyboard!

Mark

Mck1
Friday 12th March 2010, 08:38
Thanks, I'll have a another look at all the connections & filter. Your right about the 20v motor having a dual stage inlet manifold that opens at 4100rpm. Mines been fitted with a VVIS mod (9bhp increase under 80% load) that eliminates this by opening the inlet at 2100rpm.

Wobbly Dave
Friday 12th March 2010, 11:41
Have you checked your wastegate actuator? Is it set right, namely 3 to 4 psi?

smithy
Friday 12th March 2010, 12:56
Thanks, I'll have a another look at all the connections & filter. Your right about the 20v motor having a dual stage inlet manifold that opens at 4100rpm. Mines been fitted with a VVIS mod (9bhp increase under 80% load) that eliminates this by opening the inlet at 2100rpm.

if your car is n/a then the best thing to do is take the manifold off and get a latter 1 that does not have that dual stage inlet or just unscrew the plates in the bar inside the manifold and remove the bar and block the ends up.the reason i say this is because i had a 850 2.0 20v with the same system on and had nothing but trouble with it so i removed all the plates and the car went like the willys then no more restriction mate.and then i fitted a 2.5 20v motor in it with the same manifold deresticted,k/n cone/jetex exhaust now that car was fun.

Mck1
Friday 12th March 2010, 15:27
Just sorted the problem, It was the DIY pipe that i used to connect the cone filter to the top of the air box with the MAF in. The pipe had very slightly come away at the bottom, hence making a strange air flapping noise. Just shows how much air flows through! Regarding the dual stage inlet the VVIS mod should of solved this as now the value opens at 2100rpm instead of 4100rpm. Thank you for all your help.

madhouse
Friday 12th March 2010, 15:46
Glad it was a cheap fix for you! :cool:

smithy
Friday 12th March 2010, 23:27
Just sorted the problem, It was the DIY pipe that i used to connect the cone filter to the top of the air box with the MAF in. The pipe had very slightly come away at the bottom, hence making a strange air flapping noise. Just shows how much air flows through! Regarding the dual stage inlet the VVIS mod should of solved this as now the value opens at 2100rpm instead of 4100rpm. Thank you for all your help.

glad you fixed it mate but i would still take the dual stage thing out it makes one hell of a difference but if you are happy that is what counts though .